Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lumbar Spinal Fusion Surgery????? [trimama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have looked at several websites Dawn about this type of surgery thats why I had been so leary about it. I just wish I could find one person who has had it done like they want to do mine and see how they have recovered. That other email ya sent me for Dr. V didnt go through either.
Quote Reply
Re: Lumbar Spinal Fusion Surgery????? [Cheryl Morgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, sorry for the late chime-in, but I been busy. :-)

I was told by two DFW spine doctors that I needed a spinal fusion and once I had it my running days were over. Not at all what I wanted to hear. Luckily, Dawn contacted me after reading a particularly whiney post here on ST and let me know that I had options.

I practically burned up the phone lines trying to talk to Dr V, hoping that he would give me new hope for continuing my competitive career. Luckily, that is exactly what he did.

Not only did he conclude that I did not need a fusion, but he also told me there was no reason I wouldn't be running and competing again.

I had a two level microdiscectomy at S1/L5 and L4/5 to relieve nerve pain/weakness in my left leg. I never had significant back pain and had always assumed that the worsening pain in my left hamstring and hip were piriformis or hamstring injuries. Lots of wacky treatment and pain ensued. It makes me kind of sick to know I wasted 3 years in pain!

My surgery was on Aug 4, '08 and I was back racing in May of '09. Built up to a HIM in Oct '09 and am signed up for several more, plus the American Triple T and IM AZ, for '10. Pretty good for a 50+ old lady who isn't supposed to be able to run, huh?

Definitely check out all your options, but do send your stuff to V and at least get a consult. I wish I had done so a lot earlier. He is committed to getting athletes back to their old life, and not by just shooting their spine full of steroids like a lot of the docs I saw previously. See what he has to say. You have nothing to lose and lots to gain.

Feel free to pm me with questions or just for a pep talk.

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The mean hospitalization time for AP reconstruction was 7.2 days"

"The total rate of complications was 76.7% for AP reconstruction, including 62.8% major..."

Who is doing the anterior surgeries? 1st Year med students? That is horrific and I would not imagine standard.

While the anterior approach probably does take more time to complete, it had much lower rate of minor complications. I was also referring to quality of life after the surgery. I did not say there wasn't risk and you should make sure you find a qualified doctor.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lumbar Spinal Fusion Surgery????? [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are approaches anteriorly that avoid entering the abdomen and allows the surgeon to fuse the affected level. the surgeons I work with do a 1 level operation in 30 minutes. I would be very concerned and cautious about having my back operated on until i have exhausted all other options. Check out spine health. I would be happy to give the name of the surgeon to you as well. Regards, Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Lumbar Spinal Fusion Surgery????? [YTZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys for all the info you have gave me. This is a W/C injury and I have already had my attorney fight for this Dr I have now not sure they would fight for another. Just had to get away from the quacks they were sending me to. I am probaly going to go ahead and go through the surgery after getting a point of view from all of you. I hurt too bad at times and the good ole Biofreeze aint a working anymore... Thank you all so much I have heard nothing bad from any of yalls recoveries so you have gave me a positive attitude and I appreciate that very much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I called the DR office today they are still trying to get discogram set up for my neck then after that is all done and they see what they need to do there at that time they will set up surgery so not sure how far out tehy schedule surgeries but I was a hoping it would be pretty soon but am not sure now.. Thanks everybody...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm 50 years old, and I had a 2 level spinal fusion apx 6 yrs ago. (L4-L5 and L5-S1). He went in through the front and took out the bad disks and put in the cadaver plugs and closed me up, then flipped me over and put in the bars and screws. I think it was apx a 4 hr surgery. LONG recovery time. For 6 months I went crazy doing their rehab & I really did not get too far. I was getting very disappointed. I quit all their rehabs and I joined the local health club with a pool. (I was not really a swimmer before) I was just a runner before.
Swam like a mad man 3 to 4 times a week. Worked my way up to 1 mile. (I have since joined a masters team and they had to re teach me how to swim as I was doing everything wrong, lol) I have the surgery to thank for turning me into a tri athlete! I just started last season but I love it. I don't have the range of motion I had before, and I do have restrictions, etc... BUT it was the best thing I ever did. If you want more info just let me know, PM me. Bob
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Lumbar Spinal Fusion Surgery????? [Belowe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome to slowtwitch. it sounds you had a hard, but ultimately very helpful, surgery and aftermath. it's a tough way to come into the sport. but, we're glad you're here!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Lumbar Spinal Fusion Surgery????? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought that I'd chime in here. Although I haven't had the fusion surgery, I traveled to Colorado from Iowa in Jan to have a microdiscectomy done by Dr V. The dr. that I saw in Omaha, Ne. basically told me that my days as an active athlete were over. I contacted gleveq and trimama on here and was referred to Dr. V and PT Bob Craney. 3 1/2 weeks post surgery and I'm walking and standing pretty much pain free. I don't think that you could do better than those guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi...I was reading your thread on fusion surgery. I was recently told by a surgeon (who does triathlon) that I am a candidate for fusion surgery.
can you e-mail me dr. V's email address.
I have been talking to people on ST about the surgery and I came across yours.
Thank-you so much
rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with the majority of surgeons is that they are surgeons. They perform their job and than they are done. They can't tell you or gaurantee "how" your body will heal.

With that said, find out who the best surgeon is for your condition and area. Ask the surgeon(s), if it was your back what would you do and who would you have do the surgery to compare notes. The problem with back surgery is that it begans a domino effect as your body ages...the unkown is how much relief will you gain and how long will it last/work until the next time.

"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." Po "The Dragon Warrior", Kung-Fu Panda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi..I am a triathlete who was just told that I am a candidate for fusion surgery on my lower back
I have been reading a lot of posts and I saw you talking about Dr. V.
Can you send me his e-mail. I want to send him my MRI's and see what he thinks my options are before I do anything else.
Thanks alot.
robb1414@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lumbar Spinal Fusion Surgery????? [robb1414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure I will send you his info. I am so sorry you are dealing with this, but there are NO better hands than Alan Villavicencio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much...Yeah its been years now and I tore my ACL 2 years ago and it just seemed to get worse after that.
I got a cortisone injection at it seemed to hold it off a little but it came back and now I deal with it every day again. I thought maybe it was just the herniation and maybe a microdisectomy would help but pain isn't down my leg anymore and the surgeon I spoke to thinks it is the compressed discs.
Chronic back pain is horrible...(you start to treat your kids different) Such a bad quality of life.
I appreciate your reply and the e-mail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many levels did you have fused?
Quote Reply

Prev Next