Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post-WF and Alcatraz
Quote | Reply
I saw Terry Davis last night and mentioned the idea of having the announcers go over bike rules (ride to the right and stay there unless passing) prior to every wave. He said that could be done and agreed, the more and more you make new people aware of the rules the better, but still, people have to pay attention or read the emails they send out. He also joking suggested putting a big sticker on the handlebars of every bike that comes into transition saying "STAY RIGHT". We also mulled over how do you get out the rules/riding manners/etc. to people who aren't in an area with a big club presence. Haven't figured that one out.

Any other suggestions, feel free to pass them on to TriCal, or to me and I''ll pass them along.

Alcatraz: Who all will be there? Preparations are ramping up.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post-WF and Alcatraz [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cathy, I noticed at a recent tri that announcements become a part of the background noise after a while, at least for me. I think a large double sided sign at the entrance and exit of the bike transition stating RIDE ON RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS OR YOU WILL BE PENALIZED might do the trick. Large unclutterd signs usually work.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't agree more pertaining to the "Keep to the Right" issue. It's not the swim that makes this the most dangerous Triathlon (IMHO). With the increase of participants from 1,000 to 1,400 last year, the bike course was more than congested. The course is way too technical not to follow the rules with that many people on it.

Didn't they drop it back to 1,000 triathletes this year? If memory serves me correctly it's listed as 1,400 in this month's Triathlete magazine. Maybe I'm mistaken. Either way I'll be back this year with my two Mad Dog racin' buddies. It'll be the 3rd year in a row that we race Alcatraz together. This is getting to be a habit. Gotta' love that "Left" Coast racing.

I heard the water is warm this year... LOL!!!!!!

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I discussed this with some women in my club and I was dismayed that the general consensus was this: They are aware of the rules, but they just aren't thinking about them when they race. They don't think, "Am I far enough behind the bike in front of me?" or "Am I as far to the right as I can safely ride?" They just ride, like they do in training. Being a bit of a goody-goody, I am thinking of these things constantly.

I really do think that RDs need to do something that requires a response from the athletes, like a rules quiz/questionnaire on the entry form or at the registration table. But that would be one more thing for the RDs to deal with, and I imagine it would be an administrative nightmare. But think about it, if Tri-California made some sort of rules test a prerequisite for entering their races, you can bet people would be lining up to take it.

Alcatraz has the benefit of having the mandatory and well-attended pre-race meeting. No one in their right mind would miss that meeting because you need the swim instructions. Unfortunately, at pre-race meetings and in pre-wave-start talks, you can't force people to pay attention.

I think the handlebar sticker is a good idea! The refs can check for bar-end plugs at the same time. :)

I'll be at Alcatraz... gonna do the full bike/run this Saturday.
Quote Reply
Re: Post-WF and Alcatraz [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What club are you in?

Thanks for the responses. I'll pass them along to Terry. I also like the quiz idea!

As for water temp.....check back in a few weeks. It seems to change daily. I may brave it and hit the bay Thursday evening. Or, maybe not.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Embarcadero YMCA women's tri club. I am in the process of resurrecting our club newsletter and I'm going to devote some space to this topic.

If Tri-California does institute some registration-related rules testing, they have to make sure it applies to the TNT folks, too. I know that TNT signs up their athletes outside of the normal registration procedures (at least they do for marathons).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a sign on the back of everyone's bike that says (in big letters) "Keep right", and (in small letters) "If you can read this, you're too close!"?
Quote Reply
Re: Post-WF and Alcatraz [CarolJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be good for a jersey. :)

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also suggest just putting signs along the bike route with the rules. I actually read the quotes on along the WF bike course...in between rain drops.

Glad you are addressing this.

One other point I would recommend - seemingly the spectator crossing and lining along the bike and run lanes near transitions are very very danagerous. I personally have seen two riders nail spectators who crossed without even looking. I strongly suggest putting more volunteers along the area to direct spectators.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'm looking at it now. The June issue of Triathlete Magazine says 1,400 athletes this year. The website says 1,000+. Which is correct? Two boats again? If so it'll be signs with the rules listed on the back of our bikes, and cow-catchers on the front... (or would that be a drafting penalty?)

Also when I got home from work I noticed that my wife left "The Alcatraz Swimmer's Manual" by Joe Oakes, on the table. It's a good read. Clear, concise etc... Joe did the swim brief last year. He's worth listening too.

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call me a cynic, but I've yet to find a freeway where drivers understand the drive on the right, pass on the left concept ... is there hope that those on bikes will ever get it?

vogel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first Alcatraz! 2 weeks after Keauhou, so just finish is my goal. Actually my priority for all races! Do I really need 2 pairs of shoes for this race?

Aloha
Quote Reply
Re: Post-WF and Alcatraz [Navi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, but you'll have a 3/4 mile barefoot run on cement and gravel path if you don't.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply