Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I love that old Bottechia...in the orginal red paint scheme of course, not the horrendous "Z" team paint job of the top photo...blechh...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know that thing weighed, like, 26 pounds?!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You know that thing weighed, like, 26 pounds?!

So? Weight isn't everything for TT bikes...you know that ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on how nice that bottecia frame looks

while on the subject of nostalgia from the tech revolution ...

1 piece aerobars (scott 100k bars) ...

http://www.peletoneast.com/showthread.php?t=7164

trilites..

the slingshot

or gripshift and 26 inch wheels and pink majic motorcycle parts (including lightweight spoke nipples)

light kevlar discwheels

ken souza mankini

the waterbottle bra

compressed air powered drinking systems (bikestream)

springloaded armrests

no frills trisuit suit

nofrills runners

Last edited by: lacticturkey: Jan 8, 10 6:00
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow I do like your photo collection of the cool gadgets as they developed. Some look pretty dangerous and quite unusual.

G.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the scott 100k bars were very minimal... i think the next version was called scott Y1 bars which basically removed one of the handextensions so you held it with one hand above the other , moving one shifter to the frame , with brakes angled like fishhooks on the side ...

Last edited by: lacticturkey: Jan 8, 10 6:26
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Trust how you train. THAT is the most important thing. After that, decide what your limiters are and figure out how to address then. Maybe a gadget will solve a problem. Maybe it won't. You don't need a gadget on your bike to use the best gadget around - your BRAIN.

Amen. I do believe that the best triathletes are above average in intelligence but not enough of us really question the simple stuff. it's just too easy to get caught up in fancy wind tunnel graphs, stiffness claims, and grams when new products come out. As a result, we are often our own worse enemies.

I just saw the new issue of Inside Tri with Chrissy on the cover. I stared at the picture for 5 minutes. Bike, good wheels, simple computer, bottles, watch. No compression. No aero helmet. No PT. No extension mounted water bottle. It seemed pretty pure. It made me want to throw a bunch of stuff out.

Some of my best runs and ride are when I get lost. Leave the house with no route. Just a watch and target time. No gear. Keep it simple.

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Trust how you train. THAT is the most important thing. After that, decide what your limiters are and figure out how to address then. Maybe a gadget will solve a problem. Maybe it won't. You don't need a gadget on your bike to use the best gadget around - your BRAIN.

Amen. I do believe that the best triathletes are above average in intelligence but not enough of us really question the simple stuff. it's just too easy to get caught up in fancy wind tunnel graphs, stiffness claims, and grams when new products come out. As a result, we are often our own worse enemies.

I just saw the new issue of Inside Tri with Chrissy on the cover. I stared at the picture for 5 minutes. Bike, good wheels, simple computer, bottles, watch. No compression. No aero helmet. No PT. No extension mounted water bottle. It seemed pretty pure. It made me want to throw a bunch of stuff out.

Some of my best runs and ride are when I get lost. Leave the house with no route. Just a watch and target time. No gear. Keep it simple.

In my opinion, that's NOT using your brain. An extension mounted bottle is free speed. There's no reason not to do it. Regarding getting "lost" on a run - how do you know it was a "best" run? I.e., you might have really enjoyed it, but did it help your training? Did you actually get a benefit from it? All much harder to answer if you have no plan, no route, etc. Using your brain is not the same as turning it off. SOMETIMES it is, but as you said "not enough of us really question the simple stuff." In my book simple stuff is things like "how far/fast did I run today? And how does that fit in with my training plan?" Why do you think Sutton has his athletes do so much work on the track? So that he knows how fast/far they are running.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The most powerfull gadget we still underuse is our brain and self knowledge!
Just finished reading http://chuckiev.blogspot.com/ this blog post that addresses part of the issue that sometimes is even more wrong whe we talk about coaching.
Cheers, Marcos

http://www.marcosapenedoamaral.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Take Lance as the counter example. Lance used pretty much EVERY gadget out there. He dedicated an entire team to gadgets - The "F1 Team." And he won 7 TdFs. As you said, Chrissie is the only woman who really meets the "elite" time level relative to the men. I will be interested to see what happens if (when) Norden, Moffat, Snowsill, or any of the other women who currently meet the time standard in ITU come to long course. Then we'll see some real racing, if only because they won't give interviews saying "well, at least she won't beat us by as much." Those girls are like Chrissie. They expect to win.

But as to the question at hand. Do you need gadgets? Absolutely not. But if you are talking about trying to maximize performance, then I think they help a lot. Lance used a powermeter in training every year he won a Tour. The vast majority of pro peloton racers use them now, even in racing (since the weight penalty is now not really there with the ligher PMs and lighter frames). I think that's quite compelling.

I guess it's up to you if you want to take Lance or Chrissie as your role model for technologies role in helping you train and race. Lance was the ultimate techno-geek. Personally, I'll take Lance, but I don't think it really matters which way you go. You just have to believe in the path you choose. If you have gadgets but don't trust them that is just as bad as not having gadgets and wishing for them.

I found this thread from a while back and can we all just take a moment to laugh at this since this was 2010 and he admitted in 2013 haha
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [TruffleShuffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whoa... blast from the past. I actually did have some pretty good advice in there though that I should have listened to myself. C'est la vie... The Lance part is fairly ironic though. Reminds me a lot of the whole "marginal gains" nonsense from SKY. Yeah, "marginal gains" ... and corticosteroids.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"... I guess it's up to you if you want to take Lance or Chrissie as your role model for technologies role in helping you train and race".

Err... I think I'll take Chrissie as my role model 😎
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
whoa... blast from the past. I actually did have some pretty good advice in there though that I should have listened to myself. C'est la vie... The Lance part is fairly ironic though. Reminds me a lot of the whole "marginal gains" nonsense from SKY. Yeah, "marginal gains" ... and corticosteroids.

Love hearing this from the real Jordan Rapp.

In an interview with Mark Zeigler of the San Diego tribune he mentioned a lot of the exotic "recovery" stuff we were fed in the early 2000s about our favorite athletes were just to attempt to cover the drug fueled gains. (Oh we have him on an ice bath for 30 minutes after each session, stretches for an hour, eats 25grahms of brand x protein mix also)

Chrissie is/was a combination of fight to the death work ethic and freaky genetics.
One of Chrissie's very first races was the London Marathon (2002) in 3:08 and didn't know how to train or run one.

Ok, when I was a young local running hotshot - none of my faster friends pulled off a 3:08 marathon, after they finished 1st in local 5ks and 10ks multiple times per year.
How often do you hear, first marathon, first race, didn't know how to train, didn't know what I was doing = 3hr 08minutes.... It's usually 5:08 and they rode in an ambulance :)
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [TruffleShuffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha... brilliant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha not knockin on ya mate - just thought it was funny. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Quote Reply

Prev Next