Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dissed at the LBS
Quote | Reply
Let me tell you a situation about what had happened to me today. I will then ask for your advice.

I went into a trusted local shop (to remain nameless) with the intention of two things: to get some cleats for my shoes, and to put a down payment on a pair of the Hed bars. After a chat with the owner, I I went to look these bars over. I was about to put some money down (which was kind of agreed upon by the owner and another employee), when I was informed that first of all "these bars are going as soon as they come in. We can put aside another pair (from the next shipment) for lay away." Fine.

But the insult came when I was to put some money down. I did not see the sign concerning lay away policies, which was my mistake. I was to put down 10%, but the policy was 20%. I only had 10% in my pocket. Fine, except the the bars I had looked at were not even going to be my bars. I was not going to even have any put aside until the next shipment.

Then, the big insult came: "I know that you come in here all the time, but we simply have to have 20%". This was okay, except that I feel that a) I was not going to have any bars put aside until the next shipment, which is next month. b) By the time the next shipment was going to come, I would have had atleast 50% down, if not more. c) The new regime in this shop does not realise that I have bought several thousands of dollars worth of bikes and spare parts over the years, have used their labour department extensively (less so when I did find a local guy to do some grunt work, but this shop is very far away from me), d) referred many, many people to this shop, and they have spent a lot of money there, and e) They did not even try to negotiate with me on this. I did not bring it up.

I went ahead and purchased my cleats, as I did have them get them for me. But after getting into my car, I felt the anger bubble in my blood. I was not so angry about the policy, but the way it was handled. They acted like they did not even want to do lay away at all, then wanted me to put 20% down on bars that did not exist in the store inventory. I feel that I was wronged as I have been coming there for seven years, and the first purchase I made was for an $1100 wheelset, then spending no less than $150-250 once every other month (on average), not including the bikes I have bought.

This is where I ask for advice:

Should I write a letter to the owner about how I was treated?

Should I just never come back to that shop ever again?
Quote Reply
Re: Dissed at the LBS [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bunnyman,

"Should I write a letter to the owner about how I was treated?"

YES, they absolutely need to know how you feel about the whole experience. Think about it, why would they change their behavior if nobody ever complains about it? There is nothing wrong about stating in writing ones feeling. If you are afraid about getting too emotional in the letter, allow yourself one night and then read/correct it. Giving your feedback is the best you can do in your own interest but also in the interest of the LBS and all its customers.

"Should I just never come back to that shop ever again?"

That one is a little more difficult to call. It seems like it should really be your decision to make. You wrote on that forum just after this happened to you; time will probably help you look at this experience with distance and make that decision. The response from the LBS to your letter could also help you decide where you will bring your business.

I hope that helped...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't there, but it sounds like you are over reacting a bit. It sounds like they are pretty good shop. Think about giving them a break over the $50. Sometimes bunnies just have to shrug their shoulders and be the bigger man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was the owner not present at the time? I got the impression that you dealt primarily with him/her. I feel that you certainly should have been given a little leeway given your history with the shop, and would have called for the owner immediately upon meeting with "resistance" from the sales staff.

Definitely write the owner a letter stating your displeasure with the service you recieved. LBS' just can't afford to give shitty service. As for never going back there, I'd be inclined to give them a second chance. You must travel that distance to shop there (and for 7 years) for some reason...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cant you find a better shop? maybe they were busy, are they normally like that?
Quote Reply
Rabbit season is open [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Wabbit, I have been spending lots of money in bike stores since 1968. I have never put anything down on any thing. I would find another shop as my "main store". Believe me there are stores that when they "know" ,you tell them that you want one of "those" things when they get some in and they should hold one for you without a deposit. Every town I have lived in I have found a shop like that. Hope you find a good one. That is what is so cool about bikeshops when they know and care about their riders.G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

why is there a need for a deposit? When I go to my LBS and tell them "I want a HED bar" they'd order one for me. Why would I have to pay some money in before receiving the bar? Don't they trust you?

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To answer your questions: no, the shop was not really busy, this is the best shop in the area (as I live in a pretty hickey area), and I don't feel that I had over reacted. I still purchased my cleats, after all.

Sh*t like this makes an awfully good case for mail order. This shop has gotten way too big for it's breeches. I almost feel like doing everything I can to persuade people from going there. I mean, these guys dissed Dan's FIST system.

If I could do it, I would open my own shop and make sure to put these guys out of business. The owner also had told me he did not have an active role in running things day-to-day. This is where the other attitudes from other employees came in.

I am feeling that my letter would not make a difference. The worst thing is that if I need these guys for anything like headtube facing, they're the ONLY gig in the area. I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face, but what had happened can't go unpunished.

Maybe in a couple of days, I could write the letter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I feel like that, I write the letter but don't send it. If you feel the same way in a few days, write another one and send that.

Good luck,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've purchased my fair share of expensive items over the years from my favorite LBS and have never needed a deposit. Here is what may be the trade off, In the areas I've moved to, I've also assessed the shops initially like we all do. In the end, the shop that gets the nod isn't always the shop with all the new/latest hi-tech stuff, rather, the shop that makes you feel welcome when you come in. You know, the ones that give your kids candy and even recognize your wife since she picks stuff up for you all the time. Sure, they may not have all the cool stuff but generally they are more than willing to get it for you and you may be able to just call them up and say I want X and it's as simple as that.

What has really been nice and I hate to generalize all shops but, I've never bargained price or complained (after all, I can just buy mail order if the price offends me) but after a few visits and/or rides with some staff I just seem to get that special price on all my purchases. In my main shop now I often get the employee rate and I've never asked for it.

In short, I probably wouldn't stay a repeat customer as it seems there is not much of a benefit in doing so. The market/economy has a funny way of sorting things like this out over time . . . LBS have to provide quality service/customer relations in this day and age.
Quote Reply
Re: Dissed at the LBS [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depends on how that particular shop is run...there is an insane amount of overhead in the bike business, so to have 300 dollars floating around without having a return for it, while they know they will get it back, is still tough to do. every one of those cases adds up. i'm not defending what they did or how they handled the situation, just try yo look at it from their point of view.

either way, it was handled poorly. i wouldn't bother writing a letter, because if i know bike shops, especially ones where the owner isn't involved in day to day stuff (i've worked for shops like that in the past) the letter will fall on deaf ears and won't make it's way to the people that matter...the ones who disses you. they feel like they can have that attitude becasue their is no accountability for their actions. it's not their money running the shop, so they don't feel bad when a customer walks away and never comes back.

tommy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my LBS days: If it was a special order on an item that is not a good seller, we used to ask for a deposit. If it was an item we knew we would sell easily should you not pick it up, we did not. If it was something coming on on the pre-season or fill-in order, no deposit and we just set it aside for you. If we had a hot seller and we knew we could get more in, we would probably sell yours even if you had a deposit on it.

However, then we got the new computer system. And some "manager" began taking over all the ordering and special ordering. They set up the computer where you could not special order anything without paying for it in advance. Thay also charged you shipping. You could not lay-away without the required deposit- 20% I believe. The whole thing became a pain-in-the-butt. Special orders dropped, items weren't pulled when they came in, and people were getting pissed off. Regular items were never even in stock. I reached a point where I just told people it would be easier to order off the net. I quit working there shortly thereafter.

Over 90% of people who get poor service at a store just quietly walk out. Less than 10% will say anything. My experience has shown that you cannot tell shop owners anything. I joined the 90%. I just spend my money elsewhere.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the bars are going as fast as the come in, why would they need a deposit? I have a good relationship with my LBS and get good pricing, I do pay for items in advance to keep from using his working capital on me. I have seen others order special equipment and never pick it up. Remember your LBS is not a bank if you got a good deal on the bars your LBS may be trying to offset his costs. I would still contact the owner if you have concerns, good & bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would send this exact letter to the owner. When I owned my shop I had employees and managers do things that made me and the shop look very bad AND lose customers. I can tell you that bike shops NEED to keep all customers. There is way to much compitition in St. Louis to lose a good customer. Masa, Maplewood, Big Shark all compete for the same group of racers.
You have been a great about telling people to find a good LBS and use it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After thinking about it we only asked a deposit if it was a special order. This item was not. Also we never asked a deposit from our repeat customers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it was a shop in Maplewood the new young guy there told me John Cobb only understands windtunnel not real life riding situations. Said he should come to the Mid west to see how it should be done. Also said he had to refit someone fit with John.
My brother and I have laughed about this many times , it's now an inside joke. but he's just a young guy . The shop is trying hard to become a great tri shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug:

I don't think you are overreacting. I think that you should write a letter for sure. That's straight out wrong of them to act that way. I think that most LBS are sensative to customers financial situation, especially if you purchase frequently. Especially after 7 years. I don't see what the big deal is... What do they need the additional 10% for? That's insane. In the letter, state your dissatisfaction of them willing to work with you.

So I would get the bars elsewhere. The problem is, what do you do when you need something in an emergency situation. Having thr LBS close by is key, so I wouldn't burn the bridges down completely. But I would certainly would try my best to get all future components and bike equipment at a different LBS.

Cheers!

Fran
Quote Reply
Re: Dissed at the LBS [Tommy Nelson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In this specific situation I don't think that there would be 300 dollars fo inventory floating around. As Bunnyman said they can't keep these in stock... Now if this was a expensive special order for an obscure part... that would be different.
Quote Reply
Update [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to solve my own problem. I am just going to mellow out and not get any bars. I had thought of ordering them elsewhere, but am holding off for right now. I may return to the shop in question, but it will be a very long time before I do so. I may just make a pair.

Dropping this may be the very best thing to do. I am exercising restraint. I will just rely more upon mail order and only lean on someone when I need some sorts of mechanical repairs. I can perform many of these, but it's the things that require the big tools that I do not posess that is why I need a shop.

I have not made an issue with the owner, and I certainly will not make it one. I am just going to let it go and give them a chance later. I have a tendency to write great letters that have inspired action (sometimes good, sometimes bad), and in the end, the policy is as it stands.

Maybe the fact that my habits have dropped a bit over the years has contributed. I don't whip out the plastic like I used to, as I have been trying to control it (and am winning the battle over the plastic). I did want to buck this trend of not buying like I used to, as I liked this shop. Since I do have to travel, I do sometimes buy from whomever has it in stock locally. My last bike was not from there, as I could only find a Fox at Nytro.

I do prefer the shop that I felt that I was not treated correctly in. But, I am going to rely on a few others until they let me down.
Quote Reply
Re: Update [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am going to solve my own problem. I am just going to mellow out and not get any bars. I had thought of ordering them elsewhere, but am holding off for right now. I may return to the shop in question, but it will be a very long time before I do so. I may just make a pair.

Dropping this may be the very best thing to do. I am exercising restraint. I will just rely more upon mail order and only lean on someone when I need some sorts of mechanical repairs. I can perform many of these, but it's the things that require the big tools that I do not posess that is why I need a shop.

I have not made an issue with the owner, and I certainly will not make it one. I am just going to let it go and give them a chance later. I have a tendency to write great letters that have inspired action (sometimes good, sometimes bad), and in the end, the policy is as it stands.

Maybe the fact that my habits have dropped a bit over the years has contributed. I don't whip out the plastic like I used to, as I have been trying to control it (and am winning the battle over the plastic). I did want to buck this trend of not buying like I used to, as I liked this shop. Since I do have to travel, I do sometimes buy from whomever has it in stock locally. My last bike was not from there, as I could only find a Fox at Nytro.

I do prefer the shop that I felt that I was not treated correctly in. But, I am going to rely on a few others until they let me down.

Bunny - dude you may not really want to go for the HED's anyway ... hear me out.

See for me they work perfectly becuse I do not ride out of the aerobars except to feather the brakes at the TT turnaround.

But for Tri folks - especially those who bike well - the bars may be too flexy.

See these bars do flex quite a bit, much more than my Syntace C2's from a while back. It is not very confidence inspiring and feels sponge-like.

Anyway, I would look at the Oval TT bar, which is very nice and thin. I would go for that bar if I were doing tri's and not TT's. Seriously, the flexiness is annoying.

But in my case it may actually absord road shock and be better for my ride on some rough TT courses (plus it's very aero) ... but like I said I ride the aerobars 99.9 % of the time.

Gary
Last edited by: Gary in SD: May 13, 03 12:11
Quote Reply