Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Exercise With Oxygen Therapy
Quote | Reply
I know many of you guys are cutting edge so I decided to post this here. You will see more and more about this therapy called EWOT over the next ten years for sure. It is amazing stuff and I just wrote a book on it.

To Purchase
https://www.createspace.com/3402735

https://www.createspace.com/3402735
Last edited by: Jeff Spicoli: Dec 27, 09 4:33
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise With Oxygen Therapy [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your publication.

What's it about?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise With Oxygen Therapy [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

We use have patients exercise while on high flow oxygen concentrators. They work up to 30 minutes 3X's per week at 10L/min. This is a European thing that like most great therapies, is slow to hit America. I am six months in and its amazing how it helps different problems. Right now I am targeting the insomnia market. Check out this guy from last week
http://www.youtube.com/...#p/a/u/1/xYZBM1ZiIDc

PS. Thanks for the info on Mt. Lemmon. We are hitting it in March..or maybe it will be hitting us :)
Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So more to target health problems than fitness - interesting idea.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To the best of my knowledge, nobody has used this therapy to super-saturate prior to exercise (let me know if I am wrong). It is probably illegal sport-wise to use it this way. I dont think we would like to see someone on the beach breathing in 10L/min of 02 prior to the swim start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering that people are 98-99% saturated with oxygen at seal level, how are you going to load much more oxygen with your "therapy"? You realize that oxygen is toxic in high concentrations right? Have you ever seen someone with oxygen toxicity? You realize that hospitals cycle people on and off oxygen for this reason right? Only a small percentage of the most fit athletes desaturate at or above VO2 max intensity. Nobody races at those intensities. Even if they did, oxygen "therapy" would help only while they are breathing oxygen. You can't lug an oxygen tank with you.

This is bogus BS until you prove otherwise with peer reviewed science.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a little bit aware of EWOT but can't help but wonder if this is the latest gimmick. It's well known oxygen therapy is used for numerous medical conditions, pulmonary rehab and certain breathing conditions come to mind, but there are now people on the rubber chicken circuit claiming everything from stopping the aging process and curing cancer using oxygen therapy. It seems like it could be one of these things that is blown out of proportion by people trying to make a fast buck.

Some people are also claiming increased athletic performance but I'd be very interested to hear what Andy Coggan or any other exercise physiologist researchers would have to say about using this.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise With Oxygen Therapy [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ONE study listed on the EWOT web site is this one: http://www.ewot.com/Docts/Astorino1.pdf

All this one shows is the possible cause for increased exercise performance at VO2 max intensities. Athletes can hold VO2 max intensities for longer on oxygen supplementation. This is not a new finding and has been known for years. I am not sure how this would be helpful unless you did a significant amount of your training at these intensities, and even then, so what? Improved VO2 max (if that would occur), does not necessarily mean an improvement in performance. Power or pace at lactate threshold is a much better measure of performance.

I would need to see several studies showing an improved TRAINING EFFECT (not just an acute effect) of training on oxygen to be convinced. In the absence of that evidence, it looks like snake oil.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise With Oxygen Therapy [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Considering that people are 98-99% saturated with oxygen at seal level, how are you going to load much more oxygen with your "therapy"? You realize that oxygen is toxic in high concentrations right? Have you ever seen someone with oxygen toxicity? You realize that hospitals cycle people on and off oxygen for this reason right? Only a small percentage of the most fit athletes desaturate at or above VO2 max intensity. Nobody races at those intensities. Even if they did, oxygen "therapy" would help only while they are breathing oxygen. You can't lug an oxygen tank with you.

This is bogus BS until you prove otherwise with peer reviewed science.

I agree with you. O2 in higher concentrations can cause coma (believe it or not), I have seen it happen in the hospital where I work. This is all BS about 02 therapy and trying to milk athletes off by offering them higher performance. Don't put anything in your body and train hard and right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think his book is about using it for TRAINING - from what he answered to my post, it was for rehab.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't think his book is about using it for TRAINING - from what he answered to my post, it was for rehab.

Maybe he is not making that claim YET? Stand by.

The study I posted is from the EWOT site, which is making that claim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike,
Great questions and I understand the sceptic in you is on high alert. There are about 1000 offices around the country using this therapy. While it is not a panacea, from what I have seen in the last year using it, there are amazing things that happen.
Here is some info for you. RBC's are 97% saturated with O2. No more is getting in from the therapy but....the plasma has been shown to become more saturated post-O2 therapy. Law of Mass Action (higher concentration to lower one) allows the O2 to pass into tissues as it travels through the body in the plasma. Yes, O2 can be toxic, but in lower concentrated doses, it is therapeutic.
I have seen some super-sick people turn their lives around on it.
Like anything else, studies need to be done, but there are those who lead the fields and push the envelope and there are those that wait for the studies to be done.
Get my book, it explains it in detail if you are interested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"there are those who lead the fields and push the envelope and there are those that wait for the studies to be done."

You mean like the guys that are claiming they can "stop" the aging process and cure cancer with oxygen. C'mon doc, we both know that testimonials just don't cut it.

I went to chiro college also, but we learned nothing about oxygen therapy when I was there. What are your other qualifications to hold your self up as an expert on oxygen therapy?

As I pointed out earlier, there are a lot of proven medical uses for oxygen therapy. I read a study just last week claiming that it helped with chronic headache sufferers, but it I also want to see the studies before I believe its a panacea. You can send me a copy of your book however.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise With Oxygen Therapy [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are both in a profession where we get a bunch of hot air blown our way. I was a sceptic also until I started to study it a bit more. Once I bought a couple of 02 generators and saw what it did to people, I was hooked. Von Ardenne did wrote this book years ago where lots of this was studied.

http://books.google.com/...p;q=&f=falseRead

Spend 6.99 on my book and it could be the best investment you ever spent. :)

Watch these videos of my patients...testimonials "just dont cut it" but here you go anyway. Just because there are not any double blinded placebo controlled studies out there doesnt mean we dont do it. If that was the case, then half the adjustments we perform wouldnt be allowed....never mind the supplements we take.

1. Fibro
2. Dizziness
3. Insomnia
http://www.youtube.com/...#p/a/f/1/jSGcNUABDTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYZBM1ZiIDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Y-E7vVvmE
Last edited by: Jeff Spicoli: Dec 27, 09 14:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen oxygen being used with spinal traction, but am not really sure why. They only time I ever carried oxygen was when teaching scuba diving. It's used for decompression sickness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peer reviewed journal articles?
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise With Oxygen Therapy [sburke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
none that I no of. I am in the process of trying to get one going right now for Lyme Disease. We just had a patients CD 57 marker go from 14 to 50 in 30 days on the therapy. That is a 357% increase. Unheard of....but whose going to fund these studies though...drug companies??? Its tough when you see the potential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Answer: "none that I no of"

Question: Is there any disease process or athletic endeavor that oxygen therapy will not improve?
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise With Oxygen Therapy [KLG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will cure what ails ya!

Reminds me of Aun't Bee's Medicine Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-TiKb8b6o8

or this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2JEQXezhA
Quote Reply