Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rant: Bike handling skills
Quote | Reply
My first race of the season was yesterday; a duathlon. I noticed that most of the triathletes have poor bike handling skills at best. They choose the wrong line in corners and cant even ride in a straight line. I passed about 15 people just in corners (there was only 8-10 corners in a 25km bike leg)!

I was 50-something place in T1 and I came in 14th off the bike so its not like Im passing BOPer's or even MOPers. A lot of riders would swerve across the road as they turned to look at me passing them. I had to cross the yellow line to avoid a collision several times. You would think/hope the elite athletes would know how to ride safely.

End of rant.

What can be done about this? Should there be announcements before every wave start along the lines of stay right, look ahead, etc? This stuff should be obvious but from the way triathletes ride its not!
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Bike handling skills [74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look back a few weeks you'll see that there was some discussion about this. I had a very scary time on the bike leg at St. Anthony's, passing a few hundred people during the ride... then I wrote a rant with the adrenaline still surging and got flamed.

Look back in my posts and you should be able to find it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing you were at the wetn'windy Brick too. I hear you on the lack of bike handling skills. I did hear Kevin go over all the rules of the road about a bazillion times before the race started. Maybe they all just ingored him? Or maybe felt they were fast enough to ride the yellow line the entire time, or had the skills to take a wet turn sharper and faster than I can (almost taking me out in the process) I'm a MOP'er so I probably had to contend with the worst of the offenders. Very annoying. Of course, when you see people that don't even know how to change gears on the bike, I suppose you shouldn't expect anything less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the mass influx of people who think they can ride a bike and then go do a race (or charity ride or whatever). This weekend was a totally beautiful weekend and there were hundreds of people out on bikes. I saw problems all over the place with all groups.

* Roadies who feel they own the road (or the narrow bike path). Riding up on people, trying to pass on the narrow bike path with people coming both directions instead of waiting 30 seconds for an opening.

* Big groups of riders (one was triathletes, not sure who the other was), both merging into a really narrow area to ride up onto the Golden Gate Bridge. Someone decides to STOP IN THE PATH, which caused a massive backup of about 30 riders. Luckily, no one went down. Yes, it was on an uphill.

* "New" riders who wobble all over the place, swerving back and forth in the bike lane, pushing faster riders into the traffic lane.

* Same new riders who hit the brakes when approaching oncoming riders in a narrow area (i.e., the Bridge). People...you can ride a straighter line going a little faster.

* TOURISTS ON BIKES! My God! Stopping and getting off where everyone has to make two turns to go around the towers of the Bridge. HELLO==that is NOT the most opportune place to stop and take a picture.

* TNT (yes, of course) runners who stand around in groups on the heavily traveled bike path and then jump around, almost knocking other (non-TNT) runners over, who then have to jump out of the way, almost into the path of a cyclist.

But, the fantastic day more than made up for it. Now, if I could find my cycling legs.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Bike handling skills [KDM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at the Subaru Brick Duathlon in Waterloo. I heard the race announcer go over the rules of the road several times before the start but who really listens to them while your setting up/warming up. The rules of the road should be repeated for each wave as they toe the start line, at least then there is no excuse of ignorance because if your at the start line youve heard the rules.

I don’t want to get down on the wobbly, swervy, scary people as I think its an issue of education and enforcement. I guess most triathletes don’t ride with roadies, don’t see at least one accident every ride and hence don’t realise how easily/quickly a crash can happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can deal with the swerves, the lack of straight lines, etc etc. But I can't stand coming up behind someone when they blow snot out of their nose and I can feel it on my legs and arms. What's up with that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said this issue has been addressed in a couple of recent threads.

I am from the old school and back in the day we road with roadies for much of our training thus, we learned and practiced basic and advanced bike handling skills every time we went out for a ride.

Now with the rapid influx of people into the sport(see Dan's recent article on this), many are coming into the sport with no bike handing skills at all - and many don't seem to care. However, even some basic rudimentry training in how to ride a road/tri bike would be beneficial. I am loath to suggest that this type of course or training be a mandetory part of entry into a first race, but it sure would save a great deal of frustration and ensure the safety of everyone on the bike.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One last subcategory to add to the rant: bikers who blow by you when you're running without any "on your left" or other announcement. Obviously most of us on this board run and bike so it's particularly galling when a cyclist almost runs you down during a long run on a multi-use path or narrow shoulder.

Naturally I try to run a pretty straight line but it's only a matter of time before I stop to tie a shoe or reach back for a water bottle and have an unholy collision with the guy who was just sneaking by within 3 inches of my shoulder going 25...
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Bike handling skills [KDM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Is taking the "wrong line" in a turn against the rules? Should that be part of the pre-race briefing?
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Bike handling skills [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm guessing paths around something such as the Golden Gate bridge were intended for general public leisure use, yet it sounds like you're upset that people were using them in a leisurely manner instead of accepting that these paths are for Serious Athletic Purposes only. Isn't that like showing up at the Y on family swim night and getting upset that all those damn kids are ruining your quality sets? In Chicago the lakefront has miles of bike paths. They are a great diversion and a fantastic diversion, but usually a terrible place to try to get a good training ride in. For "serious" on-road riding, the best place to be is usually, well, on roads.

And I love to see tourists on bikes! It means they're not in cars or buses, plus I'm actually faster than some of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Bike handling skills [pyker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>yet it sounds like you're upset that people were using them in a leisurely manner instead of accepting that these paths are for Serious Athletic Purposes only.<<

You are totally incorrect. I personally ride leisurely over the Bridge and have no problem with others who do. What I have a problem with are the people who STOP and then block the entire path. It's three almost completely blind 60 degree turns (left/right/left; reverse going the other way). If you are going even 10 mph and suddenly come up on total blockage, someone is going to get hurt. Or, those who slow down so much that they get the wobbles (remember, you ride a straighter line with a little speed). There are many place along the Bridge where the path is narrowed because of equipment. Come on out and ride it sometime and see for yourself.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
'Insert clever subject here' [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We should arm all course marshels with shotguns and bazookas. This way there will never be a repeat offender. And you could have guard dogs at the water stations to make sure no one took more than their share of liqueds. What the sport of triathlon really needs to do is bite down hard on all of these beginers and people of lesser talent.
"Look there goes some one in the middle of the road" BOOM, not any more. "Hey, some one cut me off" bang bang bang, "Wait, there goes Spencer Smith drafting at Hawii" KABAM! No more problem.
Try being a little more patient with beginers, we all were at one point. As far as Elite people go, as per USAT rules Elite waves are no longer allowed, nobody cares about that, but it is in the rules.
I don't mean to negate your point,I've had the same problems. Just try my strategy, Get out of T1 and onto the bike before anybody else gets there.

Good luck and happy ranting

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got to totally agree with Cathy on this one. As a courteous user of any recreational path, know who's around you on the path and know where you are on the path, including relative pace. In other words, stay in your lane of traffic unless *safely* passing and know that, when you're not the fastest one using the lane, others will be zipping by you. If you're a runner, bikes and rollerblades will be passing you. If you stop moving, move off of the path, if possible, else as far to the side as possible. If you're about to suddenly slow down (i.e. at the end of a pick-up), be sure you're on the far outside of the lane. If you're going to make a turn across the path, look over your shoulder first to see with whom you might be colliding if you didn't! On the other hand, if you plan on rolling 25mph on your bike, don't try using a path densely populated with people moving at a much more leisurely pace.
My $.02.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My mistake, sorry. And I would like to see it, will check it out if I'm ever out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this extends way beyond races... hel, I have been dontown shopping and witnessed people that stop and have a conversation while others are trying to get through... or in an office hallway... would you do this on and interstate? Many people are just oblivious!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Bike handling skills [M.S.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

A couple of years ago in London "Operation Tugboat" tried to get a "fast lane" for pedestrians created on the sidewalks of Oxford street, complete with fines for walking too slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in the SF area 10 years ago. Glad to hear things haven't changed:) My favorite incident was a guy that was changing his tire on the bridge right at the blind spot and caused me to and another cyclist to almost have a head-on collsion. Kayaking across is safer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG sounds like some people were born sitting on a bike and have natural bike handling skills. A little patience would help, and perhaps become a part of the educating process- assist the new cyclists. We were all beginners at some point. All races are going to have a myriad of abilities- live with it. I would liie to think I have pretty good bike handling skills, and do my best to ride safely- if others around me are looking as though they are posing a problem- i'll let them know nicely... they gotta learn somehow.

Weeman
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Bike handling skills [weeman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saturday after I finish my ride I'm meeting a friend who is new to cycling and tris' at the park. We are learning how to get into and out of our pedals, corner, ride on the proper side of the road, how to safely pass & paceline, how to look over your shoulders with out becoming a hood ornament, how to grab seatposts & jersey pockets. Also included is tire rubbing, banging shoulders, thighs, handlebars, elbows. Price of admission is 1 snickers or 1 pepsi or RC or 1 tube of sunscreen. After all, I'll have ridden about 4 hrs prior to this and could be a bit hungry. So if in AZ let me know and off we'll go.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm just out training, I don't mind playing dodge 'em with the other bikes, runners, dog walkers, and golf carts on a couple of routes I share the rec path with.

But if it's race day, if you aren't racing, please choose an alternate route on that day. I'm usually the most mellow person possible on the bike, but I was getting seriously pissed a couple weeks back at Mullet Man when the morning geezers volksmarching decided that they wanted to be walking in the bike lane and would not move onto the nice grassy strip next to the bike lane, and the bikers racing had to slalom around them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well this sure did get out of hand! How did we get from triathlons to people on the sidewalk and even people in the shopping centre (I hope that one was sarcasm)? Last time I start a thread like this. I was trying to suggest a safer way for us all to race. When your out training you should expect anything from anywhere, as for in the shopping centre all I can say is that patience is a virtue.

Imp not talking about beginners, Imp talking about people that I have seen at more than one race before this weekend... people that can run 3km in < 11minuites.

Racing and safety while doing so is another matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all! I am a new triathlon coach for youth. On Sunday our first bike day we had to explain why bike fit and handling skills were so important. I will send all to this site (esp PARENTS) for the explanation.
Quote Reply
red lights [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
while on the sublect of handling skills...i have noticed a lot of triathletes in my area will come to a stop at a red light and not down shift. then when they get a green light they are on the aero bars before they even start moving, sit and try to grind the bike to a start in too big a gear.

down shift before you stop. when you ready to go stand and ride with hands out of aero postion. make a few big turns with your pedals to get up to speed and only go aero when you have cleared the intersection.

thank you

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply