Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hey youse 'mericans ...do you know where..
Quote | Reply
...your president has been hiding lately?

http://www.thestar.com/...amp;col=968350116467
Quote Reply
Re: Hey youse 'mericans ...do you know where.. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Please note that this form is for access to www.thestar.com only. " ;)

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to register??!?! Damn it, I thought everything was free up there. I'm going to stop packing my bags now...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://pavlov.psyc.queensu.ca/~psyc382/rockgold.html
(Norman Rockwell's "Do Unto Others")
Quote Reply
Re: Hey youse 'mericans ...do you know where.. [goobie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, didn't realize that you had to register.

In a nutshell it was about GWB's visit to Canada. He has been quite charming and witty and has had a polite but guarded reception. He has been greated only by fairly small anti-war crowds in Ottawa and Halifax and a number of pro USA crowds have also shown up.

The big concern up here is that GWB is putting a lot of political pressure on our prime minister to go along with his "star wars" missile defense system. The majority of the populace doesn't want it. The Liberal Party has a minority government and most of the opposition has made it clear that they would vote against it, which could be very problematic for the government if they tried to appease Dubya.

A few other issues involving trade and our likelyhood of decriminalizing pot for personal/medical use seem to have GWB in a bit of a snit also.

It's fair to say that most Canadians don't feel that comfortable with Dubya. We have been moving in a more liberal direction than is the USA for the past forty years and traditionally have always felt more at ease and had better relationships with Democratic presidents. Right wing Republican conservatives for the most part, tend to make most Canuks feel a little uneasy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Right wing Republican conservatives for the most part, tend to make most Canuks feel a little uneasy.[/reply]

I don't think they're alone in that ;-)

It continues to amaze me that Blair got into bed with Dubya. I wonder if it will hurt the Labour party in the long run, but I guess he isn't known as Teflon Tony for nothing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://pavlov.psyc.queensu.ca/~psyc382/rockgold.html
(Norman Rockwell's "Do Unto Others")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmm..... GWB is still an advocate of Stars wars Missile defense. On the surface, I believe that this is just another wasteful endeavor for my tax dollars. Or, another futile attempt to hang on to the cold war era military industrial complex in an effort to keep his cronies well heeled.

In contemplating other reasons, I'm curious about who has been purchasing or pursuing booster rocket and guidance system technology. Where are the future threats and why does GW feel so strongly about this.

Korea has demonstrated its willfulness in this arena. What about India, Pakistan and um Iran?

Here's a thought......Iran threatening us with an ICBM launch if we don't remove all troops from the mid east. Better to swat the threat out of the sky than to only have retaliatory strikes as a solution.

But, this goes to our depth of knowledge (intellegence) on the actual threat. Is it a pie in the sky threat, or is it real and its something that we sheep in the USA won't be informed about from our government (by the people, of the people, for the people).

RB
Quote Reply
Re: Hey youse 'mericans ...do you know where.. [Rocketboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a number of things about "star wars" that should be questioned.

Many people question the cost, feasibility of the technology, etc. Also the fact that it can start a whole new nuclear ams war. If the US puts missles into space then why can't anybody else eventually.

An international agreement to not arm space with nuclear weapons seems a lot more reasonable to me.

It's all about defense contract lobbying, political funds, etc. "Star wars" is no guarantee against a nuclear attack. How is this system going to stop the possibility of a terrorist with a nuclear device or dirty bomb in a brief case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many people question the cost, feasibility of the technology, etc.

Yeah, I have to agree. Still, I think the concept is spot on.

Also the fact that it can start a whole new nuclear ams war. If the US puts missles into space then why can't anybody else eventually

Is Bush really a proponent of this? I thought it was missle defense, not offensive space weapons.

An international agreement to not arm space with nuclear weapons seems a lot more reasonable to me.

International agreements not to pursue nukes in the first place haven't worked too well...

If someone really wants to set off a nuke in the US, therereally isn't anything we can do to stop it unless we're inspecting 100% of all cargo that comes into the US. A terrorist or rogue nation that wants to detonate a nuke isn't going to use a missle-based system when something set up in the back of a Econoline van would acteve the same effect and would be darn near impossible for counterterrorism to identify in time to stop it.

IMO, we're also really dropping the ball on Afghanistan reconstruction. That should be our number one foreign policy right now. If they destabilize, they'll pull Pakistan in with them, and that county's one assasin's bullet from letting the terrorists have nuclear weapons.
Quote Reply