Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"I told you so"
Quote | Reply
What is your best "I told you so" story. Meaning advice you gave that was ignored.

I have been racing since 1992, and as friends get into the sport, they frequently come to me for advice. Then they usually ignore it. When I worked weekends in a bike shop for 5 years, I would get tons of questions. My favorites:

* A very good friend I cycled with for years made the switch to triathlons. We did IMF 2001 together, and had a great time. He planned to run the Atlanta Marathon 3 weeks after that. I told him that he was going to blow like a cheap Taliban landmine. He thought he would be okay. It turned out to be a very miserable experience for him. "You know, I blew up after 6 miles...."

* A longtime friend, fairly young and athletic, signed up for IMF '99 or '00. He had never done a triathlon before. He asked whether I thought he would have a good race if he trained for and raced a Marathon two months before IMF, and then started training for the swim and the bike. I told him no, that if he wanted to have a fun, comfortable race, he need to focus on all three sports during the entire summer. After a 16 1/2 hour IM, he says, "You know, that was terrible....."

* And almost every guy who had ever bought a bike from me who knows bigger is better, "My friend is the same height as I am, and he rides a 58, so I know I need a 58."

"No, you need a 54. A 54 is a great fit for you. Ley me explain it again...."

"No you are wrong, I need a 58."

"Look you need a 54, but I will sell you a 58 if you really want it."

Two months later, "This bike seems to big for me. My back hurts when...."

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: "I told you so" [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
* And almost every guy who had ever bought a bike from me who knows bigger is better, "My friend is the same height as I am, and he rides a 58, so I know I need a 58."

"No, you need a 54. A 54 is a great fit for you. Ley me explain it again...."

"No you are wrong, I need a 58."

"Look you need a 54, but I will sell you a 58 if you really want it."
ha, for a second there I thought you were talking about me, then I realized you were talking about frame sizes not chain ring sizes.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: "I told you so" [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought you wanted a 60 chainring, but you ended up settling for a 58 because that is all we could get? I still remember Stuart coming to get me and asking me to see if I could make the front derailler shift smoother. I looked at the 58 and just laughed. I think I gave him my old line about you not needing to actually shift to the small chainring unless you were cleaning the big one.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those were the days! Now I'm riding a smaller 55. Might pull out one of the big rings for the Carlsbad Tri though since it is a fairly flat course, just to see if I can still get it turning over.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike -

Got a question for ya - do you feel that the slower cadence with the 58 chain ring slows you down on the run?

When I moved to CO - I bought a 56 b/c of all the downhills in the canyons - and my running went to crap. Later I went back to 55, and now I am currently at 53 which seems to work better with my run cadence. Typically if I want to run under 6:00 off the bike (oly and sprint) I feel as though the higher cadence on the bike helps a lot.

Thoughts?

Mike Ricci

www.d3multisport.com

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drove a friend who was doing his first tri to/from the race. On the way down, I'm explaining how it all works--transitions, no drafting, yada yada. We do the race and on the way home he's thrilled with how he did and how he jumped into this huge paceline (note--this race used to be notorious for drafting; it's better now). I told him that was cheating, etc. but no, I'm just a dumb girl who doesn't know anything.

He goes home, posts his race report to a tri list, including gleefully talking about how great it was to go fast and be in the paceline. Let's just say, he got a new ---hole ripped open. He was told in no uncertain terms that he was lower than dirt and to get the heck off the email list if that was the kind of triathlete he was going to be.

He came back with his tail between his legs, saying I'd told him but he hadn't listened, but he would reform. He actually did, becoming a USAT official. (Yeah Eric, it's who you think it is.)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: "I told you so" [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOLOLOL Classic Cathy you just made my day. I was the Head referee on his first race as USAT official, he did well.

Education is the key to clean racing!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: "I told you so" [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

I don't know if I can give a fair answer to that question. Back then I was fairly strong on both the bike and the run. Back when I was using the big chain ring, I was riding a Campy alloy 6 speed freewheel (was like a cassette that I could rebuild to any configuration I wanted). I would spin in the 75 to 80 rpm range when I was racing and could turn a 54 minute 40km TT. I could also get off the bike and run a 33 or so 10km.

Now I am riding a 55 and usually run a wider range on the back, a 12 - 25 (9 speed) at Wildflower and normally an 11 - 23 for most other races around here. I am also spinning a lot higher, usually racing at 90rpm. My running is nowhere near what it used to be, but that is totally unrelated to the bike and more to do with age and wear and tear. I am working on a few things (strength) though that will hopefully rectify some of these problems and I might be back pushing some bigger, lower cadence gears late in the year on flat courses. I have found though that I do much better on the hilly courses having plenty of gear and spinning a higher cadence.

I guess thinking about it, I never really saw a correlation to how or what I rode when it came to running. The correlation was that I ran my best off the bike when I was in my best open running shape. Back then I still ran in a lot of road races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike

Thanks for the input - I appreciate it.

Mike Ricci

www.d3multisport.com

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still riding a 56, but in the past few years I have been trying ot up my cadence. I was noticing the last few weeks that to ride tempo on flat land I have moved up the cassette. I still like the 56 on downhills!

---------------

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: "I told you so" [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I had a beginning USCF rider come out and do a local tri I always do. Next time I saw him on a ride he was telling me all about the pack he jumped in, yadda yadda yadda. I explained that he was cheating, and he dropped his jaw. Then he wanted to know why everybody else was doing it. I explained that they were cheaters. Took me a while to get it through his thick shull.

---------------

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>>>"What is your best "I told you so" story. Meaning advice you gave that was ignored."<<<<

How about advice I GOT that I ignored...

Coach Plumb had me scheduled to swim 3-4 per week x 4000 yards in the weeks before IM. Of course, I knew better. I was a strong swimmer and had done just fine in half IMs on 2 per week x 1500 yards.

As I was walking through the halfway point of the run -- 2 hours behind anticipated schedule -- Mike sees me and says, "You didn't look so good after the swim..." Sheeet, Mike -- I almost drowned out there. 5 miles into the bike and I felt like I'd ridden 100 miles already.

Next time, I'll do the swimming.
Quote Reply