Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cycling and foot pain
Quote | Reply
First - I'll sign the medical advice waiver so I don't need to hear the internet/medical thing. I don't think my question is a medical one - I know plenty of doctors (including sports med) and they don't know anything about this stuff - I think this is a bike fit question...

On my longer rides - 2-3 hours - I get a lot of pain on the outside of my right foot. For those anatomically inclined - I get pain in my lateral foot over my fifth metatarsal head. For those less inclined - its the outside part of my foot just across from my arch. I can deal with it while riding - but can't walk well for a while afterwards. Running - never. Any thoughts?

Cleat positioning?

I've just started riding again this winter - haven't logged too many miles (600ish) - but its only my right foot, so I figure its not just mileage/shoes.... I've also noted that I tend to ride with my right ankle swung further out than my left (I have speedplay pedals - open all the way). My right foot is also bigger than my left by about 1/4 size (don't know if that matters)....

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: cycling and foot pain [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a weird one to me. I wish I could be of more help, but I will throw in a few thoughts: Did that ever happen to you before? If not, what has changed since the last time you rode without pain? (new shoes? pedals? saddle height...)

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: cycling and foot pain [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To all - the pain is actually over the base of my fifth metatarsal - not the head as I initially posted.

Trirunner - everything has changed. I took a 12 year break form cycling and just started again. New bike, pedals, shoes.....maybe I'll break out my old bike for a long ride and see if I get it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar pain and through a combination of getting used to riding (i am a cycling newbie) and moving the cleat a little to the outside I was able to relieve the pain.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmm...

sounds similar to a problem i had last season. i got better shoes - 3 strap road with stiffer soles, away from 1 strap tri, and got a larger platform pedal - campy chorus, away from speedplay.

problem fixed. i think it was too much pressure on too small of a spot. maybe just one change would have fixed it, but i now prefer both changes.

good luck.

It's not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but somehow I managed to squeeze in 8 hours of TV a day - Homer Simpson
Quote Reply