Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone done both IMFL and IMCanada
Quote | Reply
want to get an idea on how people compare the bike, I know it is different terrain, but what about the actual ride, average speed, support etc.....

Thanks in advance for any info

Weeman
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done both IMFL and IMCanada [weeman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No comparison, IMFL is flat, really flat, and for me much easier as I like the flatter courses. IMFL is not supported like IMC in terms of people out on the course, definitely no large crowds like on Richter and Yellow Lake. Hard to compare times, at least mine, given changes in training etc. but if you ride 6hrs at IMC and fairly strong in aero bars then you are looking at possibly 5.30 or less, but IMFL is so flat if you dont move around and stretch etc you end up in one position for a long time and get real stiff. Road surface for both course are pretty good, except in small sections. I have ridden IMC course a few times and IMFL once, on race day, so cannot say much about the weather at IMFL. IMC tends to vary a lot in temp, mostly warm to hot, at IMFL in 00 it was warm mid 20's, a bit of head wind coming back into town nothing major. At IMC there is almost always head wind on the approach to Yellow Lake.

For me IMFL is much the easier course, train to be aero for a long time, be very consistent in leg turn over, in one or two gears that you are comfortable with. and take all your aero toys. IMC the terrain varies a lot, flat for 60km I think, then the first climb at Richter, then 10 rollers, then flat and possible headwinds into Yellow Lake for another climb, at that point you are almost home. IMFL is completely flat, other than the bridge out of town and that is insignificant as compared to any of the rollers on the IMC ride.

If you have anyother questions email me off line at tribuddhatri@yahoo.com

Quote | Reply
I've never done Florida but hope to get a spot for it at Muskoka in June. I have a number of friends that have done both races and the time differences were in the 10-25 minute range (faster in Florida). I don't know anyone that did the Florida bike split slower than the Canada split which makes sense since no matter what downhills you get the Richter and Yellow Lake climbs are just too long to make up the kind of time you lose during the climb. I know that when I did IMC in '99 my average speed dropped 3.5 km/h from the bottom of the Richter climb to the top (I suck as a climber though).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too, have not done IMFL, only IMC and some others, but watch out for the drafting at Canada, it's ridicoulous. I did not see one race Marshall until after Osoyoos last year, at which point it did'nt matter as much because of the climbs. Heading up to Osoyoos, there were HUGE packs coming by which I refused to participate in. Part of the problem is the size of the race at 2050 starters last year it was the biggest field ever for an IM. They really should do waves 5 min. apart. But it would not look as cool at the start for the cameras.
Quote Reply