Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about 1st trimester and training
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone. I've been reading for a long time, and now I'm ready to join the fun ;-) I'm currently 7wks pregnant with my first and really want to be active through the entire 40 weeks. I was doing great until this week when all-day nausea hit me. For those moms who stayed active during pregnancy, did you just suck it up and train with the nausea? If so, do you feel better after working out? I know it helps energy level, but the idea of flip turns churn my stomach. I've read a lot of helpful info in this forum about pregnancy and training. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Question about 1st trimester and training [Cincy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! I just had a baby 6 weeks ago and I was in your position at 7 weeks. Nauseated!!! You have to remember that your body at rest is going through a lot so be gentle with yourself when you are active. I pushed through nausea most days to workout and some days it was a big mistake. I would end up feeling much worse. In hindsight, I unnecessarily pushed myself when I could have just waited a few weeks and I would have felt better. I swam, aqua jogged, and walked through my pregnancy all the way up to the final week.

Swimming was my retreat, especially as I got bigger. I quit doing flip turns and just did open turns, you don't need to do flip turns to have a good swim workout. I also shortened my workouts to half. I swam with a group but I did half of what they did and it felt great. I could still hang out with friends but got plenty of rest in between sets. When I swam on my own, I swam easy distance and paid no attention to time. Pregnancy is not the time to improve your fitness.

One final thing: I had an emergency c section and they claimed my hips never spread and my core muscles were tight. Don't know if that was from swimming or just my body type. I also ended up with a big baby, some women who exercise a lot end up having smaller babies so that's something to watch out for, you don't want too small of a baby. Trust me, it's hard enough with a newborn, you don't want a low weight baby on top of it, especially if you plan to breast feed.

Let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck and just remember to do what feels right to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there, congratulations!!! I remembered how I was at 7 weeks pregnant and I am currently 34 weeks pregnant. When I was 7 weeks, I spent 3 days swimming and other days just walking or eliptical to stay active. There will be days where nausea was bad and you don't want to do anything. Take that as a rest day. I slept in the days where I felt aweful. You won't lose much fitness at all. By 11 weeks, I felt much better and I resume spinning, running (much slower pace), weight lifting, and swimming.

I don't do flip turns in the pool but I do noticed that if I push hard with my legs, I have some mild cramping.

Take it easy!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!

My babe is 4 months right now and I was active throughout my pregnancy (running, biking, swimming, weights, yoga) - got out for my last run on the day my water broke. As far as the 1st trimester goes, I did not have much nausea but was super duper tired. I would still get myself out there doing something. If after 10 minutes I didn't feel any more energetic then I would call it a day. I think there was only one day that I actually did stop - the rest of the time it helped me feel better. I was way slow that 1st trimester and then when 11-12 weeks hit my energy picked up as well was a little speed (not that I was by any means pushing myself, it just felt easier then early on). Good luck and enjoy this time!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Question about 1st trimester and training [byrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you ladies! This is great advice. Yesterday after I posted I got myself on my trainer "for just 10 minutes" and went 30. It was really easy, I didn't even connect my PowerTap, but it felt good to move and get off the couch. I'm really hoping to run until I need to stop, but swim all the way to 40 weeks.

I'll be sure to take it easy and feel that it's OK to have a few off-days in a row if I feel really bad. I keep hearing about how great the 2nd trimester is...come on January! I've also read "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy" thanks to advice on the threads here and that's been a good book.

Thanks again :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! That's wonderful news! I have a 13 week old little boy, so I can fill you in on what I did. I definitely was nauseous at about 7 weeks until about 11 or 12 weeks. I tried to exercise about 5 days a week, but the rule of thumb was that if it made me feel better I would keep at it and if it made me feel worse I would stop. There were some days it would totally help me feel less nauseous, but I remember other days on the treadmill and I literally had to get off and go throw up. I think the most important thing is to listen to your body. I really liked Dr. Clapp's book and followed that throughout my pregnancy.

I worked out about 5 days a week throughout my entire pregnancy. I ran until the week I gave birth. At about 20 weeks I cut back on the distance of my runs to about 5 miles max and then at about 35 weeks I was only doing 3 miles max. I swam regularly, did the ellyptical regularly, power walked, and biked. I did spin class until the end. I rode my bike until about 8 months. I didn't ride my road bike at all, but instead rode my cyclocross bike until it got too uncomfortable and my belly was in the way and then I switched to my mountain bike. At 8 months my husband asked me to stop riding as he was uncomfortable with it and out of respect for him I did stop and just did spin class. I definitely felt a lot better throughout my pregnancy when I exercised and it gave me a boost of energy as well.

I had a really fast and easy labor and delivery which I believe and my doctor believes as well was partially due to the fact that I exercised and stayed so fit. I also had a quick and easy recovery as well. My abs aren't nearly where they were before, but I was back to running 4 weeks post baby and started going on daily walks when the baby was just 3 days old. I've been told that isn't exactly the norm for first time moms, but I do believe the exercising helped a lot. Oh and I had a healthy and happy 7 lbs 10 oz little boy, a perfect size if you ask me!

i would just recommend (and keep in mind I'm not a medical professional) that pregnancy is not the time to push it nor is it the time to ignore those aches and pains while working out. I, along with my doctor, decided that if I felt weird twinges or pains at all I would stop as it wasn't worth it to push through it. I lived by that throughout my pregnancy and it served me well.

Best of luck and congrats! Enjoy it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found out I was pregnant at 6 weeks when I was up in Indiana for the Muncie Endurathon 1/2 IM distance race. I had trained for two months prior to the race and had three years of 1/2 IM leisure racing under my belt. So, I went ahead and raced. I did okay--I started in the very back of the swim so I didn't get kicked, and I ran at 9 min. miles because I wanted to finish it and not hurt the baby. I also had to stand up on the last stretch of the bike because it was so bumpy that I didn't want to hurt the baby. When I finished, it was hard to stand up because I had lower abdominal pain. I still finished in 5 hours and 36 minutes, but it was 20 min. past my goal. About two weeks after this race, I found out I was severely allergic to peanuts and peanut oil. I cannot have any nut products now, and I developed a disgust for most meats and salads that I normally ate prior to pregnancy. I never once got morning sickness, though. I just thought stuff sounded gross...except McDonald's...I ate that about 3 times a week in the first trimester and finally grew sick of that, too.

I did a sprint triathlon at 3 months and one at 4 months. Both of those were with one or two days of training a week. My base carried me through and I still did well. I didn't hurt, but the race at 3 months was very hard on the lungs. I felt like I couldn't get any oxygen. The one at 4 months had to be done on my road bike because my legs were hitting my belly on the tri bike.

Since then, I've done a 5k and pretty much stopped. I now just take my dog on walks and spin occasionally. I start week 28 this Friday and, while I feel like I could go exercise, I just don't want to. I get really super motivated, go out and start jogging, have to pee, jog a little, have to pee, jog a little, and just get too discouraged to go on. So, now I am looking at two goal dates: my due date of 3/10 and my first sprint tri on 5/9. If I were you, I wouldn't feel bad if you are unable to do a whole lot because most women will tell you that just doing something is more than they did.

~Angie

"I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs." - Jesse Owens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi! Congratulations. The first trimester is tough due to nausea and fatigue but I find that I generally made myself get out there and found it typically subsided. Not always- and on those days you just cut it short but I always felt better knowing that I at least tried and got in a 20 minute workout.

By the way, De Soto just came out with a new forza sports bra that SAVED my pregnancy running- I am now 18 weeks and wouldn't even THINK of running without one. It is so supportive and keeps everything from moving (hence, pain) when I was so tender. You've gotta check it out:
http://www.desotosport.com/...ials&ProdID=WFSB

Good luck and feel free to send me a PM whenever you want.

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Re: Question about 1st trimester and training [sdtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Cincy. I'm 8 weeks pregnant and am having a difficult time trying to work out a new training routine. At a very fit 40, my doctor has deemed me 'higher risk' and has read me the riot act regarding exercise. Five months ago I finished another Ironman, and now I'm told not to lift anything heavier than a phone book, do any core, slow jog, etc. Between the fear of God that has been put into me, and my morning sickness (no throwing up, thank goodness), in tandem with the brutal Canadian winter, I only manage to work out about three or four days a week if I feel OK, and I'm starting to look and feel like a sloth.

Would love to hear from anyone (endurance athletes or otherwise) regarding their weekly plan - what kind of weight exercises (and how much weight), mileage, and how long (I've been told 45 minutes to an hour max). I'm OK with all this, as baby comes first, I just need to get into a new routine that doesn't involved the level of or kind of exercises I've been doing up until I got pregnant. My naturopath suggested I should still do some planks and side planks, to help my back later on in pregnancy. Anybody got any great work outs they can share that provided exercise but weren't too strenuous?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Kathie
Quote Reply
Re: Question about 1st trimester and training [KathieTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats! My doctor hasn't restricted my workouts, other than in two areas: (1) do not overheat - ie no bikram yoga for me and i now sit near the door in spin and wear a tshirt instead of a polypro and (2) do not become super breathless- especially now that i'm 5.5 months. I have no time restrictions or any particular activity restrictions. However, I am not "high risk" in any way. I had some pretty major early cramping in which she told me to be careful w/ workouts on those days but that's it really. I'm still running up to 10 miles, cycling up to 40 miles, doing spin a few times a week, doing weights for my upper body, pilates, ab exercises- basically my normal routine with less intensity and no bikram yoga. I hope that's helpful...good luck. PM if you want.

Tracy M. De Soto
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Re: Question about 1st trimester and training [KathieTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am always so surprised to hear about Doctors who advise against exercise/training while pregnant... although, my doctors (the practice in general) are very liberal about exercise. It's an all female practice and one of the docs is a triathlete herself; but that aside, they simply recommend exercising regularly as often as you can and are comfortable doing so- with the exception of riding outdoors. They recommended not riding outside beyond the 1st trimester as there is a greater risk to the baby if you fall or have an accident.
I am in that so-called high risk category too - 38, going on 39, first baby due in less than 3 weeks. I was a year off my last IM and wasn't in 'training mode', but I was working out regularly anyway. Running up until about the 6th month, run/walk some after that (just got really crampy after that, so I didn't push it, but normally between 7-10 miles was okay), riding outside until the 4th month (now, inside on my trainer), lifting/core work the whole time (and I was not given a restriction on weight... but just used common sense, because after a while, things do get more difficult and awkward). From what they have always told me, if your body is used to a certain level of fitness and exercise, then you are not doing any harm... again, use common sense and listen to your body. I suppose if you have/have had underlying health problems in the past, then perhaps your doc is just playing it safe... but if you recently completed an IM, my guess is you're in great health!

I know this doesn't really give you any suggestions as far as a weekly schedule; my point is just do what your body is comfortable doing as long/as often as you are able (without overdoing it - i.e. IM length workouts (2+ hours). At least that is what my doctors always advised!

Congratulations and good luck!!
Quote Reply
Re: Question about 1st trimester and training [dupeetriclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi ladies! So now I'm in my 2nd trimester (yeah!) and finally feeling better and having more energy. I've slowly started to run again, just starting with 20min and getting it up to 35 now, with hopes of being able to run more like 45. I'm really much slower, but that's not the point :-) I'm also swimming again. I find it's much easier for me to workout at lunch than after work, that's still a black hole of energy suck in my world.

I really appreciate all the suggestions and help! Post-baby races have started to sneak into my thoughts, I'm trying to hold them off but it's hard when everyone else is planning their 2010. But I get a different type of Ironman this year :-)

It's nice to hear other pregnant triathletes are on here too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! The second trimester is sooo much better. I'm just a couple weeks shy of my third now and I still enjoy those morning or early afternoon workouts over the late evening ones; I'm still pretty tired by then. Good job getting back into things and keep it up while listening to your body.

Tracy M. De Soto
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Cincy, Boy how I can relate. I am 17 weeks pregnant now and have more energy to enjoy workouts than I did at 7 weeks when I was a nauseated-cookie blowing- grumpy pants. I do run 4 days a week (30mins-1 hour), walk to work 5 days a week, lift weights 3x a week but by far the BEST thing I have done is Prenatal Yoga. One day a week I take a class with other pregnant moms. Not only for the social benefits but the mind/body benefits. Very relaxing and helps me and the baby like no other workout. Bliss. Not coming from a yogi background I didn't see the need for it, until I tried it. Enjoy the ride and PM me anytime. I think we are pretty close in how far along we are.
Quote Reply