Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lance Armstrong VS Tyler Hamilton
Quote | Reply
Who do you think is the best right now? Who is the future of USA Cycling? Would Tyler ever join USPS Team? Your thoughts!

KYROCKET
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong VS Tyler Hamilton [KYROCKET] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a very professional TROLL! Outstanding work. [:O]

Seriously though, I think July will give us a definitive answer. Tyler definitely had the better combination of skill and luck at LBL, but by his own admission, LA was the stronger rider on the day. Very hard to say based on recent performances. There are simply too many variables that went into producing the results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps it is difficult to explain, but Lance was the favorite, he couldn't sneeze without everyone and their team jumping to wipe his nose. The very fact that he had a gap despite 150 riders trying to prevent him from doing so I so impressive, again; perhaps difficult to understand if you've never been in a road race and been "marked" Tyler is strong, but doesn't have the rep and thus is allowed a little leeway, in this case too much.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong VS Tyler Hamilton [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you mean by "the best", it's such a broad term. I would say "the best" RIGHT NOW is Tyler, in fact I would say that's undisputed. He has scored more UCI points in 2003 than anybody else in the world, Lance is probably not in the top-200 when it comes to 2003 points. If you don't race much, you can't be considered "the best" right now. And Tyler has been outstanding since Paris-Nice, and very consistent.

But July is a completely different story, and Tyler would be the first to point that out. Lance hasn't been trying to be the best right now, he's trying to be the best in July. We'll see how it goes, but history shows that Lance knows fairly well how to do this.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AS for the FUTURE of US cycling....both these guys are at their career zeniths. If you want to look at the FUTURE, look to guys like Danielson. and others in the 20-25 y/o range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This reminds me of the argument a few years back when the Chicago Bulls were at the height of their power. Some sports writers started saying that maybe Scottie Pippen was better than Jordan. He had more physical gifts, longer wingspan, height, speed etc. and was putting up some impressive numbers. The fact that the best defender and in some cases the two best defenders on the other team were guarding MJ didnt seem to enter into the equation. I think the fact that everyone in the peleton was marking Lance at Liege made it a little easier for Tyler to escape. Not taking anything away from Tyler, I think he is a great athlete and I hope he gives Lance a run for his money in the Tour, but at the end of the day with the fate of the free world riding on one shot whose hands do you want the ball in: Jordan or Pippen? I dont know if there is a cycling equivalent but maybe start both guys at the base of Alpe D'huez and put the title "worlds greatest cyclist" at the summit. Who you gonna put your money on?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong VS Tyler Hamilton [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it will be Lance in July because of the team. Just Like the team helped Tyler in LBL. Where were the Posties? The other team to look out for has to be Telkom again. There are some tough guys on that team. I don't think Tyler can do it because it compares to the way Heras had to ride bascally alone in the tour of Spain.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong VS Tyler Hamilton [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're forgetting some lesser known but very strong CSC riders. Carlos Sastre can do for Tyler what Heras does for Lance, remember that in last year's Tour there were times when Heras could not follow Lance and Sastre could (of course Heras had done work for Lance before so it's not a completely fair comparison). But you already saw it in Romandie, Sastre did some amazing work for Tyler. See also here:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...d=stage3/tylersastre

And who knows, there may be others on Tyler's team who are very strong.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Last edited by: gerard: May 9, 03 9:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Probably Lance right now still. I am a fan of Tyler, but i still think Lance is stronger IMHO.

2. Who the heck knows. Probably Levi Leipheimer or some other junior pro.

3. Um, He WAS on USPS before joining his present team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be a little afraid maybe Tyler peaked a little too early. Regardless, it's going to one helluva Tour!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong VS Tyler Hamilton [JAY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is precicely why they will have the race....You are only as good as your last race.

July will be interesting. There a several riders Hamilton included who could make this an interesting race.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong VS Tyler Hamilton [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
telekom has some of the strongest riders, but they are always terribly organized. Tyler certainly has natural talent, but Riis is the factor that makes him a potential tour threat to lance. Look at last years tour. Jan's out with a bloody nose, they have some good guys but no one to really challenge lance for yellow. But they've also got the 6x repeating points champion in Zabel. do they organize support around him? do you see the whole team rally around making sure they get the green jersey? no you see in fighting on the climbs as the second string gets a chance to play. meanwhile mcewan nearly walks away with it.

telecom won't be a factor in july's race for the yellow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only reason Hamilton has the most UCI points this year is Bettini got injured. 200 points and he hasn't raced in a month. Further, there are a ton of top riders who are injured. Also, Salvodelli and Evans are skipping the Giro to focus on the tour. Should be a very interesting race. No cake walk for Lance this year I think.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong VS Tyler Hamilton [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, if all these riders are injured they per definition are not "the best right now", are they?

And obviously it is not "the only reason" Tyler has the most points in 2003, since 800 other pro riders have the same benefit of Bettini's injury yet they do not have the most 2003 points.

Finally, Hamilton is also injured, and has been from before LBL. But as he showed last year in the Giro, that doesn't stop him.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Gerard for the big laugh.

I already had a high esteem for you as one of the fathers of my Prodigy, but I must say I really appreciate your wit. Not that you need to think about another career, but you would make a hell of a good lawyer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could say that there are many "bests" out there. Posties are the best TdF team. Lance is a great rider, but Tyler has the chutzpah and the nuts to do great in the TdF. But Lance will more than likely win the TdF. But, you have to remember the classics, and the other major tours, and one team does not dominate all of it.

Tyler left USPS to be a leader. Lance is the man for USPS, as Tyler is the man for CSC. Leaving USPS was the best thing for Tyler to do for his career and abilities, and it has been admitted by many in the Posties squad. Tyler is simply too good to be a domestique.

Who is the future? Anyone who is young enough and shows potential to be great. Yes, that is an ambiguous answer, but the talent pool is slowly getting deeper here in the U.S. But to name the "next Lance Armstrong" would be irresponsible at this point, as some can have one hell of a season and fizzle the next.

I liken Lance Armstrong to Gordie Howe- there's one per lifetime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance really only races the TdF. He has been the best TdF rider for many years. How can you call him the best cyclist overall? Eddie Mercks was the greatest cyclist of his era because he dominated everything, grand tours, shorter tours, and classics. He raced often, and he always raced to win. Tyler Hamilton could have a great year. He could end up winning a number of races. Maybe you could end up saying that he had a better year than Lance. If Tyler does only so-so in the TdF, he can still have a year. If Lance does not win the Tdf, his year will be considered very poor.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

And who knows, there may be others on Tyler's team who are very strong.

Gerard, is this a reference to Mr Ullrich, now that Coast is on the ropes, again.

Tyler and Jan on the same team, taking on Lance at the Tour - now THAT would be fun to watch.

Here's hoping.

TonyG

What is Enoch Root?
Quote Reply