Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How early can baby swim?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience getting their child to swim for the first time? Our 5 week old loves bath time and I think it would be a blast to get him in the pool at an early age. Any advice would be appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: How early can baby swim? [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First time I took Kate to the pool she was 5mo. She LOVED it. I probably could have taken her sooner, but she wore a pavlik harness from 0 to 3mo, so it was a major PITA. Just remember that pools are germ bags, and some babies skin don't like chlorine... I'd say go with 3mo.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How early can baby swim? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second this - I wouldn't take them earlier than 3 mos due to the germ factor.

That said, our friends from Austria told me that in Europe, they take babies to the pool right away (?? not exactly sure how early 'right away' is, but very early)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was born in March, and before the end of summer, my mom would take me to the pool. She'd drop me off the diving board and jump in after me. I wouldn't suggest you try that now, you'll likely get arrested, but I was under 6 months at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont have kids, but I used to teach a Parents and Tots class...so fun. Age was 8 months -2 years. A lot of splashing, songs, etc. The earlier they are exposed to it, the better I think. No real 'swimming' but fun for everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My parents taught me to swim around the same time I learned to walk. I've never had any fear of the water.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was 6 mo when I started baby swim lessons - "mommy and me" class.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friend is a swimming coach and does baby swimming lessons. Not mommy and me classes, BABY swimming lessons for kids as young as 5 weeks old. By using pressure points she can teach a baby to turn over on their backs in the water and even hold onto the side of the pool. In general, the kids that she teaches in this program end up walking around 9 months and have excellent co-ordination and agility at a young age.

She had her 4 week old neice in the pool on the weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a long time ago for us but we took our kids to those Mommy and Tot classes and felt they were very good. I would call your local pool and inquire they have such a class and what the youngest age would be. The neatest trick I remember doing it blowing gently into the baby's face and then sliding them underwater. When you blow into their face they automatically hold their breath. The girls loved it and it was a fun hour or so each weekend. Our oldest went on to swim Varsity in university and was an Olympic hopeful. Did the baby swim classes do that? Hard to say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my folks started me in classes at 3mos. it took until i was 10 years old or so before i started hating them, but continued with them until i was 14 anyway ;)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
as a swim instructor- as soon as you want. I've taught "formal" classes to babies as young as three months--- babies love the water and as long as you take them to a nice heated indoor pool (and they will still get cold after about 10 minutes hahaha) they should love it! :)
Quote Reply
Re: How early can baby swim? [swimmergirl7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9 months before they are born.... Sorry I had to!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to know is the proper attire for baby. When I thought the "Mommy and Me" class we required a plastic or rubber short with elastics around the legs and waist. They would catch most of any thing solid that came out of the back end. Diapers are a big no no since they absorb half the pool, but for some reason a lot of parents didn't think of that.
Quote Reply
Re: How early can baby swim? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would suggest waiting until they've had their first set of shots, so 2 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check this out. I'd be surprised if you haven't seen it, but if you haven't I can promise you'll be BLOWN away. You can get them started very young AND actually teach them something that will actually save their life. It's amazing stuff.

http://infantswim.com/

Quote | Reply
I have seen those amazing videos! Really cool stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend from college sent her twins to ISR classes as they have a lake house. I am pretty sure they were just about a year old when they finished.
Quote Reply
Re: How early can baby swim? [Cannondale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took my daughters to "Mommy and Me" swim classes at 10 months. I was the only daddy in the group (mom worked the dayshift, I worked night shifts).

My 7 and 9 yer old daughters are fishes.

I learned how to swim 8 months ago at 47.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brought my daughter when she was 3 1/2 months, and is now almost 1.5 y.o. She was freezing after 5minutes the 1st times, even if it was at 86F. Now we can stay almost 30min. I learned how to dive her head in the water when she was less than 5 m.o. It amazing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No to rain on the parade but just something to consider would be this study:

http://www.irishtimes.com/...7/1224244902389.html
Quote Reply