Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

[Resume Critique] Manufacturing/Process Engineer
Quote | Reply
Hi everybody! I really could use some help on my resume. I would like to get a job in the Process Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, or Operations Management field, and have tried to tailor my resume accordingly. It seems as though there are lots of Engineers on Slowtwich, so hopefully I can take advantage of some of your collective brainpower. I can't express enough how much I would appreciate any constructive comments about my resume.

A formatted copy can be found here:

http://cid-cc2ffaf6de33f584.skydrive.live.com/...E_2009%5E52%5E6.docx

If people would prefer I post a un-formatted text copy just reply to the thread and I can do so.

I do have a question right off the bat; my current job is a contract position (directly to the company listed), should I note that somehow on my resume?

Thanks so much!

-Melissa
Quote Reply
Re: [Resume Critique] Manufacturing/Process Engineer [galac1190] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Melissa,
I'm a process engineer doing the same thing you are (working on my resume). I'm targeting my resume towards leadership roles vs. technical roles, but I don't know if that should make a big difference in terms of what our resumes would look like. The advice I've been receiving says you need to make sure you highlight your results and make it easy to see what value you provide. Include as much as you can in terms of measurable results. In looking at your resume, it looks like you've done a lot of good things, but in my opinion, it's too wordy and/or written in too much of a story format. It's not easy to quickly pick out why I should hire you. Summarize each role in a sentence or two, then break out the results in bullet points.

I've been spending a ton of time writing and re-writing mine and I think I'm finally close to a point where I'm happy with it. On the other hand, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the hiring manager where you apply may have a completely different opinion of what a resume should look like! Anyway, if you want to see what I have for mine, let me know and I can shoot you a copy. Also, there are a lot of good templates out there to use as well.

Good luck in your search!
Quote Reply
Re: [Resume Critique] Manufacturing/Process Engineer [galac1190] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be brutally honest with you...your resume is stuck in the 90's. That formating is an older style we used back then. If you want, I can send you a more up to date format.

Re: the contract position, I would list it if it pertains to the position you are applying to or is needed to fill a break in your job history. But it's hard to say without seeing it on the resume first to say either way.

_______

This post is not legal advice and is for informational purposes only.
Last edited by: im_dreamcrusher: Nov 27, 09 15:38
Quote Reply
Re: [im_dreamcrusher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the constructive criticism. I would love for you to send me a different formatting option. Thank you!

~Melissa
Quote Reply
Re: [galac1190] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just sent you an email with my resume. It's coming from my law office email so if you don't see it in your hotmail inbox, look in your spam.

_______

This post is not legal advice and is for informational purposes only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to take a look at a thread I wrote here.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

One thing I noticed right away, there is no "personality" in the resume. Its all very "The person named Melissa at the top of the resume did this and did that" Nothing stands out and GRABS the reader to say, hey, I want to call this person. Nothing in the resume indicates what makes you a potential top notch employee. (We all know that technical knowledge is just one element of what makes a person successful in the workplace.

Out some of what Melissa is about in there!!!

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Re: [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a business owner who hires engineers, you need to list specifics of what you did at these jobs. Give concrete numbers and examples of your work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to do a couple of things to help make it stand out.

Use some bullet points, show some financial impact at the jobs you worked at, highlight the things you like(d) doing. Agree with the guy who said that there was nothing that jumped out at the reader. I see (and trash) lots of resumes like this every day.

Mark
Quote Reply