Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LiteSpeed Blade 2003
Quote | Reply
My training partner just bought the 2003 version of the Blade. Yesterday is was flipping thru Tom D. bikesportmichigan site and saw a rather unkind review of the 2002 bike. I noticed on the new version the cable routing was outside, versus the old. Have they made any other improvements? My partner is 5'11" about 165 so he does not fall into the large pedal masher Tom states would work fine with the 2002 version of the Blade. Should he friend send this over priced beast back and keep his KM40??? Opinions??
Quote Reply
Re: LiteSpeed Blade 2003 [Ken in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Send it back, Absolutly not. He should send it to me.

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why did your friend go from the KM40 to the Blade in the first place? What was he trying to accomplish? What did he think he would get from the blade that he didn't get from the KM40?

Based on his size, I think the KM40 would be a better bike for him. From the races I've seen, the pros and age-groupers that ride the "stock" Blades (I say "stock" because some pros ride custom-built smaller-tubed bikes looking more like Sabers, but labeled "Blades" by Litespeed, for marketing purposes I guess) are big-bottom-bracket-flexing-kinda-guys. 5'11 165 is exactly my size, and I ride a KM40... but if I rode a Litespeed it would be a Saber, not a Blade. I've ridden a Blade a few times and it's just way too stiff for me.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: LiteSpeed Blade 2003 [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His KM40 was 5 years old, was looking to go with something new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your friend is HAPPY WITH THE BIKE then why should he send it back because Tom gave the 2002 a bad review? Even if Tom gave the 2003 a bad review why would he send it back? Just because it didn't work for Tom doesn't mean it won't work for your friend...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If in a couple of months he fidns that he doesn't liket the bike it should be very easy to unload that on ebay... litespeed bikes go for a pretty penny, especially ones from the same model year... btu heck if he likes he stick with it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know Tom D. is going to torch me on this, but read his review of the Felt S22, and what he says about FSA cranks/rings. Then read the review of the Felt S32, finally read the Crank Test review. His opinion can be swayed, he can learn to love a part he initially rejected, and he currently has a Litespeed Blade hangin from the ceiling in a 55ish, no Sabers around.

That being said, if it aint broke don't fix it. Get another Kestrel or something in Carbon that does what the current bike does. The Blade is simply the biggest Litespeed billboard out there. 1.125" isn't aero for a headtube, neither is the cross section of the top tube (right Gerard?). Lastly , horizontal dropouts on a Ti frame require the use of STEEL rear quickrelease skewers otherwise you run the risk of pulling the rear wheel out, alloy q/rs don't "bite" into the harder 6/4 ti like they do to Cervelo's soft alloy dropouts. I'm not sure I can come up with any other beefs regarding the Blade, but then again, isn't one too many for a frameset approaching $3000?

SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Saber is a great ride at a fraction of the price.

Titanium shines up real good too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at a picture of the 2003 Blade I'd say they also modified the seattube. I for myself also was interested in buying the 2003 model but its to much hassle over here in Germany to buy a Litespeed bike.

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply