Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

new "energy bars"
Quote | Reply
Seeking an alternative to power bars, cliff bars, and the like... my new food on the road is Smuckers Uncrustables... it is a peanut butter and jelly sandwisch which has no crust, is "sealed" along the edges, individually wrapped in a fit in your jersey pocket, wont melt... and man do they taste good inthe middle of a ride... now gott find a way to take some milk along with me on the ride...

It may not be high tech but man is it yummy
Quote Reply
Re: new "energy bars" [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got off of energy bars too. I just read the high fructose corn syrup is basically poison for your body.

I've been trying peanut butter, apple, honey, and raisins wrapped in a soft honeywheat quesadilla. Excellent on the bike after its been heated up in your jersey backpocket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last season I was using these "Bakes" bars (I can't remember what company makes them) that I got in the aisle of the grocery store with the granola bars. They have a banana bread flavour, apple and some cinamon/raison thing. They taste great, kept me fueled up and were only $2.99 a box so every long ride didn't cost me $12-15 in bars and gels. I use Quaker granola bars sometimes too just because my kids eat them a lot and I usually have them in the house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fave is Baker's Breakfast Cookies (www.bbcookies.com). A dozen or so flavors and pretty "good" for you.

Brett
Quote Reply
Re: new "energy bars" [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boiled baby red potatoes. little olive oil in the water, salted to taste.
Quote Reply
Re: new "energy bars" [CAT VI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SNICKERS!
located at every store, tastes great, digests well (for me anyway as I eat 2 for pre race breakfast) and way way less than any other of those energy bars. Food for the long haul.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: new "energy bars" [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have often wondered if Snickers are a good idea. has anyone else tried them for long distance rides?

certainly do taste nice...

may try them out this week-end.
Quote Reply
Re: new "energy bars" [cookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snickers rule, eat a few wash down with a tasty carbonated caffeinated beverage and then rage on your riding buddies for the next 3 hrs or until they cry uncle, whichever comes last.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: new "energy bars" [cookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snickers are great but the nuts can make them a little tough to get down. so in races i usually go for milky ways. 6-7 plus bananas and gatorade for an IM. haven't found anything that works better.

brent
Quote Reply
if only snickers didn't melt... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah they're great but here in Hawaii they tend to melt...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can't believe no one has mentioned fig newtons...
Quote Reply
Re: new "energy bars" [pat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could try extendbars:-

http://www.extendbar.com

My girlfriend (type1 diabetic) suggested I try them and they definitely seem to work for me and I am prone to exercise induced hypoglycemia. Only two flavours to choose from but they're both good. There used to be a New Zealand triathlon site back in '95 that had a good energy bar recipe on it. The mix was fig based, I preferred apricots, with orange juice, wholemeal flour, honey, blackstrap molasses and eggwhites. Tasted good and didn't melt when it got hot. There might still be a copy of the recipe out there somewhere maybe in the FAQ for rec.bicycles.tech

John
Quote Reply
Re: if only snickers didn't melt... [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
melting really isn't that much of a problem. you just squeeze the goo out of the wrapper like you would a gel. actually makes them a little easier to get down. this is where the nuts in snickers can get in the way so i go with the milky way.

brent
Quote Reply