Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

heated insoles? or winter cycling shoes
Quote | Reply
Hey, has anyone tried heated insoles on the bike? I am not talking about the chemical ones, but ones that are rechargable or battery powered. I saw a pair from Brookstone that are $99 and rechargable.

I have problems keeping my feet warm, even when it's upper 40s or low 50s. I have tried so far a wide combination of neoprene over the shoe booties, various socks, and those chemical toe heaters (like for camping or hunting, you open the package and they heat up). So far what I've tried isn't working. My feet still get cold and painful.

I would also like to hear from anyone who has had success with winter cycling shoes - was there a particular brand that worked or didn't work?
Quote Reply
Re: heated insoles? or winter cycling shoes [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used the insole heaters in my downhill ski boots and they are great!

You may have solved my problem, as I too, suffer from cold feet, even after trying all that you describe.

The only caveat is to have shoes big enough to accommodate the increased bulk of the electric insoles, but even buying another, bigger size winter shoe would be worth it if it means feeling your feet during a bike ride.

I presently own a pair of Goretex-lined winter bike shoes and they are very little help by themselves.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: heated insoles? or winter cycling shoes [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once the temps hit the lower 30s I use the Grabber Heat Treat Foot Warmers and Hand Warmers http://www.rei.com/...x=29&button.y=10. They make smaller toe warmers as well but the full foot warmers are better in my opinion. I buy them at REI in the camping section (see the link above). The foot warmers look like a super thin insole and I just slip them in my cycling shoes and the Hand Warmers are just small packets that I slip in my cycling gloves on top part of my hands. They keep my feet and hands nice and toasty - even when the temps dip into the 20s; however, I do also wear wool socks (DeFeet makes some awesome wool socks!) and booties over my cycling shoes. They are one time use disposable, and not reusable/rechargeable, but they are pretty cheap and so thin I don't even notice they are in my shoes. If you haven't tried them I would definitely recommend them.
Quote Reply
Re: heated insoles? or winter cycling shoes [little red] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input, but yes I have tried the Grabber brand insoles from REI or a similar store along with my neoprene booties over my cycling shoes. Not warm enough for me. :(

In buying the electric or rechargable insoles, I think I would remove the normal insoles in my cycling shoes and put those in there instead.
Quote Reply