Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: age group pros [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I seriously doubt that every age grouper has access to the same resources that Dan or Emillio have. That gives them an advantage. Any controversy would center around the significance that others attribute to it. So far, no one is overly concerned about it. I see that as a good thing. Their presence in our midst makes us all stronger. Maybe not strong enough to kick their butts but stronger none-the-less.

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: age group pros [drowning man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< I seriously doubt that every age grouper has access to the same resources that Dan or Emillio have. That gives them an advantage.

I'm not neccessarily disagreeing with you, but I still don't see what their advantage is that you are talking about? Sure Emilio gets first pick of his own wetsuits, but they aren't any different from the one's that you or I can buy off the rack. Dan knows how to position people on bikes and has a great place to train, but that is not something that was given to him based on who he is. He learned/invented/bought that. Still not anything that you or I can't do. If there is something else that is giving them an unfair advantage other than work ethic, genes and hard training, let me know. I want it too because I have to race against Emilio all the time and I have to take Dan's crap when he beats me, which is getting a bit to regular for my liking ;-)

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I accidently poted to you Mike when I meant to do so generally. That said,I find this interesting. I am a newbee and after training for a couple years I had to realize I will never catch up to those who have been training for years (even moderatly).No matter how hard I try,work,spend more hours a week training I can not catch up. Example:I did a local Tri where I have worked literally three time as hard as two guys my age. The difference,they both have biked for 20 to 25 years. They beat me. It was humbling,however I have come to accept that is just the way it is. Over the years they put in the time and I did not.They are now benfitting from their hard work. Even this is a newbees perspective of competing with the top MOPers is it not the same principle that you top of the MOPers are dealing with the Pro"s. Believe me I am not critisizing anyone,just trying to give a different perspective. Thanks Ken
Quote Reply
Re: age group pros [Zeke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
<snip>. For me, it's not about winning awards, it's about going fast.

Zeke

Amen brother!

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Folks, this is a great thread.

The whole concept of what to do with age-group riders is also pretty big in cycling these days - if a bit off most people's radar. There was a move afoot in Oregon earlier this year to seriously limit the category level at which you could participate in master's racing.

( In USCF cycling they have 5 levels of "proficiency" grading, 1 being top level amateur > 5 being beginner, plus "masters" categories beginning at age 30 and going up in 5 year increments.)

The idea that got floated around was to limit Master's racing to cat 3, or maybe cat 2, and lesser riders. Yuck. Bogus. The argument (from my completely biased perspective) seemed to boil down to "Hey - we keep getting our a##es kicked by these fast Cat 1 and 2 guys, let's just force them to race their category."

Some people REALLY want to win - and if the only way they can do that is to find a way to disqualify the fast folks, then so be it. Yuck.

I really like the idea of racing against my age-group peers. It's fun, and it's different than doing the elite races. I also think the whole age-group "thang" is a big part of what makes tri so inviting to beginners and people who are competing "for the experience," which raises issues in and of itself, but is in general a good thing, IMHOP.

MH - Cat 1 on the road, but also in my late thirties, damnit.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: age group pros [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about this. some one started another TNT thread else where and this is one thing that I think should be explored.

Seeding and waves are based upon your USAT ranking i.e. higher your ranking the faster you are in theory and therefore the more forward your wave.

Lower the ranking the further back, this would go someone way to correcting this issue.

They should also think about a time standard for the Oly trials as in T&F instead of this ITU series because you might not put up the strongest athletes.

TNT'ers that are not serious or dont have a ranking and other newbies automatically are relegated to waves further back so they'd be behind slower people with rankings who at least have experience this might go some way to correcting some of these issues along with the compulsory meeting attendance I had in that other thread and Dan reiterated or someone else did here.

There is no difference between fast AG'ers and slower pro's none so trying to seperate them would be pointless.
Quote Reply
Re: age group pros [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think 2 good ideas have been posted, well several good ideas actually, but 2 that stick in my mind. One is going to 23&Under, 23-40 (Open) and 40+ masters. The other is having a point system like bike racing to move from beginner to novice to expert to pro to whipping everyone's butt pro.
I personally like racing against the top guys in my area, pro or AG. For me it is just about doing my best, be it first overall or 117th overall. I'm happy to finish 3114th OV if I know I put forth my best effort. Some of my best memories of races are not the ones I won but the ones that I went as fast as I possibly could have on that day or set new PR's.
If racing the retired pro's makes me faster, then lets get it on.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: age group pros [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing at stake seems to be an IMH slot. Surely the slots should go to the best in the age group, what they've done with their lives prior to the race is irrelevant. There have been threads that suggest that any age grouper with the right attitude can qualify for Kona. Well the ex pros have that attitude, they devoted their life to it, a choice we all have.
Quote Reply
Re: age group pros [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
    Pros? It has never come up in Ski Racing that I know of. For master's racing you have 3 years (maybe it's 5) then you are eligible for age group masters. Everyone is eager to race against you, be friendly, and beat the living crap out of you if possible. It's all friendly.

Rick Swanger
Quote Reply
Re: age group pros [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think the pros will be poed when an Age Grouper wins Kona after retiring from bicycle racing?

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who, or what, do we race against?

And, why?

Will the L.A. Times, or Sports Illustrated be putting Dan or Emilio on the front page any time soon? Will Harold Bloom-Sterling Professor of Humanities at Yale-be writing of the deep cultural impact the two have had on life in America? If not, why have Dan and Emilio dedicated so much of their lives to this sport? To beat Mike Plumb? :),

This is a great thread because it raises the ultimate question:

"Why train and race this hard?"

To win, or to bring the joy of participation to our lives?

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If the numbers were there, there could be a separate competition sort of like the "legends" division that crops up occasionally. Handicapping is a possibility as well.

Actually wasn't there supposed to be some special "Master's Pro" races or something at one time? All the old guys like Tinley, Molina, Scott and such could then race against each other even more. Sort of like Golf's Senior Tour. I'd like to see that, and then throw Bonness in to stir them up.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you have nailed it. Another poster referenced the "everyone's a winner" societal trend. I find it interesting that on this forum, in regard to this thread and others, there is a split over the categorization of competitors.

I stand firmly in the "Less is More" camp. Junior, Open, Masters, Pro. End it there. It all comes down to perspective. There will always be athletes with more time to train than me. I have more opportunity to train more than some. I come from a strong running background, while some have no competitive background. I don't care.

I don't need to know how I stack up against a field of athletes between the ages of 35 and forty, that weigh between 190 and 200 lbs, can still dunk a basketball, are divorced, but happily re-married, who have had compartment-release surgery on their left (NOT RIGHT) calf within the last 3 years, and spent between $1750 and 1925 on their bike, not disc wheel, do not have a second "training" bike, average 6 hours of sleep a night, and work between 50-60 hours per week at a desk job (NOT MANUAL LABOR), blah blah blah.

I want to know how I do against my own limitations and the course within the confines of that day and the two or three disciplines required. I understand the need for defined competitors, but you start with a bunch of them at every event.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: age group pros [kevins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no shit, you can still dunk?
Quote Reply
Re: age group pros [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing to be proud of Rusty. It's a cruel joke that when you want to cycle faster over the course of one hundred odd miles you hold on to more than enough fast twitch fun to make it painful.
Quote Reply
Re: age group pros [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree. Age groups allow athletes to compete, (not just participate), well past a normal retirement age. My 73 year old father will bo going to the Edmonton ITU race in July. It is also the Canadian qualifer for the worlds in Queenstown in 2003, and Madiera in 2004. There are twelve spots available in each age group. If there were only three age groups, then instead of 12 spots available in each 5 year cohort, there would be 120 spots available to the 40+ age group. This event is open, so there will be thousands of AG athletes. The chance of a 73 year old finishing in the top 120 of all athletes 40 years and up is slim.

Triathlon is the only sport I can think of where the AG athletes and the Pro/Elite athletes contest their sports world championship at the same event. It is extremely cool that my father will be at the same event, and wearing the same colours, as Simon Whitfield, Jill Savege, et al.

As a Masters swimmer, my father has competed in several world championships. Many times he has been in the same event, (and been soundly thumped), by former Olympians. If former pro's decide to continue as AG athletes, then good on them. It's just one more example that athletics are not the exclusive domain of the young and beautiful. Five year age groups are a very small price to pay to give meaningful competition to athletes of all ages. Without them, we'd never see Norton Davey, Bill Bell, of Sister Madonna Buder.

My tuppence.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: age group pros [paul m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul,

I hear what you are saying and, yes triathlon is unique in this regard - that they contest the World Open/Senior/Elite/Pro(whatever you want to call it) Championships with the World Age-Group Championships at the same venue at the same time. There are positives and negatives to this in my mind.

Most other sports have seperate free standing championships for Junior Athletes, the Open Champipnships( Example: The IAAF World Athletics Championships in Paris this summer) and Master's or Age-Group championships. There is a Master's or Veteren's World Games for older athletes in a variety of sports as well.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: age group pros [paul m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Five year age groups are a very small price to pay to give meaningful competition to athletes of all ages. Without them, we'd never see Norton Davey, Bill Bell, of Sister Madonna Buder."

I think you have hit on an important component of the triathlon community. If you are good enough and want to compete with the best you can; if you want to compete with your age group you can; if you want to compete with larger specimens you can; if you want to compete against the clock you can; if you just want to finish you can; if you want to compete on a $5000 bike you can; if you want to ride your sister's one-speed you can; and on and on; and no matter which group you might fit in-you can tell Bjorn Andersson that his position sucks or that Gerard doesn't know what the hell he is talking about with regarding to Cervelos-and best of all they respond in incredibly admirable fashion.

I understand, factually, the reasons we get complaints about too much money on equipment, too many divisions, clydsedales, TNT etc., but I think all of these complaints pale relative to fact that all of these things help more people get pleasure in the sport. Where else can the wannabees interact so easily and warmly with the studs?
Quote Reply
Re: age group pros [Larry Himmel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course if you really want to open up a can of worms you can talk about the Europeans. There are any number of them racing AG now who while perhaps not ex Tri pros, were in state supported Olympic sports (Speed Skaters, Cross Country skiiers, Cyclists etc.), they enjoyed a "pro like" lifestyle. I think it's kind of cool having that sort of talent in the pack.

In Mt. Bike racing they have the field disected into age AND experience as well as the Pros. So, as an AGer in that sport you put yourself in the AG then the experience level, ie., Sport, Expert, beginner etc. I don't think this is a good idea for Triathlon, but it is one sport's solution to dividing up the pack. Also the Pro/Elites and Expert fields almost always race further distances and the Sport class goes longer than beginner.
Quote Reply

Prev Next