Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OK Now What??
Quote | Reply
Anyone else have the lost feeling of not having an event to train for during this off season. Finished last race exactly a month ago and can't stand just working out. I am trying to hold back and not sign up for something in Jan/Feb in hopes that if I'm really disicplined I can get stronger and faster during the off season. I know I need an off season but its not nearly as much fun! Anyone else? What are you all doing during the offseason?

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: OK Now What?? [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you really regimented in how you train? No reason why you still can't bike, swim or run just because you don't have an event penciled in. I actually look forward for the end of season change because it means relaxing fall running on the trails with my dog. Once the snow arrives, x-country skiing on the same trails begins and I give up running until spring. Not a problem for me because I like x-country skiing more and may even get back into downhill a bit this winter. Riding on a trainer in the basement with Coach Troy DVD's isn't much fun as outdoors however. Just change your routine or activities to the season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually cave and pick a Feb-ish marathon. I can't help myself. Last year I didn't, for the first time in 5 years, and I didn't do anything all fall. Lost a lot of fitness and gained weight. Never again.

Find something short and fun. Something different than you normally do and don't take it too seriously.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as I ache from still training, IMO, if you don't look forward to off-season, then concentrate on training HARD enough that you do appreciate not having15-30 hours staring at you on Monday.

Good advice from JenHS to find something, anything to head towards, as compared to floundering aimlessly.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel the same way! My goal right now is to get pregnant for kid #2, but I hate the feeling of not having a race or a goal in the future. What about setting up a challenge on ST? Are you motivated by them? I am not sure when the 100/100 starts, but I found that very motivating last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm totally in the same boat. Finished IMWI a month ago. I purposely didn't sign up for anything else b/c I didn't want to shift any focus from Wisconsin. I gave myself exactly 4 weeks off, just my spin classes and some occasional running (can't swim due to a bum shoulder that flaired up really bad after IM). Used that time to come up with a plan for the offseason. I also FORCED myself not to enter a marathon, although in the interest of full disclosure I have to admit I almost enter the Longhorn 70.3 when I found out I had to go to Austin anyways. But I held back (and my shoulder wouldn't let me swim anyways).

Now I've decided to do a January half marathon and start a training plan for that next week, with some maintenance biking and strength thrown in. I'm really excited about doing the half b/c it's a very different focus from IM racing. I've always been able to go long slowly, now I just want to go fast :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As my Roth IM training kicks off mid January, i wanted to have a really focused off season so that i get stronger for the start of a new season. I'm now commuting half an hour by bike each way to work, doing 3 session of bikram yoga a week and have just started 100 runs in 100 days with a mix of long runs, recovery runs and fartlek sessions. Likewise i was not keen on just floundering around with random training and wanted to make the next 3 months count towards improving my Ironman performance next season.
Quote Reply
Re: OK Now What?? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on, this week will be fun!!! As will next week. :-)

My goal for the next couple of months is to continue to do everything the doctor, physical therapist and coach tells me so I can hit training hard when I have a full release. Also, I have definite goals for next year, so I'm forcing myself to look at the big picture and not get caught up in every race or challenge that comes along. Does it fit into the goals for next year? If yes, go for it. If no, ignore it.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take a week-10d OFF from tri activities (rock climbing and xc skiing allowed if you want) and then get back to training.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always looked at the end of my season and note the women who consistently spanked me in my AG the year before. That always motivates me, I think if I'm consistent in the off-season, I'll be able to spank them next season. However, this is the first year I've been back at work full-time since forever. I recognize that I can't have the same goals that I did when I wasn't working.

But to answer your question, I always feel like racing keeps the training honest. Why not sign up for a few winter half marathons? I'm not an IM racer, nor a marathoner, but those half-marys are hard/scary enough to me to keep me in my running shoes!

Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Re: OK Now What?? [albarina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thoughts and although I love the idea of taking a bunch of time off and just racing in the spring/summer/fall, I agree with you all and do want to sign up for some 1/2s. I was just getting back this year and finished but nothing impressive in any way. So now I can work on speed, strength, and technique but I do agree that having an event keeps me honest and accountable. Love the Bikram idea too..need to look into where I can get into a class like that! Thanks all and if anyone has more plans on what they are doing this off season I would love to hear it!!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing a block of P90X right now in addition to a little swimming and running. It is a nice change and is helping to rebuild some upper body strength that seems to desert me so easily now that I am in my 40s. Bikram Yoga is also a great suggestion.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply