Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What to sacrifice: taper or long run?
Quote | Reply
I have recovered from my bout with the flu and am back training for the Nov. 1 New York marathon (yeah!!). The week I was sick was supposed to be a recovery week. Last week, I eased back into running by doing the recovery week, including a 12-mile long run this past weekend. If I continue with my schedule as is, I would have an 18-miler this weekend and a 20-miler next weekend. Had I not been sick, the 20-miler would have been this weekend and I'd start tapering next week. My inclination is to lose a week of taper and do two more weeks of big mile training, including both the 18 and 20-miler. The downside, of course, is that this will leave me with two weeks of taper instead of three. Is this a good idea or a bad idea? I'm a slow runner (predicted finish time around 4:15-4:30 if I have a good day), but recover pretty well from my long runs.
Quote Reply
Re: What to sacrifice: taper or long run? [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this your first marathon? When was the last time you did a 20+ mile run? What was your long run before you caught the flu & when did you start training for the marathon? How are you feeling now? strong, or still a little weak? How is the mid-week running going?
Sorry for all the questions, but I would need more history before applying my advice here. I am coaching a friend who will be running the Philly marathon, and she became ill as well. She really took a set back, but hope to have her back soon. But I have been working with her for about 6mos now, and can tailor her training when she has these setbacks.
Quote Reply
Re: What to sacrifice: taper or long run? [suwanne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be my 4th marathon. The weekend before I got sick, I ran 18 miles; I've also done a couple of 16-milers. My last 20+ miler was at the Colorado marathon a few years ago. I did a 70 minute run this morning outside in my hilly neighborhood. I didn't feel quite as strong as I did before I got sick, but overall, I felt pretty good. I've been very careful about coming back too fast and am considering abandoning all speedwork for fear of over-stressing my lungs (this Thursday, I'm supposed to do 8 Yasso 800s; I may just swap it out for an easy 8-mile hill run). And, FWIW, I do my long runs at 9 min. run/1 min. walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the 20 miler this weekend.

With a 2 week taper, go to two-thirds of your volume in the first week then one-third [of initial volume] in the second week. Maintain the intensity (ie your 800s though you should not do 8 of them in taper). Studies have shown that in tapers that just cut volume vs tapers that are all REST vs tapers that reduce volume and keep intensity, the later works best.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information. You have a solid training background going into the marathon, despite your setback. Here's my suggestion, and please do what you want with it (toss it or keep it ;) But I would say, moving forward (as of today) stick to your original plan for the long runs, and taper as your plan suggests. This is a key weekend for the long run prior to the NYC marathon (also coaching a friend on this marathon as well). Don't worry about the speed work at this point. I would add some sets of 25 pick- ups to some of your during- the- week runs. I am not sure where you live, but the leaves here are starting to fall and the air is cooler.. mold & pollen are in the air... this would aggreviate the lungs on those track workouts (and do).
So run the 20miler this week, and dont sacrifice the taper plan. You want to feel strong & healthy going into the NYC marathon, and thats why we taper :)
Best of Luck to you! Have a great marathon! I will be running it next year.

On another note, does the plan have you going to 20 or 22 miles this week? I have my friend running 22.
Quote Reply
Re: What to sacrifice: taper or long run? [suwanne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. My longest run is 20 miles. At my pace, that works out to 3:20+, which is plenty long for me to spend on a training run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there Lady!
I missed a long run and bike before my 70.3 and took the advice of the gals on this site which was to just keep with my original plan vs trying to squeeze it in and I think that my race felt so great because I had such a good taper. I also agree with the research on the intensity during the taper. Shorter workouts but at the race intensity seemed to work well for me! Let me know if you want some company on your long runs- would love to join you for a few!!! Keep up the good work!!!

COtrimom

Quote Reply