Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

polar or garmin?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I was thinking about maybe getting either a garmin or a polar... something that does pace and HR both. It might help me reach some goals, or just track how far I went without having to map it out.

Any opinions on either?
Either the garmin with its satelites or the polar with its foot pod.

Only hang up I have on any product is I have really small wrists. Looking down from above, they are 2" wide (I measured).
thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: polar or garmin? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Garmin 305 and it's huge. I think we will laugh about ever wearing that beast on our wrists in the next 10 years. That said, I do enjoy the stats after a workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have small wrists and I have used a garmin 301, 305, 405 and now have the 310. They are big but the fit on the 310 is great. It doesn't bounce around and does not pinch me like the 305 did. The information you have is great. I did try a nike HRM in the past that had a foot pod. My running pace is too varied (from near death to death pace LOL) for a foot pod to be very accurate. I do like the larger screen on the 310 since my old eyes can see it easier. The 405 is great if you just want it for running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the Polar s625x and recently bought a Garmin forerunner 305. I like Polar watches a lot and the HR monitor strap is really comfortable. However, the footpod was noticeable while running, and I ended up losing it (my fault, but also annoying!).

I'm totally digging my new 305. Yes, it is bigger and bulkier than a watch. My wrist is also ~2in wide at its smaller part. However, the unit is very light, and after a few minutes, I don't even notice it anymore. I did a LOT of research before getting it- and I'm really happy with it, and it gets me excited about trail runs and longer bike rides! I highly recommend it.

If you end up with the 305, I also recommend getting the velcro-quick strap release wrist band, which I found more comfortable than the wrist band it comes with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for the garmin forerunner 305. love, love, love it. I also have a smaller wrist but wear it over a sweat band in the summer and over my running jacket in the winter. They have really come down in price. lots of bells and whistles for a decent price. and if you are into cycling I also recommend getting the cadence unit.
Quote Reply
Re: polar or garmin? [julieb2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for the 305. With the price decreases on the impending release of the 310 I finally got one this spring. Love, love, love. Before it I had a Cateye double wireless cadence computer on the bike and a Timex HRM. I didn't mind using gmap pedometer to estimate distances for runs, but now I am thrilled with the data from my Garmin, and the way I can display and evaluate it on the Garmin Connect site.

I have very skinny wrists too, and with the bike quick release + cadence package you get a velcro wrist strap, which I've been using instead of the standard issue one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Polar since the early 90's (now have a 725) & then also the Garmin 201 which I upgraded to the 205 so I had something on both wrists. I just upgraded to the 310xt & sold my 205. It's really great. More functions, much better battery life (which is why I kept using the Polar), better gps reception, upgrade strap & nice vibrating alerts. I haven't used my Polar since except as a wrist watch. I love the 310xt.
I also saw a thread on slowtwitch about people who get irritations from the Polar HR having better luck with the Garmin strap. Since that is an issue for me another reason to switch.

On the reviews on the software the Polar has better advanced HR functions than the Garmin training Center. Though one can use the free program Sportstracks which works with both.

Barb
Quote Reply
Re: polar or garmin? [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input! I really appreciate it.

I didn't realize that a variance in run speed might affect the foot pod's accuracy. That is interesting.
Quote Reply