Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wal Mart on CNBC
Quote | Reply
A post with a different topic. Time for a change.

Did anyone by chance watch the 2 hr profile of Wal Mart on CNBC last night? If not, I'd highly recommend watching. A fascinating behind the scenes look at one of the greatest business powers America...and the world...has ever seen.

After watching and thinking about it, Wal-Mart is kind of scary. The company has so much retail power that by being a supplier to them can actually put a company out of business. They can change the retail shape of a town in a matter of weeks. Change supply chain operations for companies who decide to peddle their wares through their thousands of stores in 10+ countries.

I follow businesses very closely and was awed at their business model and in depth look at how they operate.

A short summary of the topic is here:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/...VReports/P100061.asp
Last edited by: Brian286: Nov 11, 04 12:13
Quote Reply
Re: Wal Mart on CNBC [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read a story about them in Fast Company a while back.

http://www.fastcompany.com/...zine/77/walmart.html

Very, very, very powerful.

Powerful enough to be one of the driving forces in keeping inflation down.
Quote Reply
Re: Wal Mart on CNBC [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't see this, but I did see the South Park episode on Wall*Mart. Chilling...

;)
Quote Reply
Re: Wal Mart on CNBC [rb5980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's consumer driven. In the relentless pursuit of the lowest price we force this behavior and companies that do so thrive. It's a double edged sword.

I don't normally shop at wal-mart. It's usually too crowded, lines are too long, and quite frankly the service sucks. I happened to go by there today during lunch and having watched the program had an entirely different perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Wal Mart on CNBC [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We studied Wal Mart as a model in my Systems & Design class. They were one of the first businesses that really embraced technology to the extent that they felt it is more than just a place to store your inventory. Their system is proactive. Their inventory system was ( I imagine still is) first rate. Essentially, the system ensures the inventory is sent to a store that is moving the inventory in a particular brand or model. So if all LA stores are selling out of lifejackets, the system will recognize that and ensure lifejackets from other stores that aren't selling so well are moved to LA. So they never have inventory just sitting around doing nothing.

As much as everyone may hate to admit it, most people do go to WalMart for one reason or another.
Quote Reply
Re: Wal Mart on CNBC [TnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They had a 15 minute piece on their inventory management system in the show. Showed the very system you're talking about. Their distribution centers are freakin' amazing. Nothing but 100's of yards of automated conveyers pulling and moving merchandise to the trucks lines up at the docks. All pulled, labeled, scanned, and tracked to each store.

The inventory pull system is more or less real time. Your transaction at the register is always on file and saved. Real time inventory is taking place and as items are beginning to run low, a buyer is alerted, new stock is ordered and redistibuted according to what is selling where.
Quote Reply