Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gonzales Wrong for Attorney General
Quote | Reply
Big tent my ass. The base has the power and they want to see some changes!

This is from Judie Brown, president of American Life League.

Quote:
"President Bush appears to be doing all that he can to downright ignore pro-life principles. There can be no other explanation for his recommendation of Alberto Gonzales as attorney general. Gonzales has a record, and that record is crystal clear.

"As a Texas Supreme Court justice, Gonzales' rulings implied he does not view abortion as a heinous crime. Choosing not to rule against abortion, in any situation, is the epitome of denying justice for an entire segment of the American population -- preborn babies in the womb.

Gonzales' position is clear: the personhood of the preborn human being is secondary to technical points of law, and that is a deadly perspective for anyone to take

Within the short period of one week, the president has been silent on pro-abortion Sen. Arlen Specter's desire to chair the senate judiciary committee, and has spoken out in favor of a judge with a pro-abortion track record to lead the Justice Department.

Why is President Bush betraying the babies?

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=39663
Last edited by: rb5980: Nov 11, 04 11:25
Quote Reply
Re: Gonzales Wrong for Attorney General [rb5980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, it would be nice if you actually said something to start a thread instead of just cutting and pasting parts of some random article.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Gonzales Wrong for Attorney General [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right. I'll change that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like him because he wrote the position paper for the administration saying torture isn't always out of the question. Hey, even if you think that don't write it down. Remember Nixon and his tapes?
Quote Reply
Re: Gonzales Wrong for Attorney General [Shad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the rightwingers will argue that the Geneva Convention doesn't apply.

I would hope we were more civilized than the terrorists, but apparently Gonzales/others see things differently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you explain how the Geneva Conventions would apply to the foreign fighters in Afghanistan?
Quote Reply
Re: Gonzales Wrong for Attorney General [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you want to argue that it doesn't legally apply, and it very well may not.

But that is not the point.

In my america, citizens cannot be held indefinitely, as this administration has argued they could.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I know you want to argue that it doesn't legally apply, and it very well may not.

But that is not the point.

In my america, citizens cannot be held indefinitely, as this administration has argued they could. "

So in your America, the law doesn't matter? By the way, holding someone indefinitely and toture are two separate issues, governed by different sets of laws.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Gonzales Wrong for Attorney General [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my america the laws DO matter.

Quote:

In a Jan. 25, 2002, memo to the president, he stated that the Geneva Conventions' legal protections for prisoners of war should not apply to al Qaeda or Taliban prisoners because the war on terror "renders obsolete Geneva's strict limitations on questioning of enemy prisoners and renders quaint some of its provisions."

Gonzales' view that the administration was within its rights to hold terrorism suspects for prolonged periods without access to lawyers or courts has been largely rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, do you think these are really his ideas or was he asked to write a brief making the argument? In my experience with Lawyers, they rarely "have a view", rather they make an argument that is favorable to their client. In this case, the client was the President.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point. Probably the later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His name is on the paper and he will be saddled with the contents. I don't know what his personal position is. I would like to see Congress approve him and save the fighting for the Supreme Court justices. That is a horrible idea but you need to fight the important battles when you have limited ammunition.

I would hope that the Geneva convention would apply to everyone more based on how Americans and other foreigners should be treated when they are captured. I don't want to live in a country whose argument for discarding the Geneva convention and other international laws and treaties is; 'Well they did it first." America should be leading by example. Just because your enemy is will to use the lowest forms of treatment doesn't mean you are required to follow suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big tent my ass. The base has the power and they want to see some changes!

Stop, you're breaking my heart.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The geneva convention is not us law. It is a covenant that most countries have agreed to abide by in conducting war.

It states very clearly that for the convention to apply both sides must have a clearly defined chain of command and that insignia/unfiorms must be worn to clearly identify combatants. The terrorists do not abide by these rules.

I do not agree with torture or holding citizens for unspecified periods of time. However, we are fighting an enemy that will blow itself up to kill you. In Iraq they will ambush a patrol, drop their guns and blend into the crowd because thay are not clearly identified as combatants. How do you fight such an enemy?

Fighting with terrorists is like going to a knife fight and the other guy shows up with a gun. If one refuses to abide by the rules the other is under no legal or moral obligation to do so.

As for the abortion issue. Gonzalez is exacty what Bush said in the debates he would appoint. He is not going to legislate. As a judge his duty was to interpret the law as written not legislate from the bench. He is objective and intelligent enough to seperate his own personal views of those of his job. I applaud and admire him for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Gonzales Wrong for Attorney General [Barrio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>>The terrorists do not abide by these rules.

Well fuck. Break out the bamboo shoots then.
Quote Reply