Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bush Nominates Alberto Gonzales As New AG
Quote | Reply
"I can tell you already he's a better candidate than John Ashcroft!", snaps Sen. Charles Schumer.

Where's the love, Chucky? Where's the love?

Bush Nominates Gonzales to Succeed Ashcroft as Attorney General
Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2004

WASHINGTON – President Bush named White House counsel Alberto Gonzales as attorney general on Wednesday, picking the administration's most prominent Hispanic for a highly visible post in the war on terror.

"His sharp intellect and sound judgment have helped shape our policies in the war on terror," Bush said of the man who has served as the White House's top lawyer over the past four years.

In an announcement in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, Bush outlined Gonazles' story, a boy who grew up in a family of eight children in a two-bedroom house in Texas, and now is in line for a Cabinet post.

If confirmed by the Senate, the 49-year-old Texan would become the first Hispanic to hold the job as the nation's top law enforcement officer.

Even before the formal announcement, one Senate Democrat liberal welcomed the appointment of "someone less polarizing" to the position. "We will have to review his record very carefully, but I can tell you already he's a better candidate than John Ashcroft," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y.

Ashcroft announced plans on Tuesday to step down.

Associated Press.
Quote Reply
Re: Bush Nominates Alberto Gonzales As New AG [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard this guy might be too moderate for many of the republicans. I don't know much about him. Isn't he currently White House Counsel?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He appears to be a good fit for the job. From what I've read he's solid.
Quote Reply
Re: Bush Nominates Alberto Gonzales As New AG [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was the first Hispanic to sit on the Texas Supreme Court and has been Bush's council for many years, including serving as the current White House counsellor. He holds center to slightly center-right views, and his judicial philosophy more constructionist rather than interpretationist.

This puts a right one up the old Dem wazoo. They risk alienating the Latino/Hispanic voting bloc if they try to block the nomination. I'm sure they'll trot out those fellas from LaRaza, who'll have an opinion, no doubt.

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who's LaRaza?

If they object to anything, I imagine it would be the 2002 memo that said the Geneva convention didn't apply to the POWs we were holding in Gitmo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This puts a right one up the old Dem wazoo. They risk alienating the Latino/Hispanic voting bloc if they try to block the nomination. I'm sure they'll trot out those fellas from LaRaza, who'll have an opinion, no doubt.

If the dems didn't block Asscroft, I'm pretty sure they won't put forth a strong effort on this guy. If I was Bush, I'd be more worried about how this will affect my conservative base since it is coming out in the press on the same day as my plans to legalize illegal aliens.

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: Bush Nominates Alberto Gonzales As New AG [rb5980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Who's LaRaza?

If they object to anything, I imagine it would be the 2002 memo that said the Geneva convention didn't apply to the POWs we were holding in Gitmo.

It doesn't. Geneva Convention applies to, for one thing, armies/soldiers that wear uniforms to identify themselves as such.

Can you please show me an Al Qaeda or Taliban uniform?
Quote Reply
Re: Bush Nominates Alberto Gonzales As New AG [GJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would imagine many Democrats will say this is a huge success, in that they were able to pressure Ashcroft out, and to get Pres Bush to nominate a much more moderate guy to replace him.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Bush Nominates Alberto Gonzales As New AG [rb5980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's LaRaza?

La Raza = "The Race". Liberal Hispanic-American (there's that hyphenated American thing again ;-) advocacy group. Similar to NAACP, Rainbow Coalition et al. Not bad guys, any of them. I just personally think that a small part of the problem with race relations in this country is that many of these groups might NOT want a condition to exist in which there are no racial problems.

It it did, they'd all be out of jobs ;-)

Tony (proud non-hyphenated Italian-Polish/American ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd call myself a Limey-Kraut American, but would sound like a tangy, tasty side dish.

AG is not really much of a Conservative/liberal kind of job. It is law enforcement. Where you are on the left right scale is not a very big thing.

I am happy to have him there as it hopefully paves the way for a conservative Hispanic appointment to the Supreme Court.
Quote Reply