Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cassette Question
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this seems a fairly basic question. Is there much difference between Ultegra and Dura Ace Cassettes? MY bike originally came setup with DA cassettes and now they are wornout. I need to buy new ones and trying to find out if I really need a $60 cassette or if a $30 one would ride the same.

Thanks for any and all info and advice.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Cassette Question [mikeran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a big difference between current model Dura-Ace nine speed and Ultegra cassettes. Dura-Ace cogs normally use several titanium cogs for the larger (19, 21, 23 tooth) cogs. The finish is different facilitating quieter, smoother shifting. I believe it is some kind of nickel-oxide coating (not sure), but it works. The Ultegra cassettes are substantially heavier and are steel with plating on them. There is a substantial weight savings with Dura-Ace. I can't recall the other differences off the top of my head (been up since 3:30 A.M.) but IMHO it is worth getting Dura-Ace if you have the $$$$.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cassette Question [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate to disagree with Tom about bikes, but the only reason I see to go with Dura Ace cassette is to save the two ounces or so of bike weight. In the scheme of things, that weight doesn't amount to anything. Your bike will shift fine with either one if it is adjusted properly.

Me? I have more money than engine, so I buy the DA stuff. It doesn't really help anything but my psyche though.
Quote Reply
Re: Cassette Question [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree... the DA casette really isn't worth the money unless you're a top racer on a hilly course and very few seconds makes a difference. If you figure out the price/performance (dollars per second) then a Dura-Ace casette is virtually useless when compared to any piece of aero gear. For most people, an Ultegra/105 casette will do just fine for training.

I have more engine than money and buy 105 for my training bike and Ultegra for my TT bike.
Quote Reply