Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

It's too crowded
Quote | Reply
      After reading all the comments on St. Anthony's, TnT'ers, slow people, last waves, fat people, I've come to the belief that the big races are just too crowded (that's what makes them big races). What we need is the Slowtwitch Insider's Guide to Uncrowded Races. So come on give up your secrets for the good of your fellow Slowtwitchers. I'll start the list by nominating the SOS (Survival Of the Shawankgunks) in New Paltz, NY. sosnyta@ulster.net It's about a half Im in time but what a race. It starts with the bike, 30 miles, then 4 runs and 3 swims in three sepperate lakes with a finish high above the last lake after a .7 mile run up the stone stairs. Enter early, it only take 180 recers per year.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Not gonna tell ya [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing goes for races as restaurants. They're always better before they get "discovered." It's already getting pretty bad down here. We're getting sellouts for some of the local sprints, sometimes as much as four weeks before race day. The invaders already have taken over Gulf Coast. We don't need more vacationing Birmingham or Atlanta folks coming down and taking race slots from hard working, underpaid local trifolk. Nope.

(Though if anyone is looking for a nice mellow end of season beach sprint, try Crab Trab in Destin. Great race, great food and free beer, and registration closed for it last year either the night before or day of the race)
Quote Reply
Re: Not gonna tell ya [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If any of you are looking for a really unique and scenic race experience then head over to Bermuda to do a race. 100 people or so, not entry limit, $20 entries... although you do miss out on getting a beer tent. The only other disadvantage is that you might find yourself being beaten by a 15 year old or two.

www.bta.bm - Bermuda Triathlon Association

Especially popular is the Bank of Bermuda Triathlon in October when Bermuda's best runners, cyclists, and swimmers all come strut their stuff in the team event.
Quote Reply
Re: It's too crowded [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the Aitoman Triathlon on TAHITI the week after IM Hawaii. An IM and 1/2 IM. I was given two entries to the race by the director and am having a drawing late July for anyone who is interested. Enter at my web site.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: It's too crowded [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am temporarily living in Singapore and races are never sold out here. I did an Olympic distance race last weekend in Malaysia and the entry fee of US16 included the race, buffet dinner and breakfast. The Laguna Phuket race in Thailand in December is a first class race with lots of international pros and is never sold out. The other places where I do most of my racing (Arizona and Nova Scotia) also do not have a problem with sold out races.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: It's too crowded [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
give it to me Frank, you need someone who speaks french to go to Tahiti :-)
Quote Reply
Re: It's too crowded [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a race out in central Washington called the Whiskey Dick Triathlon. It's a one mile swim in the Columbia River then you ride up out of the river gorge. It's only a 25 mile bike but feels much harder because the first twelve are straight up hill out of the gorge with something like 2300 feet of elevation gain. Then it's a nine mile run.

I raced it a couple years ago and I think there were about 100 competitors. It was only my third race and virtually everyone in it was pretty hard core. Every bike on my rack was a Softride or Cervelo or QR and there were lots of Wildflower and Kona tshirts. I had my 1993 REI Trionfo with no clip-ons or anything and it seemed like everyone there was "That Guy" or "That Girl" but it was a very fun grassroots kind of race and people were very friendly and cool.
Quote Reply
Re: It's too crowded [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois,

That is the week after IM Hawaii. I suspect once you are on the podium there it will take more than a week to get you off. :-)

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply