Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are we playing whack-a-mole in Iraq?
Quote | Reply
Hit 'em in Falluja, they pop up in Mosul. Hit 'em there, they pop up in Ramadi. Meanwhile, they pop up again in Falluja after we left.

I read the article by the former head of the bin Laden group in the CIA, and I wonder how we can possibly win by driving the insurgents out of one city after another, unless we plan on continuing to occupy each city.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Are we playing whack-a-mole in Iraq? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We'll take em' any way we can like we are in Fallujah. Door by door, city by city. They can't run forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we can secure major population centers to provide safe places for the Iraqis to vote the idea is once the people vote and a government they pick takes power they will begin to take responsibility for their own lives and help defeat the insurgents.

That is the plan. Of course I am beginning to doubt the Iraqi people as a whole and am leaning to just leaving.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Are we playing whack-a-mole in Iraq? [DragAttack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Criticism from Europe is nothing new in this war. Especially from "ex" administrators.

Everyone is an arm chair quaterback these days...especially from Europeans who never got into the game in the first place.
Quote Reply
Re: Are we playing whack-a-mole in Iraq? [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My point is that unless we occupy every house, the insurgents will just move somewhere that we aren't. Seems like that has happened in Samarra after we left.

http://www.nytimes.com/...st/10insurgency.html

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a tricky and dangerous situation. Quite frankly I'm glad I'm not the man calling the shots in this action.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What your talking about is true of every war. Who we call terrorist in Iraq used to be called sapers. The diffrence is when we drove the Nazi's out of France the French to responability for rounding up any Nazis left and took control of thier streets and fields. The Iraqis don't give a shit. It is up to every Iraqi to get there house in order and they do nothing.

I like the idea of leaving more everyday.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out the news this morning.
military commanders are saying most of the insurgents, and pretty much all of the leaders had already left.

but even if you kill all of today's leaders, my bets are on other people taking their place.

it's a network, not an organization.

until we understand this, we're just being bled dry (money wise especially).
Quote Reply
Re: Are we playing whack-a-mole in Iraq? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't leave. We don't get to go in, break the country, and then leave before it's back on its feet. think what you want about how we got where we are, but we're there now. Leaving will only serve to lose us more international legitimacy, and give terrorists a valid reason to tell the arab world we don't care about them. Leaving is not a good idea.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Are we playing whack-a-mole in Iraq? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But where the hell are the Iraqis? Even though the left and the media want to deny it we are dong major reconstruction projects over there.

Power plants aren't just being repaired they are being built from the ground up with new equipment and modern control systems, sewer and water treatment systems are being built at a scale never seen in the country, schools are being built in place long ignored, the oil system is being put back on line but when ever we get them working they get bombed. Why are the locals not stepping up and taking control?

Some guy you don't know comes into your neighbor find out who he is and what he is doing there. Hear a roomer of a plot hatching near you tell the police or the military.

TAKE SO GODDAMN RESPONSABILITY OR STOP BITCHING!!!

Last edited by: Mr. Tibbs: Nov 10, 04 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say "every house", but we clearly need more boots on the ground to provide security. A lot more boots...
Quote Reply
Re: Are we playing whack-a-mole in Iraq? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I wouldn't say "every house", but we clearly need more boots on the ground to provide security. A lot more boots...

But, but...oh, nevermind.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"secure major population centers to provide safe places for the Iraqis to vote.....
That is the plan."

Hope it works but might be questionable.

http://news.yahoo.com/...ections_boycott_dc_2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who do you think these people are? They've been living in fear of their lives for decades. The insurgents are mostly old Republican guard types, the very guys that used to help wreak havoc in the communities. There is not yet any reason for the locals to think anyone can protect them from the bad guys if they speak out. Why do you think they are going to just up and start to act like Americans?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply