Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to the board with a question
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I'm fairly new to triathlons and especially the bike aspect of it. There are MANY things I do not know when it comes to this, but the one that is bugging me is about the gearing. I read the post a couple down about riders having the right setup and to be honest, I don't really get it. Would someone please explain for the uninformed the meaning behind the numbers, why they are important and anything else you could think of? FWIW, I currently own a Trek 1000 (which I bought to do a few tri's and to see if I enjoyed riding). I've found out that I enjoy riding VERY much and I'm starting to look at getting a new bike if I can find anybody in the area that I really trust to give me good fitting. Around 2,000 is what I'm looking to spend, maybe a hair more, hopefully a hair less, but for now, I'm just trying to learn more about it bikes in general.

Thanks for any help,

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: New to the board with a question [alb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I daresay that 90% of the tri community has no clue about gear ratios, including many picking up hardware at the podium. This board is crawling with beloved bike geeks, who know and care about such things. If you get a flight deck computer on your new bike, it will tell you what gear configuration you are in every time you shift--handy for the ratio impaired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WElcome... I am new to and found that this forum is very helpful and informative. Where are you located? Someone here may know where you can get a fit.By the way for the more experianced to answer you(not me)maybe tell them what gearing you currently have ect..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's lots of good bike info on this site [slowtwitch: more than just the forums], also some excellent info on sheldon brown's site [try http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html for example]. And here's a good basic primer on gearing: http://www.cyclingsite.com/lists_articles/gearing_101.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell us where you are and at least one of us will be able to give you a recomendation for a bike fitter.

For 2000 you can surely get a very nice bike that will last you many years... I would definately still hold onto the road bike for traingin, group rides, etc.

The important thing to understand about tri bikes is that they are designed to be used with aerobars in the aero position a great majority of the time while road bikes are meant to be ridden with standard bars.

If you have a good fitter he/she will be able to explain all of that as it pertains to you... The rest of the stuff you will pick up as you read more

hope this helps
Quote Reply
Re: New to the board with a question [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help and the links. They are very informative. I live in Knoxville TN.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Would someone please explain for the uninformed the meaning behind the numbers, why they are important"

------------

The numbers refer to the number of cogs on your rings. Up front you probably have two unless you are a sissy like Art (just kiddin'), and on the back you most likely have 9, although you might have 8 on an older bike and 10's are supposedly available or at least on the way. This gives you up to 18 gears if you have 9 on the back, though the ratio on some will be very similar and some want be very useful because you'll be so drastically cross chained (your chain running, as compared to a straight line parallel to your motion, at an acute angle). In a specific gear, the ratio between the number of cogs on the front and the number on the back is essentially gearing. That ratio, multiplied by the circumference of your tire, is the distance your bike moves on each pedal revolution. Most road bikes have a 53 cog big ring up front and a 39 small. Most rear cassettes come stock with 11-23. Obviously, there are more than 8 or 9 numbers between 11 and 23 inclusive, so a few are skipped. www.analyticcycling.com, or some of the bike geniuses on here can tell you exactly which ones. So, if your're in your big ring up front and the smallest on the back, you're getting 53/11 x wheel circumference in distance for every pedal stroke.

It's pretty easy (and not very expensive) to buy and install or get installed a rear cassette with more cogs, which effectively reduces your gear ratio, makes you cover less ground per revolution, but makes it easier to pedal. I have a 12-27 for instance. Unless you have some monster quads, I'd look into the 12-27, because you'll want that 39x27 combo (your very "easiest" gear) to go humping over Crybaby Hill this September when you do the Knox Lock Tri.
Quote Reply