Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC roll call [lmnilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HI girls - I don't post much, but I read all the time - I am doing IMC, first IM for me! Super excited and nervous! Just did my last long run today, but I am bummed because the shoes I started to 'break in' at the beginning of August seem to have given me a blister (I have not had a blister in forever!!). Ahhh- do I go for my old shoes, buy another pair, or hope for the best with these ones?? Hmmmmmm.

Any last-minute advice from the womens IMC veterans?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call [Angela K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay! I hope we get a chance to meet you. MDraegerNYC and I are sharing a house.

As for your shoes, have you tried lubing the hot spot? I put a big smear of Aquaphor or bodyglide in places where I tend to blister and it helps a lot.

I've only done IMC one other time so I'm not really a veteran. My advice is to have fun and enjoy the day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a tough call with the shoes. I would agree with the suggestion to try lubing the hot spot. If you still are having problems with the new shoes even after lubing the spot and if you think your old shoes can get you through the marathon I would go with those. I'm not doing IMC but I did do IMCDA in June and ended up with monster blisters on the bottom of both feet. It was mainly due to my feet getting wet in the rain but I also had newer shoes. It was incredibly painful and I have scars on both feet to remind me of IMCDA! Good luck at IMC - there is nothing like your first IM, take it all in and enjoy the day. There will be lots of people out there cheering you on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I did CDA several years ago, I put an extra set of shoes in my run special needs bag. I wasn't getting blisters, but it just felt kind of good to put on a fresh pair. Maybe you could wear your old ones for the first half and new ones the second?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you know what, come race day you're not going to care so much. Go for the lube on the feet, good socks, etc. and go with your gut. Remember you do not get your special needs bag contents back... do you really want to put another pair of shoes in there? I'd suggest a fresh pair of socks and some lube in the SN bag instead...

Next time around, just work on building up your callouses :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why the new shoes? If there isn't a problem with the old ones go with the old shoes. If you are having blisters with the new ones now it will really suck on race day. Don't put any more miles on the old ones between now and race day.

Advice, I've got lots of it but I'll try to stick to the basics:
  • Relax and have fun.
  • You've put in the training and trust in that.
  • Plan your race and race your plan. Caveat is that if the wheels come off, be flexible and have a plan B or C. Stomaches can get icky so think about what you will do if that happens.
  • Carry a baggy with Tums, Glucose tabs (for when you get really ditzy) Immodium, a small tube of Aquaphor for chafing and I also carry Advil but use that carefully. Stick it in your tri top pocket on the run. They are great emergency supplies and have saved me more than once during a race.
  • Bring gear for all possibilities with the weather so you don't have to scramble to buy something before the race if it changes.
  • Thank the volunteers.
  • Relax and have fun. Did I already say that? ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenHS: Aug 14, 09 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did that at IMC when I did it last. New shoes, new socks... HEAVEN!!

Lana

Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Piggy backing on Jens reply; it's a long day, if you get yourself into a caloric deficit and start to bonk, you have time to eat your way out of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be doing it. My first IM and indeed my first time to Canada.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Piggy backing on Jens reply; it's a long day, if you get yourself into a caloric deficit and start to bonk, you have time to eat your way out of it.

Endurance based athletic events are probably the only time where one can "eat oneself out of trouble"... :p

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cue the scene from the Great Outdoors - the one where John Candy has to eat all the leftover gristle from his giant steak...

mmmmm

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what size the gatorade bottles are that are provided on the course?

I just realized this morning that the 710ml bottles of gatorade (the 180 calorie ones with the green twisty lid) do not fit on my 2nd bottle cage. I have two cages on the frame, and since my frame is small, only smaller bottles fit on the upright cage - the cage on the seat-post side of the frame. I am glad I decided to try it out this morning - now I think I am off to the bike store to buy a "behind the seat" bottle holder.... need to try it out on my ride tonight!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last couple of years it has been those bottles. We likely won't find out what bottles are being used til we get up there (I'm actually working for Gatorade).

Oh and a PSA to all the American racers:
THERE IS NO GATORADE ENDURANCE ON COURSE!!!!

Quote | Reply
keep in mind there is an aid station what every 10mi or so, so you may be able to just run the one larger bottle on your downtube and carry your own smaller bottle for water on your seat tube, and refill that as you need to... or they may have smaller water bottles. I can imagine you'd only need 1 bottle of gatorade at a time right?

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks AndyPants - I really only need one bottle, that is true! I want a back-up bottle cage for water, and I tried the behind the seat one today on my ride and it was great, so I am all set.

I am soooooo excited!! I cannot believe the day is almost here!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be there for my first Ironman! Yikes, I'm scared...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My frame is small too, it only hold one cage. I'll race with my aero bottle and one on the bike. Aid every 10 miles is great!
Quote Reply

Prev Next