Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Arm cramping from sports bra?
Quote | Reply
My last two runs, I've gotten cramps in my shoulders and arms to the point where I've had to stop running. It feels like someone is pinching me on the top of my shoulder and the pain radiates down my arm. I've been wearing the same sports bras and tops for 6 months now, but I can't help but think the cramping is stemming from something being too tight and restricting blood flow. It happens earlier in the run, miles 1 and 2 and then gradually goes away.

Anyone else ever have this, and where you able to pin point what caused it?
Quote Reply
Re: Arm cramping from sports bra? [tallgirlNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it might be your sports bra, but i usually find if i'm getting sore in the shoulders it's because i'm getting tense and letting them creep up toward my ears. doing some shoulder rolls or just using your back muscles to pull your blades down and open up your collar bones might help - i'm particularly bad for tensing up when running up hills.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Same boat as Mistress K....I get them quite often regardless of sports bra and/or top. I tend to tense up while I run and that makes my shoulders easy to pick on for sore spots. (I'm also reliable like clockwork for a side stitch around Mile 9 or 10...)

I'd say take a moment to swing your arms, roll your neck and shoulders and just loosen up a bit. I'm still hoping that my magic answer arrives in the middle of the night "the good running fairy" and I wake up with running talent, but I haven't seen that broad yet and am still a work in progress.

Hope this helps at all.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought of something else - I have one of my sports bras with an incredibly tight band (boo Nike) and it doesn't make my shoulders uncomfortable, but it does make breathing a bit tougher....so it may be partly perception and that causing you to tense up a bit?

I wear that one to do yard work now....

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I think it could be your sports bra. I had the EXACT same thing happen. It happened during a half marathon in which I wore my team's bra top. Oh my god, I kept yanking on the straps and trying to move it around the entire time. And it is definitely the bra top because I've worn it twice since then and both times the same thing happened. However, unlike you, the pain never goes away. So as much as I would like to wear it, I just can't. The pain is not worth it. I guess I'd take note of which bras are affecting you and probably use them for activities that don't involve running.
Quote Reply