Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cameron Brown just says No
Quote | Reply
   Cameron Brown is on the cover of Inside Triathlon. His Lightspeed Blade doesn't have an intetrated headset. I can't see the stays on the bike but Bunnyman, what now makes frankenbikes socially acceptable? I don't think carbon stays are bad, just useless. With vibrations travelling up the seat tube where the seatpost is clamped. I think the bike would be better with a carbon fiber seatpost to kill the bad vibes.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Brown just says No [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until Juan at Nova Cycle Supply and I had a conversation, I was convinced that Frankenbikes were the anit-christ coming to the world of bicycles. But, here are the reasons why I am now convinced that they are okay:

1) Frankenstays can be installed with no glue* (clamp with QR skewer before installing), the glue keeps them from rattling. It is nearly a press-fit before gluing.

2) Frankenstays can insure a straighter bike with less cold aligning. Scribe the BB, mitre the socket at a 90 degree angle, and you have made it very easy to install straight chainstays. It is slightly more complicated to do it on the seat tube for the seat stays, but it is handled in basically the same manner. Any dummy could make a straight rear triangle.

3) The glue used in a Frankenstay has an engineering plastic to insulate. But the real story is that they must be compressed with a QR skewer before they are installed.

I only see benefit with Frankenstays when the entire rear triangle is being done, and really only on aluminum or steel. It will not make an aluminum bike any lighter; infact, it will be heavier. But on some steel, they can lighten up the rear triangle considerably. It would not even think about them on Ti.

We all know why I say NO to integrated headsets.

As far as ride comfort, they do make a difference+. But I am still convinced that a frame that needs a longer seat post (i.e. compact design) is the way to go for comfort.

* Please note: this was done for testing sake, as it is NOT recommended.

+ I rode a Fondriest steel Frankenbike.
Quote Reply