Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Re: Slowtwitch piece on riding steep geometry
Quote | Reply
Excellent article from Dan on the steep riding position requirements. One question, do you recommend steep positioning for ALL courses and distances? Is there ever an instance in which an athlete ought to ride shallower given the course distance and/or profile (ie., IM France or Lanzarote)? Or, is this just a matter of learning how to ride a steep angled bike as recommended in the article. Thanks for the feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch piece on riding steep geometry [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 "do you recommend steep positioning for ALL courses and distances?"

If you read his writings, even Dan wouldn't recommend going that far and acknowleges that there are courses and even certain riders that may benefit from a more shallow angle. Realize that Dan is is the innovator of the 650 steep angle tri bike so he should be allowed some bias, but there is no such thing as one rule that works every time for everybody.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After spending a really cool weekend with Dan, Monty and John up in the hills in the FIST workshop, I have a new respect for Dan and his fit ideals. We have historically sold "road bikes" to entry level athletes. We sell very few tri specific bikes. Even though Dan originated the steep position he did not bite my head off when I suggested that most people do not ride steep. Actually, I think it triggered him to start working on the formula which helps determine armrest drop at slacker angles. I felt a formula that addressed slacker angles would be more useful for my market. I was fun working on the formula.

So, no steep is not the best for every course, nor everyone. But if it works for you and you can maintain the position, then you should use it as much as possible. I climbed a big hill near Dan's house, on a borrowed Kestral, chasing Monty. He was in the steep pos the whole time, riding away from me up the hill. He can ride steep and stay that way, so it is more aero and faster. If your body or bike limits your ability to go steep, don't feel cheated, just ride harder in the pos that works for you.

shawn

"Nothing in life ever just happens. Calculated progression insures your strength."
Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
http://www.bikecycleshop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it just depends on how much time you intend to stay in the aero position. if you're out of the aero position half the time, i'd ride a road race bike.

but i don't think that's specific to the hills, or lack thereof. it's about time in the aero position. the NICE triathlon is a case in point. the way it used to be (i don't know about the newer course) you were doing a lot of riding on twisty roads. it was hard to stay in the aero position for a lot of it. one could not be blamed for riding a road bike.

but taking IM canada as an example, there's a fair bit of climbing, but all the fastest times have been set on steep seat angled bikes, because of the ability to stay in the aero position.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch piece on riding steep geometry [Shawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
I felt a formula that addressed slacker angles would be more useful for my market. I was fun working on the formula.
shawn[/reply]

Do you want to give us the formula? I tried out dan's with the conversion for each degree less then 80 but it didn't seem to work for a 73deg road position, seemed a little low to me.

A
Quote Reply