Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The ACLU strikes again! [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>"Gee, if that's not the case, why do we now have all these laws against hate speech? HMMMM? I can't get a permit to parade through Compton wearing white sheets and carrying placards denouncing blacks as genetic sub-species or suggesting "Go back to Africa, nxxxxx." That's no different from what the Nazis did in Skokie.

Wow! This would be a really bad idea. I live in LA -- you wouldn't want the ACLU to protect you in that situation, you'd need the National Guard (oh, wait, they're all in Iraq, I think.)

Seriously, though, I don't think there are any laws against hate speech. There are laws against hate crimes, but as long as you are not kicking the shizzle out of people or dragging them behind your pickup truck, to the best of my knowledge, you are free to say anything you want. Hate crime statutes act, essentially, as penalty enhancers for otherwise illegal acts. I'm not sure that they really pass constitutional muster, but they are a far cry from what you are worried about.

Quote | Reply
I don't think there are any laws against hate speech. There are laws against hate crimes

It isn't quite that cut and dried. Remember Virginia vs Black?

Besides, if Canada and Europe ban hate speech, it must be a good idea. We'll smarten up eventually.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply

Prev Next