Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WMD's found in Iraq.......
Quote | Reply
Not yet...... But I am curious if anyone out there that is against the war in Iraq would have a different opinion if they were. I mean are you really upset that massive stock piles have not been found, therefor feel the war is unjust, or are you really a pacifist at heart and do not believe in war at any cost. It seems we have been hearing a constant attack against the President for going to war when no stock piles have been found. I just finished reading General Tommy Franks book "American Soldier". I strongly recommend it for everyone to read regardless of political ideology. I recommend it because it is an honest account from the Commander who planned and executed both wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. He, more than anybody is dismayed and surprised no "stockpiles" of WMD were found. In fact when asked what most surprised him about either war it was just that. Even still he disagrees with those that we were wrong for toppling Saddam's regime. He points to the January 2004 Senate testimony of Dr. David Kay; Kay is quoted as saying " Let me begin by saying, we were almost all wrong, and I certainly include myself here. My view was that the best evidence that I had seen was that Iraq indeed had weapons of mass destruction." " I would also point out that many governments that chose not to support this war- certainly the French president, Chirac, as I recall in April of last year- referred to Iraq's possession of WMD." "The Germans certainly- their intelligence service- believed there were WMD. Kays report goes on to say they found "a clandestine network of laboratories and safehouses within Iraq that successfully hid equipment and research materials on chemical and biological weapons." Coalition forces indeed found tons of precursor chemicals storedseparately from commercial stocks as if being readied for rapid production. General Franks is quoted as saying "while we may have not found actual stockpiles, what the coalition discovered was the equivalent of a disassembled pistol, lying beside neatly arranged tray of bullets. A final quote from David Kay "I think the world is far safer with the disappearance and removal of Saddam Hussein." One final bit of interest is the discovery of a 155mm Artillery Projectile filled with 4 liters of sarin nerve gas in Baghdad in May 2004; certainly proves Saddam was lying when he said he destroyed every munition from his stockpile. When it was found the news media chalked it up to a forgotten or leftover munition. Several thousand chemical protective suits, brand new and never opened, were also found in an area where Republican guard troops occupied. What was the purpose of those suits. Certainly not to protect them from our chemical weapons. We do not use them. General Franks also says it would have been inexcuseable for the US to allow Baathist Iraq to facilitate the nexus between WMD and terrorists such as Abu Musab Zawahari.

And finally from Edmund Burke: "The only thing neccessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Saddam had 12 years and 17 UN resolutions and still chose his own fate.
Quote Reply
Re: WMD's found in Iraq....... [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.tartarus.org/...says/burkequote.html

I am a bit of a pacifist but if there were WMDs and an intent to use or distribute these weapons, the war would have my full support.
Quote Reply
Re: WMD's found in Iraq....... [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am curious if anyone out there that is against the war in Iraq would have a different opinion if they were. I think it's reasonable to think that many people who oppose the war would change their minds if real evidence of WMDs were to be found, unlikely as that is. I, however, am not one of them.

I mean are you really upset that massive stock piles have not been found, therefor feel the war is unjust, or are you really a pacifist at heart and do not believe in war at any cost. I am not a pacifist, and I do believe that war is necessary at times. I don't, though, feel that even if there were WMDs in Iraq, it would have necessitated or justified our invasion. (Invasion would have been justified, I think, if Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, and if we had real evidence to lead us to conclude that he was about to use them against us. Evidence of the former was shaky, to say the least, and evidence of the latter was completely and totally non-existent.)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: WMD's found in Iraq....... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for reading my thoughts and posting them here. Exactly my stance and consideration.
Quote Reply
Re: WMD's found in Iraq....... [kevins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thank you for reading my thoughts and posting them here. Exactly my stance and consideration.

Oh great - now there's 2 of them.

;)

Why are you against the war?

It would change my feelings considerably if WMDs would've been found.
Quote Reply
Re: WMD's found in Iraq....... [rb5980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm against the war for the reasons I mentioned in my original post: I don't believe that Iraq presented an imminent threat to the US, and I don't believe the mere fact that (hypothetically speaking, obviously) if he had WMDs means that he would have been an imminent threat to the US.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Post deleted by rb5980 [ In reply to ]
Re: WMD's found in Iraq....... [rb5980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
empiricism. which is not emotivism. which is not relativism. To-mae-to, to-mah-to. . .

Quote Reply