Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wildflower Report
Quote | Reply
as I write this, there is a deer bedded down in the brush about 20 feet from my RV. That is one of the cool things I like about being at Wildflower early, the wildlife. I could hear wild turkey's this morning but couldn't spot them.

If you're coming in an RV, be prepared to use the generator, I think I got the last full hook up site last night at 7pm.

Hard to believe the forecast is still for showers on Saturday. It is clear and sunny with a couple of small puffy white clouds up high right now.

Not a whole lot else going on right now, just relaxing and enjoying the quiet before the storm (arrival of the tenters).

Time to go for a ride!

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Report [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck Mike!!! I can't wait to hear/read how you did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Weather.com...

I especially like the line about "any outdoor activities planned for this weekend would best be scheduled for Sunday rather than Saturday." Thanks alot! Any chance of the 1/2 being moved to Sunday? ;-)

Quote:
Watches and Warnings Bradley Forecast

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN FRANCISCO CA615 AM PDT WED APR 30 2003...LATE SEASON STORM HEADING TOWARD THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA COAST...AS THE MONTH OF MAY GETS UNDERWAY...AN UNUSUALLY LATE IN THE SEASONPACIFIC STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO SPREAD SIGNIFICANT RAINS INTO THESAN FRANCISCO AND MONTEREY BAY AREAS. THIS STORM IS CURRENTLY TAKINGSHAPE ABOUT 600 MILES WEST OF SAN FRANCISCO...AND IS ON TRACK TOBRING RAIN INTO THE CENTRAL COAST BEGINNING THURSDAY NIGHT.RAINS ALONG THE FRONTAL BAND OUT AHEAD OF THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEMSHOULD BECOME MOST INTENSE ACROSS THE REGION ON FRIDAY. PROJECTIONSARE FOR WIDESPREAD RAINFALL TOTALS IN THE 1 TO 2 INCH RANGE TO OCCURWITH THIS STORM THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT...WITH NUMEROUS SHOWERS CARRYINGOVER INTO SATURDAY AS WELL. WITH THE CENTER OF THE STORM EXPECTEDTO PUSH INTO THE MONTEREY BAY VICINITY...THE LARGEST RAINACCUMULATIONS WILL LIKELY MATERIALIZE FROM SAN FRANCISCO SOUTHTHROUGH MONTEREY COUNTY. RAINFALL COULD EXCEED 2 INCHES...ESPECIALLYIN OROGRAPHICALLY FAVORED AREAS SUCH AS THE SANTA CRUZ AND SANTALUCIA MOUNTAINS.DAILY RAINFALL RECORDS FOR FRIDAY MAY 2ND ARE SURE TO BE SHATTEREDIF THIS STORM DEVELOPS ANYWHERE NEAR TO WHAT IS EXPECTED. MOST OF THERAINFALL RECORDS FOR THAT DATE ACROSS THE DISTRICT ARE A QUARTER INCHOR LESS...WITH SEVERAL UNDER A TENTH OF AN INCH.IN ADDITION TO THE POTENTIALLY HEAVY RAINS...THIS STORM WILL ALSOBRING SOME STRONG SOUTH WINDS...ESPECIALLY ALONG THE COAST WHEREGUSTS OVER 30 MPH ARE POSSIBLE BY FRIDAY. A FEW THUNDERSTORMS AREALSO IN THE OFFING. THIS STORM IS NOT EXPECTED TO PRODUCE ANYSIGNIFICANT FLOODING PROBLEMS ON AREA RIVERS AND STREAMS...BUT THERECOULD VERY WELL BE SOME URBAN FLOODING OCCURRING IN THE HEAVIERDOWNPOURS.SHOWERS WILL TAPER OFF SATURDAY NIGHT...WITH SUNDAY DRYING OUT NICELYAS THE STORM MOVES OUT TO THE EAST. SO ANY OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES PLANNEDFOR THIS WEEKEND WOULD BEST BE SCHEDULED FOR SUNDAY RATHER THANSATURDAY.STAY TUNED TO THE WEATHER CHANNEL AND WEATHER.COM FOR UPDATES.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Up here in Sacramento it is the same way, nice weather. I was running just a few minutes ago and could not imagine a storm. Maybe up long course folks will luck out and it will not rain until Saturday afternoon :)

Reverend Dr. Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Report [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's aim for evening... give us slow women a shot at getting out dry too! It's funny that I did some of my runs at 2 or 3 in the afternoon to prepare for the heat of WF... should've been going out in the tornado watches :)

Anxiously awaiting my departure form Kansas,

Meg.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Report [Meg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll just say that I'm bringing LOTS of plastic bags. And extra towels.

Meg, another slow woman here. Based on our bib numbers, I think we'll be in the same rack. I'll keep an eye out for you if I'm not too busy waterproofing my transition area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to fret Mike, you will see plenty of wild turkeys there soon !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much of an advantage would such weather give SL on the bike? I have never done this race. How much would a lot of rain affect the footing on the course. Is this going to turn into a pseudo cyclocross event? Who is the best mudder. It will make for a very interesting race.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Report [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great minds...

I just got back from the store... I bought the econo-size box of gallon-sized zipper bags so that I could at least start with dry clothes, dry shoes, and a dry seat. Unfortunately, I was once again reminded that "my feets too big" and I can just barely squeeze one shoe per bag. It's going to be good enough!

All I'm sure of right now is that the race _has to_ be more fun than the worrying about how hard, cold, and wet the race is going to be...

Hope to see you there,

Meg.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Report [Meg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like I am going to be right next to you on the rack with bib #2184. I'll look for the women with 4 baggies worth of shoes. :) /amy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Mike,

I am coming in very early Friday am. A Thursday afternoon conditions report would be most appreciated.

Thanx,

Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Report [Bruce Bornhurst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Report I got this AM: "Quite beautiful. Cloudy, cool, not hot. No rain yet."

Latest weather report sounds like the worst is to be Friday. Who knows.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Report [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of a sudden I'm not feeling so bad about having to stay in a hotel room in Paso Robles on Friday night intead of camping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am planning on arriving early Friday evening, so I am going to have to put up a tent in the rain. That is no fun at all. I think I might just sleep in the back of my Bronco.

Rain sucks.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Report [Bruce Bornhurst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well the sun just set a half hour ago. I've been without internet all day as my system crashed for a while. Not sure what I did to fix it, but I managed to late this afternoon. Today was a very nice day. Ran 6 miles on the run course. Didn't think the steep hill was all that bad. In fact the steep downhill that takes you down to the field by the front gate looks like it is going to hurt my knee more than the uphill. I know after 56 miles on the bike, that uphill will look a lot different. Took a swim in the lake also. I was prepared for very cold water but was pleasantly surprised. Didn't feel too bad at all. My guess is the water is about 67 degrees. Was sunny most of the day with some high clouds and the wind picked up just a tad later in the afternoon. Still hard to believe a big storm is on the way. I tried to do my expo shopping today, but all of the booths that I wanted to visit weren't set up yet and won't be till tomorrow (I assume when it is pouring rain). Forecast still calls for the rain to start late tonight and continue through tomorrow.

If anyone wants to stop in and say hi, please do, I'm in Redondo Vista, A loop, #8, Cruise America RV. CLM, got a Moosehead in the fridge with your name on it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck on Saturday Mike.

Gary
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just checked the weather report, it looks really nasty out there right now. Ugh, I'm supposed to drive there from LA in a couple hours, BUT I'm really reluctant given the crappy conditions. How are things looking this morning??

mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm out of here within the hour and will be sure to stop by for that Moosehead!

I'll be in Redondo Vista F-27 (I think). Look for the black Nissan Frontier truck with the IRNCLM plates and the pop-up tent on the back. I can also be found in the Golden Gate Tri Club tent down by the expo/TA.

Safe travels to all.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
right on cue, the rain started this morning at 6am :-(

it eased up for a short while, but has started again. Kind of cool out also, about 54 degrees. I think I'll stay inside by the heater most of the day.

Quote Reply