Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

U.S. Marines and UK "Black Watch" Troopers Preparing For Fallujah (Photos)
Quote | Reply
Got these in my emails. I think they're in worldwide distribution, so I don't know to whom I should attribute these :-)

Preparations ... a US marine camped outside Fallujah, expected to be the scene of Iraq's bloodiest battle yet, writes his "zap number" on his kit bag. The number contains information on his social security number and blood type, to help with identification in case the troops are injured.

At the ready ... troops bags are packed at Fallujah, where they await the order to launch an attack on the town. One report says 300 rebels have volunteered to act as suicide bombers in a ferocious counter-attack on any coalition assault.

Games ... to ease the tension, the troops have had to find new ways of entertaining themselves, staging games over the weekend.

There was some entertainment to help the troops kill time ...

... but also work to be done. Here Marines take a briefing from their on plans for the days ahead.

God help us ... Marines from the 1st Division gathered to pray yesterday afternoon near Fallujah. An order for the assault is expected over the coming days.

Meanwhile, civilians are leaving Fallujah. These men were headed for Baghdad yesterday, their ute loaded with household appliances. The US military warning any man under 45 entering or leaving Fallujah will now be detained; they are also advising women and children to leave.

[The declared state of emergency for the next 60 days]...comes after a recent spike in violence nationwide. Even yesterday the attacks on Iraqi police continued - this car was blown up in Baghdad while in Haditha, 21 officers were rounded up and shot in the head.

US Army surgeon Tommy Brown, working in the centre of Baghdad, makes a phone call to his wife. He says he has slept for three of the past 48 hours and is preparing for the fallout from the anticipated attack on Fallujah.

Held ... Iraqi TV showed these prisoners who are alleged foreign fighters, caught coming in to help the raging insurgency. At least one, a young Palestinian, confessed on television to a plan to help the rebel groups.

Danger zone ... Major Scott Taylor of the British Army's Black Watch force leads his brigade into position in accordance with the ancient traditions of the fighting unit. They have taken up "forward positions" in the Sunni triangle to free up US troops needed at Fallujah.

In place ... Maj Taylor, his bagpiping done, takes his position at the Jurf al-Sukhr bridge.

K
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Joe Wiley [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by SemperTri [ In reply to ]
Re: U.S. Marines and UK "Black Watch" Troopers Preparing For Fallujah (Photos) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks BK,

I saw some of these on a CNN gallery earlier this evening. Let's hope they get it done quickly, safely & Give 'em Hell.

Thanks for posting this.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Marines and UK "Black Watch" Troopers Preparing For Fallujah (Photos) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love each of those men like they where my own brother. They are doing America and England proud and I miss my life with them very much.

The networks would never show pictures like this because they show real men not the scared children they like to make us think are over there.

Anyone can say what they want about Bush and what is happening over there but you are about to see courage and a deadly discipline rarely seen anymore.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
God Bless every one of them. My girlfriend and I often have conversations about how it hits us at random times that we are doing whatever we are doing while you kids are there. Very sobering for us. We adopted a soldier from Soldiers Angels just to try to help a little bit.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Re: U.S. Marines and UK "Black Watch" Troopers Preparing For Fallujah (Photos) [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently, the battle's on. Some reports say that one Iraqi infantry battalion of 500 men took over 375 desertions in the days leading up to their push. That certainly doesn't speak well of our efforts to bring them onboard for this fight. Sighhhhhh......

The Beeb says that the Iraqi special ops guys that took the hospital were pretty good, though. They were trained up by the Marine SOC-rated battalions over there. "SOC" is shorthand for "Special Operations Capable". It's a badge of honor and a requirement for most infantry battalions that they achieve that rating in order to be fully-deployable.

Regardless, I'm with JoeW. and also hope that civilian casualties are kept to the bare minimum and that only the true bad guys are dealt with. In this instance, it'll mean that our forces (Marines, Army and coalition) will take heavier casualties in the "MOUT" theater to accomplish this. "MOUT" stands for "Military Operations in Urban Terrain". You might call it "house-to-house". It'll get ugly, but I think that most Marines and soldiers truly do try to avoid civilian losses, if they can.

K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bad feeling is that we'll see significant US military and Iraqi civilian casualties, despite our best intentions. I hope I'm wrong.

You may be right. MOUT is the single most-dreaded type of fighting for tanks and infantrymen to get into. The likelihood of significant casualties is exponentially higher when you battle in close quarters, and tanks and other armored vehicles are more vulnerable to attack.

Infantrymen and tanks try to work in tandem as a team, but it's hard. And in the heat of battle, the tendency is to shoot first and ask questions later when it comes to firing at a person or persons who may or may not be a combatant. Hopefully, the rules of engagement are clear, conscise and to the point.

K
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Marines and UK "Black Watch" Troopers Preparing For Fallujah (Photos) [Joe Wiley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right, it certainly wasn't that blatant. So, why did you bother to write that?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SemperTri [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to agree.

These are not my/our brothers in Fallujah, that blew up Scott Helvenston's car, paraded his dead, charred body through town, hung it from a bridge, and had a jubilant party of hundreds chanting "praise allah!".

These are cockroaches that need to die immediately. Fallujah has had plenty of warning and reports say most sane innocent people have left.

God save the innocent, but this is an infestation of cockroaches. It's time to make a statement.

It's time for these cockroaches to die.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Marines and UK "Black Watch" Troopers Preparing For Fallujah (Photos) [Joe Wiley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I had the feeling that was essentially what they were praying for. They are after all praying in advance of a major offensive where they are prepared to take the lives of hundreds if not thousands of their brothers and possibly sisters. (Are there many female "insurgents" in Iraq?) It's kind of like me saying "Dad, please help me kill my sister, she is such a bitch!" I do pray for the soldiers, their families, the iraqi civilians and even the "insurgents." I am a follower of Christ and have been quite moved by the meaning of "agape" love ever since I've heard of that word.

Personally, I admit to a great weakness in moments like this when I have to stop myself from wishing that we had invaded all their countries after 9/11, killed their leaders and forced the populace to convert to Christianity. Sorry, but I get in that mood sometimes. It's the old war dog in me.

K

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am a follower of Christ and have been quite moved by the meaning of "agape" love ever since I've heard of that word.
THe problem is if every "good guy" turned the other cheek all the time, there'd only be "bad guys" left.

Re: U.S. Marines and UK "Black Watch" Troopers Preparing For Fallujah (Photos) [SemperTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only you can answer for your self the question of what their prayers consisted of, but I would guess they are mixtures of small budding lights being devoured by darkness. My insight, if you'll lend me the pleasure of calling it such, is not amplifying anybody's vision here. As my goal is the opposite, I've chosen to remove my offensive posts, though their remnants remain in some of the other posts here. If they are truly offensive, I should ask you the courtesy of removing them from your posts as well, such to not offend others who might happen upon this thread. I'll go back in my shell for a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Only you can answer for your self the question of what their prayers consisted of, but I would guess they are mixtures of small budding lights being devoured by darkness. My insight, if you'll lend me the pleasure of calling it such, is not amplifying anybody's vision here. As my goal is the opposite, I've chosen to remove my offensive posts, though their remnants remain in some of the other posts here. If they are truly offensive, I should ask you the courtesy of removing them from your posts as well, such to not offend others who might happen upon this thread. I'll go back in my shell for a time.

Joe,

There was no need to delete your posts but the gesture was thoughtful. No need to go into any shell. Personally, I learn alot from everyone on this forum about alot of things to also include myself. I don't always agree I guess but I certaily learn a bit. Yes, that includes you too CE.
Quote Reply