Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bush to Seek Gay-Marriage Ban in Second Term
Quote | Reply
Thank G_d Bush is saving us from Indecent Society.

Quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush will renew a quest in his second term for a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage as essential to a ``hopeful and decent'' society, his top political aide said on Sunday.

Bush's call for a constitutional ban on gay marriages failed last year in Congress, but his position was seen as a key factor motivating Christian conservatives concerned about ``moral values'' to turn out in large numbers and help supply Bush with a winning margin in last week's election.

``If we want to have a hopeful and decent society, we ought to aim for the ideal, and the ideal is that marriage ought to be, and should be, a union of a man and a woman,'' Bush political aide Karl Rove told ``Fox News Sunday.''

Signing off from the republic of jesusland,

rb
Quote Reply
Re: Bush to Seek Gay-Marriage Ban in Second Term [rb5980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will never pass.

It will never pass.

You're right. This is a matter properly left up to the states. The only stumbling block will be what to do about the "full faith and credit" clause in the Constitution.

K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you the guy that keeps blowing by me on the bike screaming "ON YOUR LEFT, ON YOUR LEFT!". :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Bush to Seek Gay-Marriage Ban in Second Term [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't put it at good odds, but if Oregon passed a similar bill, I'd say all bets are off.

This is truly a good way to get all of us 'united'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He can do it. The idea of homosexual marriage scares the left and the right of the US. It goes way beyond political party and cut through race lines. Sadly it is what might be needed to bring some healing.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't understand why the USA is so homophobic. Seven out of ten Canadian provinces allow gay marriage. I'm a strait heterosexual Canuk and couldn't give a damn if two gays or lesbians want to call themselves married. In fact, I think they're making a mistake by wanting legality because now they'll be dragging in the lawyers for their divorces instead of just walking away.

How does gay marriage that effect my life in any way? How can you ignore 10% of the population?
Quote Reply
Re: Bush to Seek Gay-Marriage Ban in Second Term [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it ever end? Is everyone who disagrees with the left homophobic, bigoted, racist, blah, blah, blah?

If your side would lose the moral condescendtion and demonization, they might win more elections. Maybe they could even persuade a few people over time.
Quote Reply
Re: Bush to Seek Gay-Marriage Ban in Second Term [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If your side "

Actually, "my side" won our last election. I'm in Canada remember?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember you are Canadian, but you are a strong supporter of Democratic US candidates, are you not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Does it ever end? Is everyone who disagrees with the left homophobic, bigoted, racist, blah, blah, blah?

If your side would lose the moral condescendtion and demonization, they might win more elections. Maybe they could even persuade a few people over time.

Art;

You have to understand were he's coming from. In my home country its worked. The liberal elite in Upper Canada (i.e. Ontario ) have used this method to quit people like myself. The only place it hasn't worked yet is Alberta were they still have a few oz of testosterone left and you can see how he feels about them.

Hope your bike is alright.

Cheers!

Trevor
Quote Reply
Re: Bush to Seek Gay-Marriage Ban in Second Term [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, this approach used to work here too. After 40 years of pounding, eventually Conservatives learned to stop being defensive and to develop cogent arguments advancing their position in the marketplace of ideas. The birth of alternative media allowed them to broadcast those arguments.

The Liberals grew very lazy over that time, because they were never challenged by the media they controlled. having lost their monopoly, they are ill prepared to advance compelling ideas so they continue with the ridicule and condescendtion. This no longer works for them, but it is the only play in their play book.

Until they develop some new plays, they will continue to lose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seven out of ten Canadian provinces allow gay marriage.

And we all know that it's impossible for 7 out of 10 Canadian provinces to be wrong about anything, and if 7 out of 10 Canadian provinces come down a certain way on any issue, the rest of the world would be well served to follow suit, cause you Canadians have figured out the answers to all of life's big questions. You all are just so dang smart.

How can you ignore 10% of the population?

LOL! You aren't seriously saying 10% of the population is gay, are you?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Bush to Seek Gay-Marriage Ban in Second Term [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Alberta were they still have a few oz of testosterone left "

Yeah, Alberta - where the men are men and the cows are nervous

Alberta Jokes Top 10 Reasons To Live in Alberta, Canada1. Big Rock

2. Preston Manning

3. Tax is 7 percent instead of approximately 200 percent

4. The Premier is a fat, wife-beating alcoholic with a grade 4 education

5. Flames vs. Oilers

6. Stamps vs. Eskies

7. You can exploit almost any natural resource you can think of

8. Eventually, it will be your town's turn to ban VLT's

9. The Americans below you are all in anti-government militia groups

10. You can attempt to murder your rich oil tycoon husband and get away with it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-- If your side would lose the moral condescendtion and demonization, they might win more elections.

What does "your" side do? Besides try to condescendingly tell everyone how they can and can't live their lives?

Gay marriage is the best thing sinced sliced bread. It'll happen eventually. Don't worry, be happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Bush to Seek Gay-Marriage Ban in Second Term [TTTorso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may be right. Over time, the opinion of the electorate may change on this matter.

So just try to advocate your position using cogent arguments geared to changing minds rather than dishing out moral superiority and condescendtion. Pass on the racist, homophobe blather, and try cogent arguments. It could take 20 years, but it might just work.

I doubt I will support gay marriage, but if it becomes the will of the majority, so be it. I will accept it and move on. You should think about offering the other side the same respect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What does "your" side do? Besides try to condescendingly tell everyone how they can and can't live their lives?

They condescendingly tell everyone else how condescending they are.

They hate the left while complaining how we hate the right.
Quote Reply
Re: Bush to Seek Gay-Marriage Ban in Second Term [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if it is a constitutional amendment, it will be left up to the states. this is pitiful that i don't know this, but isn't it something like 60% of the states have to approve any amendments to the constitution? it'd become a national referendum...

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Bush to Seek Gay-Marriage Ban in Second Term [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do believe the 10% statistic is what is frequently quoted. I'm not sure how this stat is arrived at, but anecdotally (sp??), it seems about right.
Quote Reply
Re: Bush to Seek Gay-Marriage Ban in Second Term [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How can you ignore 10% of the population?

LOL! You aren't seriously saying 10% of the population is gay, are you?
Common guess is between 5 and 10%. Amongst those who finished school the same year as I did, I know 5% for sure - and that`s only those, who had their comming out before leaving school. BTW I went to school in a small village not one of the big cities.

Cheers Torsten
Last edited by: DragAttack: Nov 8, 04 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You may be right. Over time, the opinion of the electorate may change on this matter.

So just try to advocate your position using cogent arguments geared to changing minds rather than dishing out moral superiority and condescendtion. Pass on the racist, homophobe blather, and try cogent arguments. It could take 20 years, but it might just work.

I doubt I will support gay marriage, but if it becomes the will of the majority, so be it. I will accept it and move on. You should think about offering the other side the same respect.
But to make a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage doesn`t mean to except the majorities will against same-sex marriage. It means to codify it for the future. Thus it means to domineer over the voters of tomorrow.

Cheers Torsten
Last edited by: DragAttack: Nov 8, 04 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: Bush to Seek Gay-Marriage Ban in Second Term [DragAttack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I agree with that. I don't like the amendments. They are just the only defense the voters have against judges like those in MA that decide to overturn the will of the people and make up rights as they go along.

Sadly, amendments are crude tools.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-- So just try to advocate your position using cogent arguments geared to changing minds rather than dishing out moral superiority and condescendtion. Pass on the racist, homophobe blather, and try cogent arguments. It could take 20 years, but it might just work.

Most of these moral issues are hard to make coherent arguments for or against. You either believe in it or you don't. Not a lot of room to maneuver in there. I think you'd need a life changing event to make you change your mind, and I doubt its going to come from some geek on a forum like myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disagree. There are reasoned arguments on both sides. One person on this forum, it might have been you, said gay marriage would be sanctioned eventually. He might be right. It will only be done by changing hearts and minds.
Quote Reply