Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What would you wear in a cold, rainy half IM?
Quote | Reply
Since it looks like that's what we're in for at WF. If it's raining, I'm assuming it will be in the 50's on the bike. I'm packing now and I'm not really sure what I would race in under those circumstances. I tend to get cold much easier than most, especially my feet and hands. It is common for my hands or feet to actually be numb when others are just a little on the cold side. I figure just about anything worn would wind up waterlogged. The only waterproof gear I have is a jacket. Would you guys wear a jacket in order to stay dry and warm? I don't really relish the idea of riding in waterlogged clothing for 2 1/2 hours. I guess It might look a little funny riding an aero frame, disk wheel & tri-spoke wearing a virtual parachute up top.

What have you guys seen done in cold, rainy races? What are your plans? I'm mostly concerned with the bike.

He wasn't going to be in my top 3 picks, but given the possible weather conditions maybe I should pick Simon Lessing. I'm sure he's used to that.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you wear in a cold, rainy half IM? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaylew,
if I could do the WF long course bike leg in 2 1/2 hours, I wouldn't be too concerned with clothing. :)

I'll be wearing wet arm warmers "on top" (!) of my skinsuit. If it's really too cold, I'll have a PI midweight kodiak long sleeved jersey on top of everything. I don't want to wear a waterproof thing as I'm afraid I'll steam too heavily.

Don't forget neoprene toe warmers and gloves.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend the neoprene toe-booties, they are a god send. If your hands get cold easy, get a pair of full fingered gloves. Also, I will be wearing a sleeveless jacket with the ventilated back to prevent steaming up. Those are nice, def keep you a lot drier than without. Remember to wear layers that wick water away from your body. Hope that helps, and no its not going to rain on Saturday at WF - E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I prefer to be inside during those, but if I have to watch one I'd have rain jacket, maybe rain pants, warm gloves, a hat (I don't like umbrellas), a thermos of hot chocolate...

oh wait! you're RIDING in a cold rainy half IM, not WATCHING it...

never mind!<smile>
Quote Reply
Down parka, umbrella, and a camera [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rain I don't mind so much. Cold I don't mind so much. But the two in combination is enough to drive to the sidelines.

Call me a wimp if that's what it makes me. I like it warm and dry, the hotter the better. Mid 80's is about perfect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jaylew,

I'm struggling with the same dilemma right now. I think I'm going to end up having several options laid out at T1. I'll be wearing a skinsuit, and then at T1 I'll decide (depending on how cold and rainy it is when I get out of the water) whether I go with arm and leg warmers, a long sleeve jersey over the skinsuit, my PI waterproof jacket, or some combination of these. I think that an extra minute getting dressed in T1 will definitely be worth way more time than that on the course if I'm warm.

Caveat- this will be my first time racing in these conditions so my strategy is unproven.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a Mavs fan, I recommend that you wear Speedo-only. But seriously, what age-group are you in? If you are in Mens 30-34, just stay in your wesuit; warm and it saves on time in T1.

Okay, enough yucks. Zephyr vest, toe warmers, arm warmers. All easy to put on (the toe warmers should already be on your shoes) and easy to take off and put away if you get warm. Have a good race.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you wear in a cold, rainy half IM? [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar race not too long ago where it was about 50 and raining, it was a duathlon so we warmed up with the run. I wore toe warmers, long sleeve shirt, wind vest, gloves and helmet liner. Everything gets soaked but at least the vest keeps the wind out of your chest even when wet. By the end of the 25 miles my hands and feet were numb. So I expect it to be pretty cold on the fast section on Jolon Rd but Nasty hill should warm us up. Not looking forward to going down on those steep downhills in the rain!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of us doing Gulf Coast in a week, the debate is if the temps will go over 100 again like last year, and if so, should you pack your own IV bottle for the run.

grass is always greener. Good luck to all WF racers.
Quote Reply
Nice warm blankets (nm) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nm

"My strategy is to start out slow and then peter-out altogether" Walt Stack
Quote Reply
Re: Nice warm blankets (nm) [C2KRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A t-shirt, boxer shorts, two cats, clean sheets and a down comforter. I'd stay in bed. There are plenty of races on nice days. My days of suffereing like that are (gladly) behind me. Well, in tirathlons at least. An adventure race? Yup, just say where and when.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
And I thought I was the only one! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been chiding myself a bit for forgoing the "suffering" routine lately, so I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. But, if the question had been what to wear for a rainy summer tri in Georgia, I would say "nothing! And be glad it's raining because it's better than sweating!"

"My strategy is to start out slow and then peter-out altogether" Walt Stack
Quote Reply
Re: Nice warm blankets (nm) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A t-shirt, boxer shorts, two cats, clean sheets and a down comforter. I'd stay in bed. There are plenty of races on nice days. My days of suffereing like that are (gladly) behind me. Well, in tirathlons at least. An adventure race? Yup, just say where and when.

so Tom, if it is a bit chilly and there is a chance for rain at Ironman Wisconsin (or was it Idaho?), you're going to stay in bed?

Wildflower isn't just another local race, and as much as I would love to stay in bed on race day with those conditions (I would if it were a little local race), that really isn't an option for this race.

For me, Desoto Skinsuit, arm warmers, and probably toe covers. Maybe even a thin pair of gloves also. Cold hands on the downhills would not be healthy.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply