Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle Butter??
Quote | Reply
Okay ladies, I hate to give TMI, but I need your advice

I have been having some issues "down there" from riding - like a little cut. I have tried different shorts - all high end with great chamois - so I don't think that is the issue. It may be the saddle... Terry Btterfly....However I was wondering if many women use saddle butter and if it helps with long ride issues "down there"???
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Butter?? [slowy-gonzales] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For long rides, I don't leave home without it.

I also prefer a chamois creme that has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal properties for the very circumstance you describe.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a lady, so I can't speak to ... well .... yeah ... but I love the stuff (chamois creme, that is). The two best I've used .... DZ Nutz and Assos. With a slight nod to DZ. Assos is a little to tingly, but still awesome. Even the cheap-o stuff from Performance works well. I don't think any of it is gender specific.

I don't ride without something down there anymore. I was a skeptic, but now I'm a true believer.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been having (and whining about) saddle issues for awhile now. Got the Terry Butterfly Tri Gel last year in Sept/Oct and rode Silverman on it. Didn't really think I was having any issues (was better than the previous alternative - which was causing MAJOR issues) until this year - have been having MAJOR issues just like you describe. A "cut" (which is actually a result of chafing and basically a popped blister-type open wound in the "crease" yes?) as well as some "infected something or other" that's discussed on other threads. Yeah, I'm a mess. Have also tried high-end shorts with nice chamois, tri shorts with no chamois, etc. I've been around the blocks here, is my point.

I don't ride - period - without some kind of cream on the region. I have the good ol' Chamois Butt'r, and am a HUGE fan of Assos. I love the Assos when it's warm and hot outside (or on trainer) - the little bit of tingle seems to keep me a bit cooler, and love the Chamois Butt'r for any/all types of rides. Go get some, it'll help you immensely.

It may not be your saddle or your shorts, it may be bike position (I think that's what my real problem is), but if the problem doesn't seem too bad, start with some cream and see if that solves. Good luck! I feel your pain!

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Butter?? [jcurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutz and Assos

Sounds like a late night cartoon on the Comedy Channel

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually use some medical tape on the two areas that get the most abuse. Keeps the skin from splitting - it sounds like you and I have similar issues. It seems to work - so far.

Good luck!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was 25 miles into my Century ride today when I was nearly in tears from all the pain. I picked up some chapstick at the gas station. Worked like a charm! Generally I use Body Glide and it seems to work. I usually apply it to my shorts and not to my body. From now on, I will be applying it to my body.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Butter?? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I actually use some medical tape on the two areas that get the most abuse. Keeps the skin from splitting - it sounds like you and I have similar issues. It seems to work - so far.

Good luck!

AP
Have you done this for 100+ rides?

Does it stay on with all the lubricant/sweat?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Butter?? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longest ride I did it for was 145km. Seemed fine, but I used the really tough stuff (leukotape) that can take days to come off, oh and a good wax helps...

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wifey had same issues for years, switched to ISM Adamo saddle and issue free. And never uses any type of chamois butter anymore. Previous to the Adamo she was using an Alliante saddle and found that compression shorts (Sugoi) without pad worked best.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Butter?? Wicked chaffing...? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK. I have read this thread and thought...oh I don't get saddle sores instead I got the most wicked chaffing from my bike shorts at a century ride last weekend. Does saddle butter work for chaffing? Would you use it on race day? How does this stuff compare to Body Glide?

KK
Meow
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Butter?? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the tip Andy...I'm already aware of the importance of hairless skin for long-riding comfort.

I have 90, 80, and a 60 mile rides this week and will definitely give your advice a try. My sore spot is predominately on the left side, regardless of saddles used.

Now I just have to find Leukotape.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Butter?? [barelysub4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm riding the Adamo saddle now and have the same saddle sore described by many posters (swollen lymph gland???) My sore is in the crease where the leg meets the pelvis...

The Adamo has relieved pressure on my labia/clitoris that I found intolerable for long rides, but the new pressure points took months for me to get used to.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. My thought would be if the saddle was fit/set-up correctly. They are supposed to be tough to get set correctly. Fortunately for us, I followed the directions with the saddle and it fit great right off. It took her one trainer ride to get used to the pressure on her sit bones but that was it. She has consistently ridden 4-5 days straight with no issues. In past years after 2 days of riding her parts needed to recover. Not anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check at a medical supply store. BE VERY CAREFUL, this stuff is tough, if you try to rip it off you will take skin off. I usually do a hot epsom salt soak post ride and that helps loosen the tape up.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Butter?? Wicked chaffing...? [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience is that before I get saddle sores, I am chafed and I try to correct the problem.

All of the lubricating creams are designed for what you are doing. At the very least, all you have wasted is the money for one tube, and you can use it on your hands if it doesn't help in the saddle.

As for keeping it in place when you swim, I still struggle with that. For IM length racing, I now take an extra 5 seconds to apply lubricant inside the transition tent. I haven't had much luck with it staying in place after an hour+ swim otherwise.

IMO, saddle butters work better than Body Glide for that part of the body, and I prefer a formula that includes anti-bacterial/anti-fungal ingredients, like Sportslick. Otherwise, I add Neosporin to whatever I have on hand.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Butter?? Wicked chaffing...? [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in my admittedly limited experience, a small handful of chamois butt'r gets places you simply can't apply body glide. i was still having massive problems while trying to use BG, but chamois butt'r (or insert your favourite cream here) has eliminated everything that isn't a direct result of having the wrong saddle for me.

don't try to be sparing or precise with it - squirt a big glob on your hand, apply generously, and wipe your fingers off on your chamois. if your nethers feel squishy when you walk, you should be good to go.

cheers!

-mistress k