Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

riding in the rain
Quote | Reply
Looks like there might be rain at Wildflower. I am totally inexperienced in riding in the rain. So besides getting wet, what should i look out for, turns, speed ????I am serious I just don't know what to expect.

I also ride a zip tubie up front. I have heard that they do not stop as well when the rims are wet, I use kool block brakes. Should I just use my training wheels?

ha ha- get it-training wheels!!!

The run I have down pat, I ran the catalina marathon in march, 26 miles of mud and fun

Thanks for any help
Quote Reply
Re: riding in the rain [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stay off the lane lines, they're really slippery. Give yourself a lot more stopping distance, like double. Don't be to aggressive on corners. Other than that, I think riding in the rain is a blast. It really sucks during a group ride when you're right off another guy's wheel as you end up eating a few pounds of road grit, but that shouldn't be the case in Triathlon. Well, unless of course you're a cheating $%@*!!

Oh yea, eyewear can be a total pain of what you wear is prone to fogging. For me, the worst part about riding in the rain is the vision problems it can cause.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode the long course in the rain and wind two weeks ago. take it easy on the turns and you will be fine for most of the course. Watch your speed decending from the top of nasty grade slippery when wet applies [it's easy to hit over 50mph on the section when dry] so contol your speed urges here and on the last hill back down to the lake.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using tubulars in the rain will provide some additional traction over clinchers, so stick to your tubulars. Be sure your brake pads are fresh and not glazed over. Switch to a heavier chain lube such as White Lightening, which I normally despise, but is good in wet conditions. Corner with caution but remember the biggest hazard on the course are other racers. Remember, everyone has to race in the same conditions, so it doesn't "slow you down" anymore than the next guy. It will be a great story to tell! Good luck, have a great race.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: riding in the rain [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, what about ZIP stopping power when the graphite braking surfaces are are wet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can fit it under your helmet, a cycling cap shields your eyes if it's really coming down. watch out for man hole covers and if it's the first rain in a while, the streets get a nice oil sheen which is very slick
Quote Reply
Re: riding in the rain [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of eyewear related vision problems, has anyone tried Rain-X on glasses?
Quote Reply