Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ouch - chlorine & skin r/o
Quote | Reply

Ladies - I have super sensitive skin, and lately the chlorine is really getting to me. While I'm swimming, my face burns & stings. Then afterwards, it keeps burning and stinging while I put on any lotion or sunscreen. But it's also super dry & sensitive to the sun, so I can't skip that stuff.

And now I have some kind of painful red rash across my cheeks from swimming :(

Any suggestions? Changing pools to a saltwater pool or doing exclusively open water isn't really an option where I live.

Thx!
Last edited by: Elsa: Jul 1, 09 15:44
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch - chlorine & skin r/o [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiehls makes a product specifically more for running/riding in winter weather due to the wind burn effect. I have used this product on my face in the pool due to the same concerns/probs you are having. "All sport non-freeze" is the name. It has a 30spf which you probably won't need if you are swimming indoors, but that shouldn't matter. If all else fails check with your dermatologist, and hopefully he/she won't tell you to stay out of the pool.

Good luck,
N~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a while I was using a face wash with peroxide in it- that plus chlorine plus lots of sweat used to make my face burn like crazy.
Do you use any aggressive face washes? I'm pretty sure the peroxide face wash had a "limit sun exposure when using this product" or a similar warning on it- meaning it basically rips your face down layer by layer and bleaches it... all for the sake of acne-freedom. if you've got anything like that in your shower arsenal, i say ditch it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you wash your face immediatly after swimming? When I was swimming everyday outdoors in the middle of the day, I started having similar skin problems. Washing my face with a very gentle clenser as soon as I got out of the pool REALLY helped - my favorite is Origins' Checks and Balences. Afterwards I used Aveeno's Positively Radient with SPF 15 facial moistureizer. If my face was really hurting, I would sometimes mix in a little Gold Bond Ulimate 'Calming' lotion (the red one, contains camommile or something). Aveeno also has a 'calming' line of clensers and lotions with SPF that I have not tried.

My skin is not a fan of extreme sunlight, chlorine, or dry cold ...I've tried just about everything brand-wise, and am now a die-hard fan of anything Origins, Aveeno, or Gold Bond (the lotions, not the weird powder products).

Good luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about during your swim, but Kiehl's all sport swimmer's rinse work's like magic to completely neutralize chlorine afterward.

http://www.kiehls.com/...or-hair-and-body.htm

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are two types (that I know of) of chemicals most commonly used to balance the pH levels in a swimming pool. Chlorine is one of them. My local indoor swimming pool uses a type (or amount) that brutally dries my son's skin to the point where he has to use cordizone to heal the skin. He may have minor scars for many years from the itching/scratching. Consequently, he doesn't swim in that pool anymore. However, in other pools, specially outdoor swimming pools, he has no problems. In the pool he has problems with, he can take two showers, use chlorine cleaning soap/shampoo, lather on the lotion, etc. and it still dries his skin.

I'm only suggesting that you may want to try another pool. Find out the chemicals they are using in the one you have problems with and try to stay away from pools that use those chemicals in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have sworn by one thing and one thing only over the last 10 years or so. Cortizone 10 Plus (the plus is moisturizer) not only keeps the reddness, itchiness, and dryness at bay but is relatively inexpensive and one tube will last you forever.
Quote Reply