Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maternity Workout Clothes
Quote | Reply
I'm pregnant and my swimsuits and running/biking clothes are starting to get tight. Can anyone recommend a store or website where I can get some cool workout clothes that will fit my pregnant bod? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Workout Clothes [LuvCheesecake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! I wish I could recommend something great to you but I haven't even found a decent swimming suit to wear. It's getting a bit tight with my old racing suit now I'm 6 months pregnant, something is going to pop out--butt, boobs, or stomach, something will give! I just bought a ridiculous looking size XL swim suit from Target in the regular section but I think I'm taking it back for a 2 piece. Hiding the stomach is probably not going to work anyway. The maternity suits are an absolute joke, with ruffles and skirts and crap. I mean please!

I have been wearing my husband's running shorts and XL shirts for comfort. You can get a maternity/nursing jog bra at motherhood.com

Best of luck to you and please let me know if you find maternity swimwear you can actually swim in.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a search for 'maternity' on slowtwitch, some good ideas have been posted in the past.

Here is a link to the most 'swimmable' maternity swimsuit I found while preggo: http://www.swimtowin.com/...&category_id=127
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pregnant (29 weeks) and am having the same issues and have found a few things. For swimsuits, I'm actually doing fine with just a bigger TYR for workouts. For running, my shorts still fit and are comfortable as I wear them fairly low. However, I also wear a lot of running skirts and find them to be really comfortable right now, even more so than the shorts. The running skirts that I think are the best and most comfortable are www.runningskirts.com . Another website is www.fitmaternity.com , but their stuff tends to be more yoga and walking type stuff. Hands down my favorite workout top is the Born Fit Maternity Lindsey top. www.bornfit.com They have a selection of tops and they are super comfortable and the shirt is long enough, yet cute for a pregnant lady so you don't look like you are just wearing a tent. I also have the BornFit Torrey Full Zip and it is awesome! I have the BornFit Evans capri and really like those for a cooler day walking around and just kicking around. I also got the Born Fit cycling shorts http://0201004.netsolstores.com/lucillebikeshort-1.aspx and they are comfortable, but just a bit of warning they have a decent size pad. I am really happy with the BornFit stuff that I've purchased and they have been really good with returns because I originally wasn't sure what size would work, so I ordered one size and it didn't work so I sent it right back and they shipped me the other size right away. Good luck and congrats!!! I haven't been able to find any cycling jerseys though and just have resorted to wearing largers ones which is not all that flattering. Let me know if you find any!
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Workout Clothes [tri2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great recommendation of BornFit Maternity Wear. We also like to share that we have a great line of non-maternity wear . Thanks Tri2Tri for spreading the word. We really appreciate it!
The Ladies at BornFit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Workout Clothes [bornfit1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And just to all the other posters, I have no affiliation with Born Fit, I'm just a happy customer! I'm always happy to spread the word on good products, especially when they are backed by good customer service!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the clarification. Just a thank you for sharing :)
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Workout Clothes [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the suggestions! I borrowed some bike jerseys from a guy friend, so those will do, but I need some bike shorts and other stuff so I will check out the BornFit site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is pregnant and now looking for larger cycling shorts- that fit her 26 week old beautiful belly! I don't know how long you are riding now, but do you think the bornfit shorts are comfortable for 3 hour rides? Did you order your normal pre-pregnancy size?

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Workout Clothes [mlinenb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, congratulations to you and your wife! Since I've been pregnant, I haven't done any 3 hour rides. I think the longest I've gone was 2 hours. I'm 35 weeks now, so I'm actually not riding outdoors anymore and just doing spin class. The shorts still fit me at 35 weeks. I don't know what your wife looks for in a cycling short, but this short has a pretty good pad in it. Pre-pregnancy I generally always rode in tri shorts, even for longer rides, but once getting pregnant and getting a little bit further along the extra padding was more comfortable. I did order my pre-pregnancy size and it was just fine and I had plenty of room to grow. I would say she definitely doesn't need to size up. However, if she gets them and the shorts don't fit quite right, I do know that they are great on exchanges and returns. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 24 weeks and still doing long rides. I have the Born Fit shorts, but find the padding to be a little too thick. Also, I ordered up a size and they're a little too big, but I think they'll be ideal in another month or two.
I bought these shorts at REI http://www.rei.com/product/778706 in one size up from my normal size (I loved these shorts before I got pregnant). They work well because the low waistband in the front is below my belly instead of pushing on it, and the fact that there really isn't much elastic in the waist - they're my favorite riding shorts at this point in my pregnancy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info and cool to see that you are spinning at 35 weeks. Is your cycling position now pretty much upright? And thanks TD for your comments, too. My wife has ridden about 20k miles since she took up cycling about 3.5 years ago- and has cut back intensity and distance- but still is riding up to 50 miles at a time (including this past weekend) at week 25. At week 18- she did do a bike tour that covered 310 miles in 6 days. Her Doctors encouraged her to ride (as long as she was riding before- but just back off the intensity, hydrate exceptionally well, etc. She has other friends that rode outdoors up to 7.5 months. Her shorts are mainly castelli or pearl izumi cycling shorts (not tri shorts)- and for the last month- my men's mediums- and those have thicker type pads. Hopefully these will work out- and thanks for the info about returns- as we're not sure if we ordered the right size. I've also raised up her stem position/put on a different stem- nearly 3 inches so far- so her handlebars are now higher than her saddle- and she can ride more upright and more comfortable.
Last edited by: mlinenb: Aug 3, 09 14:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome that your wife is still riding and going the distance too! I stopped riding my road bike and just rode my cyclocross bike when I got pregnant. I rode my cyclocross bike, up to 2 hours, until I was about 25 or so weeks and then I just started getting uncomfortable in that position. I then switched to my mountain bike with a more upright raised position and rode that until 8 months. At that point, my husband and I were just nervous about balance issues and me potentially falling at injuring myself and the baby. We both decided it probably wasn't worth the risk at that point, but I know women who have felt comfortable enough to ride up until the end. Right now, my position with spinning it pretty much upright. As I've gotten further and further along I just raise the handlebars on the spin bike higher and higher and bring them closer to me. I now can't do most of the out of the saddle work as obviously the core just isn't there to back me up and help stablize my position, so when they do out of saddle work in class I just kind of do my own thing and the instructor is totally cool with that. Riding/spinning is definitely good because even as you gain the weight, you don't feel the weight on your joints while riding (or at least I don't). I do find, and I'm sure your wife does as well, that I go through a lot more water during a workout than I used to. Not sure if she has read the book, but a great book is Exercising Through Your Pregnancy by Dr. James Clapp. I have found that this book was really helpful, especially when people who don't know any better start to tell you how awful it is that you're running while pregnant or workout out 6 days a week while pregnant or whatever nonsense people feel the need to tell pregnant women! Tell your wife I think its awesome that's she's working out and staying fit! I'm still running and swimming and spinning and I honestly feel better on the days I workout than on the days I don't. Best of luck to you both!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for the feedback. ST is great. Yes- we ordered the Clapp book as soon as we found out she was pregnant :) We totally agree with what you are saying- and Clapp backs up how you ARE able to exercise quite a bit- with extensive research reviews- if you are healthy and were exercising before. The wife also rented a doppler for the past 4 months- so she could hear (and see a digital number read out) of the baby's Heart Rate after workouts and at rest- just to make sure the little guy's heartrate seemed to be responding appropriately. Now she feels the kicks very regularly- so we are sending back the doppler.

edit- my wife laughed when she said you don't feel the weight while riding... we are in a hilly area and she jokes with me- as we are climbing some hills- why don't you put a 20 pound sack of flour on YOUR stomach !
Last edited by: mlinenb: Aug 4, 09 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I should have edited that to read while spinning in class on a stationary bike! As soon as I started showing and my stomach muscles started separating to make room for the baby (don't quite remember what week this was now), I remember one distinct ride where I was struggling big time to get up a hill that I normally would just spin right up without thinking. Hill work, yeah you definitely feel that added weight and you realize you don't have a core there to back you up and help you through it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is probably a little late, but I ordered the Terry maternity cycling jersey, and it's been great. I believe Terry now advertises it as a "relaxed fit jersey that also works for pregnancy...". There were also some advertised on teamestrogen.com, though I got mine at fitmaternity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops, I should have finished reading all the posts before the first reply. I bought the maternity cycling shorts from fitmaternity. I've always preferred riding with a thinner tri short, but wasn't too picky when finding a maternity short. I ordered a large instead of medium, but ahem, have since put on a few more pounds than planned. So, ended up in the right size for the wrong reason. Was more concerned with something that would cover the belly and help me ride as long as possible. They are still working really well at 32 weeks. I'm only riding 2hrs max, or 40-50km, but live in a hilly area. As soon as I hit the smallest incline, it's game over!

What I wouldn't give to have a compact crank or triple right now, the double with 11-23 cassette is none too forgiving on hills...
Quote Reply