Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

i am brilliant!!!
Quote | Reply
i have an idea and it is just crazy enough to work. instead of crying about beginners. help them out. go to that pit of dogs known as team in training and show those less than worthy "people" some basic skills for race day. put on a one hour class on rules and protocol and lead a few group rides and show the awful newbies what to do when the course gets crowed. i have this nutso idea that tnt would love your help.

just a thought.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: i am brilliant!!! [ultra-poser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Careful ultra-poser.... you're going to rile up the masses here! Why on earth would anyone ever want to help out a newbie? After all, judging from some responses on the board, some of our fellow members were born triathletes and fast too. Walk among the common MOP/BOPs? What are you?....Looney? Wink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree 100% with returning something to the sport and helping people who are new to it. I always learn something myself in the process- there is always more to learn. Ultimately, we all remain beginners. We teach transition classes here at the store and flat fixing classes also, empowering people to be able to ride on their own without having to worry about being stranded by a flat. Giving back and bringing people into the sport is not only good business sense. It's good Karma.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've actually found triathlon to be an incredibly newbie friendly/helpful sport. Tri-geeks want to help out the newbie while roadies want to drop the newbies. Newbie tri-geeks get respect from other tri-geeks just for being there whereas newbie roadies don't get any respect until they can run with the front group.

I'll never forget my first tri. My wife and I sat down after the race beside a guy at the tent for lunch/awards. We started talking to this guy. When he heard it was our first tri he was really friendly, genuinely concerned and answered all our dumb newbie questions in a very helpful way. We didn't realize that he was an elite until they called his name for the awards and he had won the event 1st over all. He had been talking to us and hadn't showed the slightest bit of ego. It was from that moment that we realized how nice most tri people are.
Quote Reply
Re: i am brilliant!!! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find that this is a good site but for newbie type questions, Trinewbies.com is even better. It is their focus and their articles are aimed towards that audience while I feel that the ST articles are more aimed at an audience that has a better understanding of the basics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our tri club here in Northwest Florida puts on a training program every summer that is geared for newbies. In addition to workouts, every session has tech and race tips. A lot of more experienced triathletes are there to help out and answer questions. Before I did my first race, I attended this program. The club also conducts a kids tri camp every summer and this year is planning group training sessions for more advanced athletes. There is also a triathlon put on every year at one of our local military bases specifically for first timers, which I did, called "My First Tri." I guess I was lucky to break into the sport in this area, because by the time I did my first real competitive race, I felt pretty experienced.

I realize you can't make every one go through a training program before they get out there, so I always remember--no one is responsible for my safety but me. When things look dicey, I slow down until the situation improves. No cheap ribbon or trophy is worth dying or going to the hospital for.
Quote Reply