Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by daisy
Re: Weight loss success stories for book [daisy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure if this is what you're looking for, but..

1. Your name (optional) and age

K Jacobson - 29 (30 next month)

2. Current and maximum weight.

current - about 140. max - 163 in mar/08. low - 135 in feb/09 before i started gaining some muscle.

3. Did you start doing tri's to help you lose weight?

sort of. i had already lost a bunch of weight, then started thinking about tris to keep me motivated to continue exercising (wasn't losing motivation, but thought i might someday). starting to swim regularly in jan/09 helped take off some holiday pounds, so i suppose tri training did help me lose some of the weight.

4. Did you use a commercial program or particular book-what was your method?

neither of the above. i started making healthier food choices and working out in my livingroom with aerobics, kickboxing, yoga, pilates and tae bo videos. added circuit training, then running, then swimming, then weight lifting. dropped circuit training and most weight lifting for cycling. kept slowly making changes to nutritional intake, and probably eat about 80-90% "clean" now (more fruit/veg/fibre/protein, less saturated fats & processed foods), but still have treats.

5. What tools helped you-recording intake? group support? environmental control? mental strategies?

recording intake, some environmental control (not keeping crap food in the house), determination that i won't end up like my obese parents.

6. What is your current bodyfat? Goal bodyfat?

by best estimate (navy method measuring), about 16.75%. would like to get to 16.0%.

7. Do you try to get leaner before important races? How do you go about it?

i try to reduce treat intake before a race, but that's all.

8. What inspired you to lose weight?

seeing folds of fat on my back in photographs of new tattoos i had done in mar/08

9. Do tri's help keep you motivated?

absolutely. eating a healthy, balanced diet is necessary to be able to train and recover well, and training is necessary to increase racing performance, so upcoming races serve as motivation to skip the cupcake and go for a run!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I am gathering success stories for an upcoming book. If you have used triathlon as a vehicle for weight loss, post, send me a message or email me if you are interested in sharing your insight. Here are the questions I have, please elaborate!

[url=http://trainwithmeonline.com/...t_loss_workouts.html]weight loss program[/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 1. Your name (optional) and age.

2. Current and maximum weight.
113, 223

3. Did you start doing tri's to help you lose weight?
No. I started doing them because they looked like fun and I wanted a goal to motivate me to workout. I started working out to help with my weight loss, but that's not why I do it now. I knew, from past experience, that having weight loss as my goal for working out would not work in the long run.

4. Did you use a commercial program or particular book-what was your method?
I joined a Tri club and read a lot on the internet. I did read "Slow, Fat, Triathlete" and it was very motivating.

5. What tools helped you-recording intake? group support? environmental control? mental strategies?
I write down EVERYTHING that I put in my mouth and track all my exercise. I use online food journals for the food and Excel spreadsheet for the exercise. I also belong to several weight loss surgery support web sites and go to my bariatric program's monthly support groups regularly. I do try not to keep trigger foods in the house, but I don't think that's a big part of my success in dieting. My main "mental strategy" is to try to have a good relationship with food so that I'm eating for fuel primarily and not for emotional reasons and that I'm making good choices.

6. What is your current bodyfat? Goal bodyfat?
17%, Goal? I don't know... 17%? :) Anywhere from 12 to 15% based on how I look when I get there.

7. Do you try to get leaner before important races? How do you go about it?
No, right now I'm trying not to lose any more weight.

8. What inspired you to lose weight?
I was losing my mobility. I had figure skated for over a decade and then I just couldn't do it any more and stopped. Between that and being put on medicine for High BP, it was a wake-up call. I would see the 300+ pound ladies in the grocery store on their scooters and knew that was in my future, if I didn't start moving again.

9. Do tri's help keep you motivated?
Motivated to do what? More tris, workout, lose weight? I do tris because I love them. Preparing for races motivates me to workout because it gives me deadlines.

But I don't exercise to lose weight, even if that was a large part of my motivation at the start. I exercise to make life more worthwhile.

It certain helps with the weight. I can eat as much as I used to when I was 200 lb. and be a size 0. But that's not the purpose. The purpose is to have fun and be healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey girl!

This is SUCH AN inspiring thing to do for your book!!
I have met an amazing woman i want to nominate for you (is this possible? I'm volunteering my friend!). Her name is Bobbie S. and she's lost over 100 lbs and is now in her second full year of triathlon. She is a member liaison for GOTRIbal -- i don't want to give you her email here, but i can reference her on that site... www.gotribalnow.com Look for her under "Members".
She's AMAZING and inspires so many women....i've just been amazed by her.
always a smile on that woman's face.

Onward!
Tanya
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss success stories for book [insandiego] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply. I will look this gal up. My book deadline has come and gone so I will have to keep her in mind for the next one. I will be pulling my post tomorrow.

Ironman Series Books: "Ironplanner" "Weight Management For Triathletes""Fearless Swimming For Triathletes""Functional Strength For Triathletes"
Quote Reply