Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

threading a threadless fork
Quote | Reply
wondering about the possibility of threading a 1" steer tube fork. has anyone ever done this or know someone who does it? i ride a threaded set-up with a 1 piece aerobar and am set up very comfortable (in fact, i fall pretty much exactly in line with the guidelines dan empfield has laid out so far in his fit article series) so i don't really want (or need) to start changing out my headset, stem, bars, etc. at this time. but i was wondering about the fork (and most of the ones i find are threadless only).

i have a profile BRC fork on my bike right now, but have been looking at some deep bladed, straight leg forks (specifically, the QR NarrowAero and the Profile BDC). would i see much benefit from switching out my BRC for one of these?

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: threading a threadless fork [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think a good machine shop should be able to do this for you. It should likely just be a matter of putting a big tap with the right screw thread. I'll ask my brother next time I see him (he owns a machine shop).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good machine shop can do it. A member of our local club recently bought a new fork, and he got it with the wrong length steerer tube. (The threads don't make it to the right place; sorry I'm no mechanic.) Instead of sending it back and getting a new fork (he got a deal on the one he bought, and that was the only size the dealer had), he just took it to a local shop and they said they could do it very easily. Cost him $30. He had to buy the die and the shop did the labor for free (they must have wanted that die!).

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good bike shop which has frame tools can thread a fork. It is not that big of a deal to thread a fork, and many of the higher end bike shops have threaded many forks, if nothing else, to chase the threads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the tube needs to be steel if you plan on cutting threads!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Re: threading a threadless fork [not a PCer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, on this topic i agree with mr NOT !! nice. on this common ground note, i must follow bunnyman to the door - got lots of other stuff to do. have fun, s-twitch forumsters - see you at the races maybe. out.
Quote Reply
Re: threading a threadless fork [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure the inside diameter is the same as a threaded fork(slid a stem in it),the ones i have checked are,you can do this,i have done this,a good bike shop should have the die and the die holder,make sure the die holder has a pilot that aligns the die so you get straight threadsI am a machinist who has built frames so i might know a little on this,
Quote Reply