Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

QR Carbonaero vs Ouzo Pro
Quote | Reply
I have the 650c QR (Merlin) Aero with the QR Carbonaero (Kinesis) fork since Oct 2000. This weekend a fellow rider commented on how nice, light etc my bike is with all my customized changes but asked me why I don't ditch the fork for the much lighter Ouzo Pro. He also mentioned that the QR rode like a horse & the Ouzo Pro would be much smoother.

My response was the QR is more aero but also has a "special" deep rim fork interaction that adds stability in cross/side winds. I know it is heavier. I think they are around 700g with the AL steerer. I think is AL or & not Crom/moly. Does/did it come with a carbon steerer any lighter? Anyone know the weights for sure? Given new forks are coming out in the sub 400g it does seem to weigh alot.

In IMH 01 a really, really bad wind year I (130 lbs) was blow all over the road while using it the deep Zipps so I'm hesitant to make any changes unless I can really be sure I'm not making things worse. My training wheels are the Rolf Vector Comp. But at the same time I'm always trying to stay abreast of technology upgrades etc can improve performance, stability & handling & make it lighter.

Still in looking over past info, John Cobb included great things are said about the Carbonaero fork. Not much out there today that seems to "beat it" on both the aero & weight parameters. While the Ouzo Pro certainly is lighter I hear its not as aero. I also read that after doing the installation the final weight jumps to 440 from 385g so some weight advantage is lost.

Any input from knowledgable sources would be appreciated.

Also wondering what folks stems weigh? In order to get mine Aerial to fit right I have a dorky long, hi rise stem but found out weights 200g which to me seems fairly reasonable to other road stems.

Thanks,

Barbara
Quote Reply