Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Brick and lower back stiffness
Quote | Reply
So last year I did a couple of sprints, and well let's just say that short distance
is not my strength(read Clyde). This year I decide to go a little longer and do a couple of 1/2IM's.

I'm out this weekend for my first LSD and I put in a 120KM ride - a tortoise speed T2 and then out for a planned 45min easy run.I head out of the driveway waddling like a duck with my lower back that is stiff as a 100 year old man. I figure I will just run through it, and after a few KM's it will dissipate. It doesn't, and within 3-4KM I return home for a well deserved recovery beer.

Is this back stiffness just a lack of experience and it will go away with practice or is there some strength/stretching that I can do to get through this? How do you all get through this?

Note: I already spend 3 workouts/week where I do back extensions/crunches and some light stretching.

put the mettle to the pedal
Quote Reply
Re: First Brick and lower back stiffness [brettc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I experienced a lot of lower back pain while training for 1/2 IM and it was due to being too stretched out on the bike. It could also be due to improper hip rotation or staying tense on the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: First Brick and lower back stiffness [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh - you could be on to something with being too tense on the bike. My new ride is the first time I have been on a Tri-specific bike and I am not completely at home with hanging off the front yet. Maybe all I need is some more time on the aero bars and lots more stretching.

I know we can rule out the fit as being a problem - cuz I was fitted by someone who is well respected in this forum(Endurosport).

Quote Reply
overuse? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does that 120K compare to other rides you've done this year? I'm thinking that if it is longer than usual, it may be simple overuse. If so, cut it shorter and build up.

"My strategy is to start out slow and then peter-out altogether" Walt Stack
Quote Reply
Re: overuse? [C2KRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until now I've been stuck doing most of my rides on the trainer. I've only been out twice this year, with my longest ride @2hrs. My longest ride on the trainer was also ~2hr. My ride this week-end was ~4hrs.
I felt strong for most of the ride - it was just the last 10k or so when I started to tire and I never felt any problems in my back. The main reason I went for so long this time was to test out my
on-board nutrition/hydration plan (worked great - just stayed out a little too long and ran dry for the last 15km).

Maybe I pushed a little too far this ride...... I'll call this a BT session ;)

"My strategy is to start out slow and make it to the finish-line before the course closes" Brett C.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: overuse? [brettc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, too long for your current fitness level. That's all.
Quote Reply
Re: overuse? [brettc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had this problem too when I first started riding extend periods on aero bars. Learning to flatten your back and relax your upper body will help a lot. Riding outside is different because hit bumps and steering make you tense up.
Quote Reply
Re: overuse? [ncooksey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think tribriguy about sums it up for us; and ncooksey that is a good point about hitting bumps in the road. I almost bit it a couple of times this ride. We are into Spring thaw here and the roads are really bad - in an area known for it's extremely poor quality of roads. Maybe I shouldn't have had those new tires pumped up to 150psi. It's a little unnerving to hit a bump and your arm doesn't land back down on the armrest.

So, I just need to ride it out, so to speak. That's good - because otherwise I'm going to look pretty freakin' funny running like a duck and moving just as fast.

thanks all

Quote Reply