Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

fork/headset wobble...
Quote | Reply
my setup looks like this:
  • 2001 litespeed saber w/non-integrated head tube
  • campy record 1 1/8" threadless headset
  • profile BSC all carbon fork

my local bike shop fit these puppies together when i purchased this last year, and after a few rides, i'm noticing a slight wobbling of the fork's steerer tube in the head tube. i've disassembled the front-end, and re-assembled to see if i could take out some slack, but to no avail. i've done this about three times hoping to eliminate any gaps.

the only noticeable issue i see is that when seating the plastic compression ring, i have to use a good deal of force to get it down to where the top cover and the upper head tube cup can meet. i have been using the top cover, flipped upside down, to push the compression ring down.

anyone have any ideas to remove this slight wobble? did i cheap out on the record headset? i'm fairly adept at maintenance and repairs, so any help is appreciated.

many thanks...
Quote Reply
Re: fork/headset wobble... [golferboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a friend that had teh same problem with a different fork but his was all carbon as well... He did something which I would not reccomend but it worked for him... instead of a compression doodad he put a star spangled nut in there which allowed him to get things tight enough... I don't think that this is a good idea but it worked for him... other than that haev you tried calling profile to see if they have been having the smae problem with other people's forks? if so maybe there is the possibility that there may be a defect... Since you seem to have ruled out the headet as the source of the problem maybe you should be looking into the fork... also have you tried using a new compression plug in your fork? It would be worth a shot
Quote Reply