Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wildflower - It's not looking so good
Quote | Reply
April 26ths Bradley forecast:

Fri May 02 Showers 69°/42° 40 %

Sat May 03 Showers 67°/42° 40 %

Sun May 04 Showers 69°/42° 30 %

Lets hope this is one of the many times the forecasters are off.
Last edited by: jaylew: Apr 27, 03 0:15
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower - It's not looking so good [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaylew, not sure if you're a wildflower vet, but that rain may make for a cooler race! last year's race was smoking hot and i'd bet the majority of the competitors would have loved a downpour.

i guess the flipside is that the campgrounds likely turn into a sloppy mud pit, which makes for miserable sleeping conditions.

not sure which is better: tough sleep / good race or good sleep / tough race. i figure i'm so juiced up the night before a race anyway (and who can sleep with all the TNT cheering or CalPoly partying), that cool racing conditions would be more welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower - It's not looking so good [golferboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's an ever changing thing this weather forecast. Now it is saying showers for Friday and Saturday, partly cloudy for Sunday. Who knows what it will be by tomorrow.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Last edited by: Mike Plumb: Apr 27, 03 9:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, that's sugar coating it... I have backpacked, climbed and done triathon's in extreme cold, extreme heat, dry... but, rain, ...well, that just su$ks - period. Heat is tolerable...Cold is tolerable... but, add rain and it becomes miserable and unsafe.

I did a triathlon once where it rains so hard that you barely see the road With a death grip on the bars - so I wouldn't bust my arse -, I did an oly distance tri. It was not fun. While I was on the bike, my bike shoes dipped into the water that had built up on the road. Like lifting 3 lbs. of weight each spin. Oh yea, not to mention the ungodly blisters that form during the run... Yep, I think the cool weather will make up for that - not.

As for 80+ degrees heat...Where I train, that is not hot... come down to the desert southwest... and check out 100 degree plus temps. Most of the time, I hope for 80 degree weather. In fact, I've been training in 75-80 degree weather for weeks... I have already prepped for a little 80 degr. temps. It's just that there is very little training you can do to adjust for rain.

I guess it's all relative. But, when it comes to rain, it just not good - period. Now, an overcast will be nice.

Now that you heard me whine... I still can't wait for WF. ...Just have to "cowboy up" for the rain.

Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower - It's not looking so good [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They say there is one more spring storm hanging off the Pacific, the sooner it gets here, the sooner it leaves. The weather report for the Bay Area calls for rain next weekend, then we get our typical pattern of beautiful days until November...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, it will just be like the UK Half Ironman - raining and 14C (that's 57F for you non-metric types). From the course description it sounds pretty similar too in terms of hill climbing.

For a great race report from HIMUK have a look at http://www.xtri.com/article.asp?id=754

Cheers,
dt.
Quote Reply