Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ear plug advice
Quote | Reply
I just bought a pair of no name silicone ear plugs to try out but I am having a really hard time keeping them in my ears. I can't believe that they are all this problematic because, if so, no one would wear them. Can any ear plug wearers offer some advice/tips? Is there a preferred material for plugs? Is there a noticeable difference between no name and name brand ("Mack's") plugs? Thanks, JKW.
Quote Reply
Re: Ear plug advice [JKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only use Mack's because the store near my apartment carries them in big quantities. Here are some things that I have found helpful in keeping the earplugs in your ears:

1. Dry your ear before you put them in. Most pools require you to shower before you enter the pool. If you leave water behind the plug, it won;t stick as well.
2. Push the thing into your ear, despite what the manf. recommends. Obviously, don't push it hard
enough to cause pain, but you get the idea.
3. Pull your swim cap down over your ears.
4. Throw away the plugs when they start to look the least bit dirty. Once they start to get that grey look to them, they're shot. Start a new pair.
5. Keep your plugs in a little plastic case so they don't roll around your swim bag and pick up dirt that will hamper their effectiveness. (this case double as a nice wedding ring/ jewelry holder ;-)

That's about it. Hope these work as well for you as they have for me.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Macks!! Never used anything else so I cannot compare. However, they do the job, and do it good; never had a problem. Also, you have to love their ad campaigns.

Henk

Alex Jonker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do not get any satisfaction out of the retail ear plugs, consider going to an ear doctor and getting fitted for an ear plug. I blew out my eardrum scuba diving several years ago. A properly fitting ear plug is essential for me to avoid an ear infection. The plug cost approx. $50 plus office visit. It fits very well but it needs to be replaced every couple of years for optimum fit due to changes in ear canal.

Hope it helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also try wearing a swim cap and covering your ears with it. When I get my yearly dose of swimmers ear, that method helps me a lot with keeping them in. Use the latex ones from
Speedo, or Tyr or Nike. They're tight enough and stay in one place.
Quote Reply